Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. wanderer1

wanderer1 Forum Resident

the lack of studio outtakes in Vol 13 seems to indicate plans for inclusion in the future. Shot of Love has tons of studio outtakes that would fit nicely on an early 80s set.

bonus, Syscrusher and Heart of Gold like this.
  2. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I can help you with that. It's a place called the "internet". And all of the live shows and recording sessions are free. :shh:

(You could download in 1 hour more than what it took some of us old farts 25 years to collect.)

3. S1m0ne

S1m0ne Forum Resident

I don't know if it's been said before, but since the Bootleg Series guys have changed their original plans for BS11 (which should have been about BOTT), putting out instead the Complete Basement Tapes as a kind of "prequel" to the Lost On The River album, and also for BS12 solving the copyright problems of 1965/66...I was wondering that it should be nice to have a live box 1986/87 as a tribute to the sad loss of Tom Petty, with a "best of live" on 2CDs from the US Tour and three full concerts from the European Tour on 3CDs (European Dylan-only gigs where shorter than 75 minutes), including a DVD with the full Hard To Handle Sydney concerts (and the Farm Aid 1985 set as a bonus in the extras): total of 5CDs and one DVD/BluRay.
    Title could be "Rebuilding The Temples".

4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I’d buy that for a dollar!

5. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

The new Scorsese film on the Rolling Thunder Tour is now in private screenings with a release date slated for next spring. There is no public source for this, but I have a friend that knows (specifically a friend of poet Anne Waldman, who helped with wardrobe on the R.T. Tour and whom had some involvement with the new film).

6. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

True, but what if they're not bad songs? Note that your not liking them doesn't make them bad.

I'm not saying that the case for them being good songs is so clear or simple, but neither case can just be assumed.

L.

7. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Great news. What a time to be a Bobfan! :goodie:

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

But from who? ;)

jpmosu likes this.
  9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

If the Scorsese film comes out this coming year, I’m convinced the BOTT/Desire and/or Rolling Thunder set will too.

10. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I think that’s already a given according to the Rolling Stone article. Only thing left to debate is how they frame it and the scope: RT only or include BOTT sessions too (and whatever is viable from the Desire sessions).

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Oh, yeah. I’m not pretending to be an oracle here.

12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"That DeeThomaz, he's no prophet."

DeeThomaz and stewedandkeefed like this.
  13. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

My guess is that they will not go Vol. 14 next year. They will go the 1966 Live Recordings route with the Rolling Thunder concerts. Though it will not include any of the material that wasn't performed by Bob during the tour (which is a lot) and that will tick a lot of people off.

I expect to have to wait til 2019 (at the earliest) to get Vol. 14, which will likely be BOTT. Though once again I really hope they don't bundle it with anything. Desire deserves its own set in the future. As does Planet Waves and Pat Garret. I'm not ready for BOTT set yet. (I cannot believe I just said that). Vol. 13 has been so much fun. Someone on the other thread suggested a Tom Petty/Dylan tour release next. That would be cool.

14. bem

bem Forum Resident

So you are suggesting archival alternating with bootleg series. At one point the gospel set was supposed to be released in the spring but was delayed u til fall because of Triplicate. I could not afford two massive box sets in the future, but I could afford a two or three CD set of something in the spring and something more substantial in the fall.

15. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

Yeah they always seem to release the Bootleg Series the same time in November. Also that was the case with the '66 recordings. I don't expect anything archival in the spring ever, either. Though I don't think that they will make a habit of the alternating format I feel like it makes the most sense next year if Scorcese's documentary is really coming out. All speculation.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  16. redsock

I know Sony won't do this, but when they finally get around to the Blood on the Tracks Box, they should include a reproduction of the pages from the red notebook(s).

17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

So, although I have every edition of the Bootleg Series in one form or another, I'm not the Dylanologist some of you guys are. But, it seems to me, the obvious choice, and more obvious than the Slow Train Coming-Saved-Shot Of Love era, is the, drumroll please, (and Oscar The Grouch, @redsock, just said this)--The Blood On The Tracks era. What else would Vol. 14 be? Infidels super deluxe edition?

Archtop likes this.
  18. RayS

I wouldn't be certain that that is not an option. It would be the ultimate in ephemera, and USEFUL and lasting ephemera, to coin a paradoxical phrase.

19. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

this is probably a more exciting prospect than BOTT for the majority of dylanologists out there!

wavethatflag likes this.
  20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Photos that include words are worth a thousand photos that don’t.

One of Aristotle’s, I believe.

RayS likes this.
  21. INSW

INSW Senior Member

They're right in front of you, they're free - and with most artists but especially Dylan - they're often a jaw-dropping revelation.

Jimmy B. and NaturalD like this.
  22. RayS

A noted photography enthusiast. :)

jay.dee and NumberEight like this.
  23. redsock

I was looking through the Dylanologists book and it stated that access to the stuff at the Morgan Library (including the notebooks) is extremely restricted while Dylan is alive.

24. redsock

25. RayS

I'd suspect if there's any person who would have access, it would be the guy who wrote them. That, of course, assumes Dylan would care enough to put in that call.

DeeThomaz likes this.