Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I figure they should have mixed/mastered it right the first damn time. No sale.

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

"The original mastering engineer had been drinking, not me". - Tom Waits.

bjlefebvre and Kevin j like this.
  3. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

I am enjoying the Real Gone with the new mix. Even the new Hoist That Rag is growing on me.

Jesus Jeronimo and inaptitude like this.
  4. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

Same here. Beginning to dig the new Hoist That Rag much more: the whole thing sounds a lot more......latin, if I may say so. I can totally understand what someone above is metioning in terms of a boat leaving Cuba. Which in this case is a good thing, surprisingly!!

J

sailingsinkingships likes this.
  5. SoreFinger

SoreFinger Forum Resident

I'll try to make it more specific how the two versions of Bad as Me differ which I can say is definitely an improvement across the board with this one, and these notes also pretty much sum up the Blood Money remaster too:

Warmer, Less Compressed, Instruments arrive in their own space instead of blending into the 'wall', Ingredients are obvious, They groove more as you become more aware of counter beats and the way things lock together, Notes carry more weight but not because of a volume increase and are also smoother and balanced, Inky black background creating the expectation of sound, Vocals less sharp without losing their edge and timbre.

I own the vinyl and for me, as I've said, there is no competition between the versions. This doesn't mean it's night and day, but when your favourite artist makes adjustments and they work then it's worthwhile in my eyes. These albums deserve subtle enhancements IF they work and I'm happy to confirm that Bad as Me and Blood Money knock it out of the park. Admittedly, I do have a sensitive system that spots these changes easier than some may hear and definitely more than Spotify was able to do for me (which I tried to compare versions on first before buying the vinyl). I'm also not a mug or rich so do not buy remasters for the sake of it and I quite happily sell on anything that doesn't meet my high standards. I think these remasters have been approached delicately and lovingly but the uproar from people surrounding the remixed Real Gone is drowning out the appreciation of the other titles.

I'll attack Alice and Real Gone later in more detail for those who are interested.

6. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Wonderful review and much appreciated. I have one off-topic question though. Is a "mug" a UK equivalent to a (easy) mark?

Lars1966 and SoreFinger like this.
  7. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Hoist that mug!

Mateo Sanboval and SoreFinger like this.
  8. SoreFinger

Thanks. Haha, yes... a 'mug' in the UK is exactly as you say, "an (easy) mark". You can be a mug, be mugged off, taken for a mug, and you can say "are you mugging me off?" (but that particular use is usually found around London rather than the North :righton: I assume it comes from the same family as being mugged, as in robbed.

Dayfold, DeeThomaz and Mateo Sanboval like this.
  9. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Beautiful. I love it. Cheers.

SoreFinger likes this.
  10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Thanks for clueing me in on this usage.

SoreFinger likes this.
  11. SoreFinger

You're both welcome haha :righton:

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  12. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Table Top Joe has trombone added to it. Wonder what else has been fiddled with?

DeeThomaz likes this.
  13. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

:laugh: Well, too late now of course, but I broke down and bought Real Gone today. Will listen to it later. Kind of dismayed to read the other titles are improved from the originals - I really don't want to have to buy them again...

14. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Ha, and me. I'm still determined not to double-dip though, despite some great comparative descriptions from SoreFinger and others in this thread. I've had a brief listen on Spotify and the differences are apparrent enough that I would like to hear the records. If Santa happens to drop some record vouchers down my chimney, well maybe...!

SoreFinger likes this.
  15. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

We all know how’s it gonna end... ;)

Geoff, SoreFinger, Porkpie and 2 others like this.
  16. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Has anyone compared the CD editions?

17. SoreFinger

I meant to write back sooner but been quite busy. I'll just give a few quick notes on Alice and Real Gone:

I think that with Alice (my favourite TW LP) there aren't enough positives that outweigh the negatives. The positives are that it is perfectly pressed with a silent inky black background; it is beautifully detailed with some never before heard details (or at least that details come to the fore that weren't so present before); certain songs really shine with this production, BUT the negatives begin with the fact that , in direct comparison, there is more to fall in love with on the original mix. Let's be clear, I think the original Alice is pretty flawless, hence why it may be my favourite album of all time, and that's a big accolade. Tom's voice has lost some of it's warmth and it's confessional, whispered in the ear intimacy; The music has been brought forward which, while admittedly being interesting to hear, it has stolen focus from Tom... not on everything but on enough to put this mix behind in terms of overall consistency and greater immersion into Tom's world. It has placed a gossamer thin veil between the listener and Tom's vocal chords.

Real Gone is, as I've said, a completely different animal, and depending on your curiosity can be see as a welcome shuffle of focus on some of the songs, or for others it may be sacrilegious. I was intrigued enough to buy it and I have to say the jury is still out: All the songs are great in both of their incarnations and it's difficult to settle into a definitive answer BUT I will for the sake of consistency: I think I prefer, as an overall listening experience, the original mix. The main deal breaker for me was Day after Tomorrow... I always thought the original could have done with being a bit louder and clearer, but be careful what you wish for. It is now louder & clearer but the music is distracting from the absolute majesty of that song. I literally cry EVERY time i hear that song, but on the new version I LISTEN and admire the ingredients but I don't cry. It's amazing what a slight shift in focus can do to a song and an album.

Anyway, I hope these little nuggets have helped in some way... they help me to understand my thoughts too so nothing is wasted. Roll on Mule Variations... I've got the box set of Orphans so won't be getting those and not that interested in Glitter & Doom. Buy Blood Money and fall in love all over again, buy Bad as Me and feel the dynamics of that record that weren't as present before, buy Real Gone if You NEED to hear those remixes, BUT I say track down a readily available original Alice if your copy is a little noisy.

So... when's the new album going to surface Tom?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  18. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

^^Another great post, thank you.
    This was exactly my reaction when listening to Day After Tomorow on Spotify. The remix sounds great, almost making the original sound like a demo, but it's somehow missing the heartbreaking confessional intimacy (as you noted with Alice) that makes the original so powerful.

I haven't listened to the Blood Money or Bad As Me remasters yet. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Mule...

Cheers

SoreFinger likes this.
  19. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

I can't distinguish the new ones from the old on amazon. Anyone wanna help?

20. SoreFinger

He sounds shattered on the original and world weary, and exactly the same take sounds more strident and confident on the remix... who'd have thunk it.

21. SoreFinger

Do you mean you don't know which version to buy to get the latest mix or that you can't tell by listening how they differ?

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I took a look on Amazon, and they seem to have the 2017 edition of Real Gone. However, there is no indication on the front of the packaging about it being remixed/mastered. Would it have hurt them to make it clear, since copies of the older version are out there?

23. SoreFinger

I see what you mean. This is the version and it states it is the remix but only the vinyl version has it in the title it seems:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Gone-...id=1512433967&sr=8-1&keywords=real+gone+vinyl

24. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

So no embossed cover this time for Real Gone either. Well, I just read on Discogs that the CD cover is embossed so you can strike a match with it. You know what? I’ve just tested and it works. This maybe old news for you, but I’m stunned.

oldjollymon likes this.
  25. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Can't figure out which to buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.