New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Which is a good thing imo

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Thank you.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don’t think the price is the problem. I think the MOFI one-steps are worth the $100 price if you love the album. Although the Classic 45 releases were 4 discs for $50 (or about $70 here in Japan) and sounded great, they used generic packaging, no extras, and the one-sided pressings were probably unnecessary. I have the old Pepper and Tea for Tillerman UHQR boxes, and they are nice but I swear they were $50 even back then? Does anyone remember how much they were?

My issue is with the decision to do them at 33rpm. I have visions of it being similar to the recent Simple Dreams reissue with 2 inches of dead wax on each side. I’ll probably give the Hendrix mono a shot, but if it looks like that, I won’t get fooled again.

4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Up to $500 asking price currently.

5. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

ru referring to the "just a little lovin" LP? I have the AP 33 and I'm blown away.. u mean the 45 blows away the 33? hmmmmm

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They clearly underestimated demand at first.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  7. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I'm expecting the UHQR to be the pinnacle of their offerings in both packaging and sound so this would be disappointing if this became the case.

8. Matt R.

Matt R. Forum Resident

That, or they wanted to create a buzz by keeping the number low to begin with.

9. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

This is a bad joke. Not 45, no 1-step, a questionable vinyl formulation that may actually sound worse than standard vinyl.

Looks to me like you’re paying $100 (plus shipping!) for a fancy box. Send a message that this isn’t good enough, cancel your pre-orders.

Vinylfindco, jasonsouza77 and Tullman like this.
  10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I think the first two titles were a test, how many they can sell.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I see the release is for both albums and available on SACD. Finally.

Bring. It. On. *swooooooon*

(I hope Paul Simon is paying attention).

12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The SACDs with both mixes on one disc, that can also be ripped to digital files is simple enough for me. STONE FREE, suckas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Ha ha, your disappointment is evident!
    The point regard the vinyl. I have no doubt about how good it sounds.
    Maybe the negative comments attached to this type if plastic is really simply poorly pressed albums and not the clarity vinyl itself.
    Saying again, my one and only clarity record shines, stunning, exlempory in fact. The best BoG I own by quite a margin. I have original reprise, track, polydors, classic 180 and 200grm to check it against.
    Silent. Just the music....... Wonderful Clarity vinyl. Pressed well the vinyl will make a bigger impact than speed and one step.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  14. Gordon Johnson

One step.
    Sorry that in this instance I don't get a chance experience it first hand.
    That said, I really do struggle with the idea that I would hear any difference in the recording.
    Dropping ONE generarional step from a record will be unnoticeable?
    Combined with careful production we should hear a " better" record but still would we hear that generational difference on a gramaphone record?

15. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Clearly I don't know if the UHQR Clarity on 33 RPM will be better than One Step on 45 RPM,I know that my few records on Clarity vinyl sound wonderful.

16. Gordon Johnson

Half speed.
    I have some and I like them but honestly a big difference? Not even close to big, slight and how much of that slight is my wanting, listening for a difference?
    And how much is the difference I do hear more to do with better quality control rather than speed?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. Classicrock

I would be surprised if this (mono version) sounds more than slightly better than the Classic 200 gram SVP Axis Bold As Love. The Classic Clarity was better than black but not by a large enough margin to justify $100. Can't be certain there is much benefit in the one step process without like for like to compare, but 45 rpm certainly makes a significant difference. Certainly would expect 45 rpm over 4 sides for the money being asked for these.

giantleech and Tullman like this.
  18. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Perfect,You have hit the problem: the quality control,is inamidsible that at these price a record can be warped,dished (very common) or play bad for pressing residues.

19. Gordon Johnson

Having posted my thinkng (allowed!) I should reiterate that I have ordered both and am looking forward to what should be first rate records.
    Wonder if the essay will match the vinyl?

20. Gordon Johnson

Can I ask what difference you hear between speeds? And is that difference solely down to that application or better care taken with a 45rpm lp?

21. Classicrock

It's just a more powerful and in most cases more detailed presentation. Wider soundstage, greater depth and smoother /more relaxed presentation. Better all round if done right.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  22. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Part of me might just forego the vinyl and opt for the SACDs, although, well, I'm hopeless.

giantleech likes this.
  23. Gordon Johnson

Come in Terry, you know you want it :righton:

Terry likes this.
  24. Gordon Johnson

Is that all down to speed?

From what you list here, I can and have attianed all these points on all of my records with a hardware change or two.

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've preordered the mono release. I'm holding off on the stereo release for now. I might be wrong, most likely I will be, but I don't think the stereo release will sell out soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.