Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Oct 19, 2017.

1. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

A lot of live shows are mixed like that. Aren't they all?
    I don't know if it was intentional or not, but they didn't even balanced the left/right channel volume and some songs suffer from that treatment, a lot.
    If you listen to the actual recording, you might agree it's mixed in a very unusual fashion, even considering what you've said.

2. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Any chance one of you fine folks would be willing to measure the DR of the CD/Blu-ray remaster and upload to the database?

jay.dee, vox.jubilante and RangerXT like this.
  3. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Peart had stated before in the British Weekly press that when the crowd at the Glasgow Apollo sung Closer To The Heart during the AFTK tour it was one of the greatest moments of his life and in general terms they were very grateful to their UK audience therefore the plan was always to capture that atmosphere. They always felt though that when they knew they were recording live gigs it was never quite nailed so I think they were open to recording a few to take the pressure off.....as it turned the grand master plan changed but I always felt the inclusion of the MP tour material sat uneasy with the PW stuff. ESL sounds uneven and it always did.

I was there both nights in June 1980 in Glasgow and the gigs were special-the crowd was hyped and the noise unbelievable because it was known it was being recorded but I do think the best I saw them was a year later on the...Exit Stage Left tour I think that was their live peak albeit the Glasgow Apollo (a very special venue) wasn't visited....I travelled to 3 gigs across the UK on that tour.

ytserush, keiron99, RangerXT and 4 others like this.
  4. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

The CD got it's audio from the video, not the broadcast.

ytserush and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Please fill out your profile page with your listening equipment.

RangerXT likes this.
  6. pool_of_tears

Strange, I don't find this new mix of the 1978 to sound harsh. I like the very dry and upfront mix on this. The more spacious and compressed mix/mastering on Different Stages is hard on the ears.

7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I'm going to give it another chance. Something was just rubbing me the wrong way about the EQ when I first listened to it. Maybe my ears that day, maybe I was in a bad mood or maybe I just don't like it. Different Stages was indeed very compressed to your point, but that is more a bi-product of the mastering and not the stereo mixdown.

ytserush and RangerXT like this.
  8. pool_of_tears

It's all good. I've heard only pieces of it at a friend's house just to do A/B comparisons on the new mix vs. the old one. I ordered mine today, and can't wait to hear it when it arrives.

RangerXT and johnny q like this.
  9. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

In the last few days I’ve listened to Steven Wilson’s recent 5.1 mixes of Three Piece Suite and Black Sea, so in that context I just listened to the 5.1 mix of A Farewell To Kings. Holy moly, these mixes of his are absolutely killer.

I kinda stopped listening to Rush 20-25 years ago, but I’ve always loved the Mercury albums. I’m really glad I got this. It’s a very active surround mix. To paraphrase Boogie Nights: “I like simple pleasures, like vibraslap in my rear channels, Taurus pedals in my subwoofer. That’s just me, that’s something I enjoy.”

jamesc, RangerXT, JediJoker and 2 others like this.
  10. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Just filled it out, hope it helps.
    I have two systems (one for my PC - bookshelf speakers, DAC and stereo only, the other for home cinema/compatible with 5.1 mixes, the usual system) and I filled out the former since that's the one I used to listen to that particular recording.

rbichamp, RangerXT and pool_of_tears like this.
  11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Man, those Taurus pedals — geez Louise, I may need to get a set of those for myself

12. tonewheeltom

Get yourself a Moog Minitaur. I A/B-ed mine with a band member’s Taurus 3 and it’s just as good, and not OOP.

RangerXT, JediJoker and aphexj like this.
  13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Those detailed notes by Peart were included in the Japan 1st Pressing Cd's booklet as well. I always wondered where they originated.

RangerXT and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. musicdav24

musicdav24 Forum Resident

Hi everyone. I compared the new remaster to the more recent remasters (the MFIT) and found this new one to be lower in volume. Does that bother anyone or am I the exception :)

RangerXT likes this.
  15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Why Steven didn't remix 'Farewell To Kings' in STEREO as well?

:shake:

ytserush and RangerXT like this.
  16. tonewheeltom

I’m sure he did. That’s part of his process to the surround mixes. Maybe Rush didn’t want to be endlessly assaulted on social media and audiophile forums that they were revisionists and that nothing could top their first pressing cassette! ;)

Marillion’s Misplaced Childhood set from this year also just had his 5.1 mix. Let’s hope it isn’t a trend in the multidisc sets.

kannibal, Rupe33, RangerXT and 2 others like this.
  17. pool_of_tears

It doesn't need a remix.

keiron99 and RangerXT like this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, it is always the band's decision.

19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I think ALL 70s and 80s Rush albums could benefit from a proper stereo remix

Just imagine all the nuances and details from 'Xanadu' buried in the mix

RangerXT and SickAgain like this.
  20. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I assume those are the Sectors masters from Andy VanDette. I think you'll find that most on here do not care for those and were far more enamored of the latest (2015) masters from Sean Magee. That is the stereo master used for this set (CD and Blu-ray).

Plan9, RangerXT and DBR70 like this.
  21. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

I’m listening to the vinyl right now. I don’t find Terry Brown’s mix to be unbalanced at all. The snare and kick drums are centered in the stereo field and I don’t notice that they are pulled more to the left channel. The toms don’t increase in volume as Peart executes fills, which pan from right to left when he starts on the concert toms and works his way down to the floor tom.

The bass guitar, by nature, is not going to cut in the same way as the high mids from the guitar. The high mids are going to reach your ears before the bass - the sign of a proper mix/master job.

All in all, this is really well done in my opinion. Very authentic to the way the band actually sounded. Terry Brown obviously didn’t compress the hell out of the mix or do a revisionist mix and certainly Sean Magee has a reputation for not adding much limiting and EQ when he masters. The other thing I love about Magee’s cutting chain is that he uses an all tube chain. Even if he’s cutting from a digital file, having the audio pass through tubes on the way to the cutting head really seems to add depth and dimension back to the soundstage.

22. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

Agreed

RangerXT likes this.
  23. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

Check out the Magee cut of Moving Pictures. His tendency to use minimal compression and limiting does bring out some of the nuances that were sacrificed a bit when Bob Ludwig mastered the album in 1981

24. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

Wow! Very cool they played Discovery in 2112. I thought they had never played it until the T4E tour. Alex even in throws in a little of the Close Encounters motif. Nice!

Matthew Tate, JediJoker and RangerXT like this.
  25. I am usually a champion of ImportCDs. I pre-ordered The AFTK Box on 11/20.

There has been no explanation as to why it hasn't been shipped.

At present, the listing for this BoxSet is non-existent on their site.

Other vendors are out of stock as well. Is this a classic case of mis-estimation? Is there something else goin' on? Hmmmm ....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Matthew Tate, JediJoker and RangerXT like this.