Use Your Illusion Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

Axl Rose's increasingly bizarre stage costumes didn't help matters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

That one is bordering on the obscene!!!

3. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

Certainly enjoyed Right Next Door To Hell as a youngster...but it is far from a standout track on the album...one of those is coming up next though...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

When it came out, Spaghetti Incident was seen as a stopgap if anything. With 20/20 hindsight, some of it is cool and well-executed and most is sort of ok but I still wonder how Duff McKagan let that awful tacky version of "You Can't Put Your Arm Around A Memory" be released. A tribute it ain't; hope at least JT's estate got something out of it.

Just noticed those photos - if the internet would've been well established in the early 90's, Axl Rose and his bicycle shorts would've been the stuff memes are made of. :sigh:

DTK, Runicen and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. The Doctor

That song was actually pulled from his solo record and put on Spaghetti. I don't know why in all honesty. If you look at the lineup of the track, it's all Duff and his solo band. Duff was so unhealthy in 1993...His pancreas exploded from alcohol abuse early in '94 and he nearly died.

DTK, mtvgeneration, krock2009 and 3 others like this.
  6. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Self-indulgence is the name of the GnR game!!! :D

Ryan Lux and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Yeah, I can remember seeing that MTV Crib special, and then Duff's reaction when it was on That Metal Show. Can you honestly blame him for how horrifying it was to see that?
    And I'm so glad he made it, and came out, if not without a scratch, then at least better than Adler and certainly better than Weiland

8. The Doctor

The UYI tour took a massive toll on Duff's health.

1990:
    [​IMG]

1993:
    [​IMG]

DTK and Runicen like this.
  9. The Doctor

The ironic thing is that Adler was the most messed yet he aged the best:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Runicen and andrewskyDE like this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

I don't really think Izzy and Matt look that bad. But as far as Axl goes, when Steven Adler has aged better than you, you're really ****ed

11. The Doctor

[​IMG]

DTK, Runicen and andrewskyDE like this.
  12. Zoot Marimba

Yep, Axl isn't too happy with my comment

13. The Doctor

You could say Axl's looks are just....DUST N' BONES!

Speaking of which....

A very cool track but I wish Axl had sung on it. I love Izzy's songwriting but I'm not a big fan of his voice. It's a really cool, very '70s sounding tune. Axl once compared it to "Cherokee People" and I can see the similarities, it has that mid 70s rock sound to it. It's one of the few tracks where Dizzy's keyboard work actually adds to a song rather than takes away from it. It's definitely got a cool groove and vibe. It's a good song but it's missing that Appetite venom for me.

14. Zoot Marimba

Let's wait until tomorrow to talk about Dust N Bones

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Axl and Dizzy were even the last members after the others left the group one by one around the mid-1990s before searching for new members.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. The Doctor

You know Dizzy was kicked out briefly for playing on the Slash's Snakepit album? I don't know he got back into Axl's good graces but for a time around 1995 he was out of the band....

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I never heard that album before. Is it worth getting it?

18. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Subscribed! UYI I and II have a special place in my heart. Yea, there are some duds, but so many tracks that put me back in my teenage years immediately. It was truly one of the first albumseses I loved. I was 12 when they came out. Back then, UYI II was my favorite. These days, UYI I is probably just a hair better to me. Not to make this about SQ, but I do find the original vinyl pressings to be infinitely better, sonically, than any reissue or CD I've had. But, I haven't heard that many CD versions so I'm sure a good one is out there somewhere.

DTK likes this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Actually I don't know much about the band after the mid-90s. Sorry if I'm wrong at some points.

[Edit:] My memory wasn't good about this. But I read something similar on Wiki a while ago.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  20. The Doctor

If you enjoy GN'R, or you enjoy 70s Punk and Rock, I'd say yeah. It gets a bad rap because it came out during a bum time in GN'R's history. For a cover album, it's very fun and inventive. GN'R actually covers a Doo Wop song from 1958 and in my opinion does a great job of it. Another gem with Axl and Michael Monroe singing:
    A

It has much better production/mixing than the UYIs and is more just a fun dumb ride and not at all serious. It's not pompous or grandiose.

21. The Doctor

Well, another fact is the album "It's Five O' Clock Somewhere" was intended to be the next GN'R album. Slash & Gilby Clarke wrote it together and presented it to Axl (pretty much full fledged songs) and Axl said no. So then Slash, Gilby, Matt, and Dizzy (with GN'R touring sideman Teddy Andreadis) went ahead and recorded it and got a singer to write vocals for their instrumentals. Axl then asked for 3 songs back for GN'R to work on; Slash said no. Axl tried to sue Slash for the songs claiming that any songs written by a GN'R member with the intention of being GN'R songs were legally GN'R songs. Legal wrangling ensued and the album ended up being released. It features 4/6th of GN'R at the time (Duff didn't contribute but he co-wrote one song, as did Izzy Stradlin). That album drove an even bigger wedge between Axl and Slash and was one of the last straws....

Also, the Gilby Clarke songs "Skin N' Bones", "Tijuana Jail" and "Cure Me...or Kill Me" were also intended for GN'R but were also rejected by Rose. Ironically the song Skin N' Bones named the 1993 GN'R tour. But the songs were traditional rock at a time when Axl wanted to do grunge music. Slash features on Tijuana Jail and Cure Me or Kill Me.

22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wow! Such a mess.

23. The Doctor

One of the Snakepit songs, a ballad called Back and Forth Again, was actually demoed by GN'R around late 1993/early 1994 and you can hear a snippet of that demo in the link below: Slash playing the riff and Axl whistling and then humming a melody over it during the "Making of Estranged" video. Basically the the closest thing to a new GN'R song we'll ever get:

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. Zoot Marimba

No, that is a horrible album. Basically, it's a bloated stadium act doing really sterile and lifeless punk covers

Standoffish and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. The Doctor

One of the Snakepit demos.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.