Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm listening to more of that new Wes Montgomery in Paris from Resonance. That is my favorite historic release this year and one of of favorite of any category for 2017. Kudos to the sound team for making the vinyl sound so good considering the length of two of the four sides. Side A & B would have been problematic in 1970 but with today's technology they were able to produce good results. The bass sounds a little muted to me which might have been the loser in the mix but considering the vintage of the live recording it isn't bad at all. The overall sound is too good to worry about a little more bass. It's also nice to know that Harold Mabern and the other musician's families are benefiting from this release.

bluemooze, bluejimbop and recstar24 like this.
  2. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Preferences are not debatable, even our personal ones are always changing. I prefer the trio, live if possible. Feel like he was more comfortable there than on any other format.
    Curiously, for me his highpoint - intro of Nardis (keystone 1980) - kind of a solo performance. Probably he would fly that high because he knew the other guys were ready to jump with a safe net.

bluemooze and Six String like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Herbie Hancock - The Piano (Columbia) Japanese direct-to-disc
    Solo piano of standards.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Thelonious MonkPiano Solo — The Centennial Edition / Paris 1954 (Disques Vogue Legacy — Sony Music France / Swing Records 10" LP M. 33.42)
    — solo piano; plus five previously unreleased trio tracks recorded in concert in Paris in June, 1954.

[​IMG]

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Those Keystone recordings are excellent. I have a few friends who were at some of the shows and they said his played with an urgency they hadn't seen before. Did he have a gut feeling he wasn't long for this world? I arrived here five years too late to attend one of those shows.

NP Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Relaxes (Prestige/Moodsville) navy blue mono pressing.
    This is an interesting group with the Hawk.

Ronnell Bright - p
    Kenny Burrell - g
    Ron Carter - b
    Andrew Cyrille - d

Recorded February 28,1961

bluemooze and Yesternow like this.
  6. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

I assume the new Japanese issue is the one-CD version?

7. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

One of my favorites from Frank,picked up the double album for a $1.00 at Half Price Books a couple of weeks ago,the records are mint..i was happy!
    The band is pretty good to ;)
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, bluejimbop and vanhooserd like this.
  8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Cannonball was the producer or co-producer.

9. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I am imagining listening to Bobby Hutcheson, 'Happenings' (45rpm Music Matters), McCoy Tyner, 'The Real McCoy' (45rpm Music Matters) and Lee Morgan, 'The Procrastinator' (45rpm Music Matters).....but they don't arrive until tomorrow or Thursday. I'll be back for the conversation then! :cool: :thumbsup:

bluemooze, markp, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  10. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Una Muy Bonita from Change of the Century by Ornette Coleman is killing me at the moment, I need to get home from work to listen to it again.

11. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Oscar Peterson - Exclusively For My Friends (4cd set)
    I don't listen to OP a lot but these recordings are my favorites when I do.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Art FarmerPh.D. (Contemporary Records)
    — Art Farmer - flugelhorn, trumpet; Clifford Jordan - tenor saxophone; James Williams - piano; Kenny Burrell - guitar; Rufus Reid - bass; Marvin "Smitty" Smith - drums; tunes by James Williams (3), Clifford Jordan, Donald Brown, Thad Jones, Kenny Drew and Burke-Van Heusen.

[​IMG]

14. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Lars GullinPortrait Of My Pals (Capitol Records Sweden / EMI Music)
    — With Rolf Billberg (alto), Jan Allan (trumpet), Harry Backlund (tenor), Torgny Nilsson (trombone), Lars Sjosten (piano), a.o.; four bonus tracks.

[​IMG]

I noticed that dustygroove has a new copy of this CD for 99 cents.

bluemooze, Lonson and DTK like this.
  15. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

If that was the case then the name of David Axelrod would be there two.

I guess it was simply a marketing strategy - hope some Cannonball expert can clarify this.

Note:
    There are some great live performances around that time (1972). George Duke sounds amazing.
    Here's some:

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have the Hutcherson Happenings and it's one of my favorite MM BN's. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.:edthumbs:

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Johnny Griffin - Grab This! Featuring Paul Bryant on organ (Riverside) black stereo label
    Also joined by the great Joe Pass on guitar and Jimmy Bond and Doug Sides on bass and drums respectively in 1962.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Correct. But. . .it's not the original LP tracks. Confusing. . . it mirrors a Japanese cd release in'96 or '97.

19. Lonson

Yeah I noticed that a few months ago and left it there for someone as I had this already on cd for about five or six years. Then no one seemed to buy it . . . so I ordered it. . .and it turned out to be a newer, better sounding version than I had. And they still have .99 copies I guess!

20. Lonson

21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Bobby Hutcherson - San Francisco (Blue Note, The Masterworks Top 50, SHM-CD)

[​IMG]

bluemooze, bluejimbop, markp and 3 others like this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That title isn't referencing the Loggins & Messina hit, is it? :sweating: :yikes:

NP Introducing Johnny Griffin (Blue Note) Classic Records 200gm stereo reissue

With Wynton Kelly, Curly Russell and Max Roach.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Lonson

Yes, it is.

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Done in L.A.?

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

What format? Is this newly reissued well?