Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoreFinger

SoreFinger Forum Resident

Are you buying vinyl or CD?

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

3. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Tom also has them available on his own site.

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Amazon is currently showing the remastered Alice vinyl as $11.98 for prime members:

http://a.co/4N3I18R

5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

So when is orphans coming out on vinyl?

inaptitude likes this.
  6. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

That's not the remastered one. I checked. You see why it's confusing?

7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Checked how? I would not go by the clips, because they usually re-use samples (so you don't hear SH's mastering for AF titles, for example, nor do you get to download that version after purchase).

8. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I was under the impression it’s getting a digital only reissue.

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I don't think that's quite clear yet. Have you seen specific language?

10. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Nope, Orphans will be released on vinyl. Word is we'll get separate double LPs for Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards.

Wild Frank likes this.
  11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

So, no CD reissue?

12. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

That I don't know.

13. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Hunh. Where did you hear this?

14. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

Details on Toms site

15. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Tom Waits To Release Newly Remastered ANTI- Albums | News | Anti Records

The albums roll out beginning November 2017 and continue through December. All albums will be available on 180 gram vinyl.

11/10 – Bad As Me
    11/24 – Real Gone
    11/24 – Blood Money
    11/24 – Alice
    12/01 – Glitter and Doom
    12/15 – Mule Variations

2018 – Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards (released separately)

Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards (2006) This Grammy Nominated, Gold certified three disc set will be offered as separate records for the first time. The collection goes beyond a simple career retrospective with over 30 newly recorded songs and unique interpretations of songs by a diverse group of artists which include, The Ramones, Daniel Johnston, Kurt Weill & Bertolt Brecht and Leadbelly.

Williamson, frogfog and Kevin j like this.
  16. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

ASIN number. But also, if you look at the release date, it doesn't match.

17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

But the ASIN brings up the 180 g remastered version on the international Amazon sites. I wouldn't pay attention to the release date, it is correct at Amazon Japan, for example.

It is advertised as the 180 g remaster, so, if it isn't a Prime customer can return it at Amazon's cost.

18. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I haven't listened to the new remasters all the way through yet, but has anyone else noticed any other new overdubs, besides the trombone on Table Top Joe, on anything else? Just curious.

19. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

I purchased both Alice and Blood Money @ $11.98 each a week ago. I was expecting the "old" releases (figured they were blowing them out at the reduced price), but, much to my surprise, the copy of Blood Money I received was indeed the new remaster. Alice was, and is, out of stock, but I would assume it is also the latest release.

Just my $0.02...

20. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

So the bonus tracks will probably remain exclusive to the original box (7th LP).

21. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Record Store Day perhaps?

Porkpie and frogfog like this.
  22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Happy Sixty-eighth Birthday, Mr. Thomas Alan Waits.

23. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

I just bought Bad as Me reissue. Hard to tell this and original apart. Same everything, but I see 2017 etched in run out.

24. SoreFinger

I'll try and point out some specifics I noticed other than less compression/more air. I know that the Last Leaf original has Keith's harmony vocals louder and as a result sort of feels a little crowded. The new version sits him back slightly to allow more focus on Tom, and so it is with a few songs: Something comes slightly forward or something sits slightly back or there's more air. I think it's a more pleasing listen BUT I know the LP back to front so maybe those differences count to me. This isn't a remix and so any changes are subtle... also the vinyl is much quieter.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  25. SoreFinger

Ok, also after listening again to a couple of tracks it is still subtle but obvious to me. The louder tracks are more fatiguing to listen to on the original; I never really enjoyed Satisfied until I heard the new version - I don't wince when I'm listening. The slower songs have more space between the instruments and they are more pristine - not in a sterile way, just more dynamic. Maybe you loved it the way it was but because I always had niggles that stood out to me when it was played from beginning to end, I immediately knew I was enjoying it more. I then went about analysing why, but I admit, it's subtle but totally worth it to me. I've listened to Bad as Me more in the last few weeks than I ever did before so it can't be placebo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.