New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ha, I’ve been thinking the same ever since I saw the announcement. But, then I figured I’d always be curious (not to mention kind of bummed) if I didn’t get one, so I pre-ordered a copy of the stereo edition (as well as the SACDs). Like you said, hopeless...

2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I think I'm drawing the line at $100 new records.

4. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I have heard many reports over the years of Clarity vinyl being noisier than standard vinyl formulations. It’s possible that they’ve changed the formula to eliminate this problem, but for $100 I would not take that chance personally. I know plenty will though.

I am very excited for he SACDs though. I have hope they will be the definitive digital versions.

5. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

This thread has given me a lot to think about!!

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The groove spacing is wider. It's not the same thing as upgrading your system. These sound better on any decent turntable. You get an even bigger SQ boost the better front end you have. Not necessarily the case if one hour plus of music is squashed onto a single 33 rpm disc. Try a forum recommended 45 rpm record, it's cheaper and quicker than changing your hardware.

Merrick likes this.
  7. Gordon Johnson

Yep, fully agree about a boosted SQ once you allow more space between grooves. But this applies to a specific pressing, and I do own some and love them.
    You will find an SQ boost can be obtained by hardware choices. That applies across the board, all if your records. If course that is limited the greater the music " squashed" into an LP.
    I certainly don't agree with your cist assessment. Buy all of your records ( if it where) possible at 45 rpm prices and its clear it'll out run the cost of a hardware upgrade.

8. Classicrock

I'm not suggesting buy everything you can on 45 rpm but it isn't quite the same difference as hardware upgrades. I think I am where I want to be with front end without entering silly money lottery winner territory, so for me they are a good way of upgrading favourite albums. It just isn't an either / or situation. I don't usually buy both the 33 and 45 versions of audiophile titles. If it is a favourite (already owned) 45 would be preference. Something else less familiar with maybe get the 33 rpm version.

9. Gordon Johnson

Now we are talking groove spacing specifically.
    The mono BG 2000 outing used more if the side, spacing the groove across the full sides if the album.
    This gave a louder return, better SQ?
    The later mono BG mastered issue, standard black or Newbury orange had a greater dead wax area. Quieter.
    My preference, kidology or otherwise was the 2000.
    This next BG outing I'm guessing will again use as much of the vinyl side as possible. Given the flat profile ( no personnel experience here) it should reduce / eliminate any IGD.
    So in theory a greater SQ than the repress and the 2000.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I will buy this title, because it is important to me. However, some other titles, I may not fork out the money. For $100.00 I want it to be one step, at least.

rollo5 and mick_sh like this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That is true. A 45rpm is generally easier track than a 33 if it's a dynamically challenging album.

12. AnalogJ

There needs to be a balance between groove spacing and distance from the dead wax area. The farther away, the faster the groove speed and the better the fidelity.

13. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

A lot of assumptions in regards to this release. I’d hope for $100 that all your assertions about it are correct.

14. Gordon Johnson

The fidelity is improved with the flat profile being implemented or at least that's how I understand this process.

15. AnalogJ

Sure, but they're not the only nor the first to use it.

16. Gordon Johnson

Apologies for quoting my own post!! I was having to post from my phone earlier and so I got / get plenty of spelling errors!

Of rather than if!

Plus I posted a reply that was a little short!!

The only assumption here is the final line and that is really a question as much to myself as anyone else.

17. Classicrock

For what it's worth I think a wide deadwax to reduce IGD is overrated and in practice proves unnecessary especially with a good cartridge properly aligned. Proof of that can be found with originals and subsequent represses through the 70's and 80's. Most often the early cuts have a narrower dead wax and hence wider groove spacing. Coincidently or not they are usually the best sounding.

nitsuj likes this.
  18. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Yes, it's Hendrix and maybe with the best SQ ever. I need to have these (yes, I have ordered both finally) and we all know that waiting for reviews before buying is not an option here unless you are willing to pay way more than $100. Give me UHQR/UD1S Hendrix, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Elvis, Tom Waits, Billie Holiday or Sinatra and I will pre-order right away. Others? Maybe not.

rollo5, FashionBoy and jasonsouza77 like this.
  19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I agree. I have tons of classical LPs from the late 50s and 60s with a very narrow dead wax that sound wonderful. Also the Ludwig LZ II with a very narrow dead wax on side 2 sounds amazing.

20. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

I'm hoping for LZ too as well as PF dsotm or wywh.. hope 2 own the mofi LZ2 someday. if they have a 1 step or uhqr, I'm definitely on board :)

AtlTrav likes this.
  21. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Preach! I figure if they can shell out the cash to license a Jimi Hendrix album, they will do other prestigious artists like LZ!

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Beware, the BG mono AYE will be a disappointment. The SQ is nothing like Axis.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    rollo5 likes this.
  23. jasonsouza77

thank you brother.. my hopeful meter has just gone up.. hehe.. really sad to miss out when the LZ2 mofi was released.

24. jasonsouza77

saw this on music direct also. but there is no add to cart or preorder button

25. disraeli

disraeli Forum Resident

1. Just noticed these are not going to be released till next summer.

Wow, I've never preordered something so far in advance!

I imagine the demand is great. It says a strict limit of 1,500 mono copies and 5,000 of the stereo vinyl.

That seems really low for such iconic recordings.

Demand exceeding the offerings? Inquiring minds wanna know!

jasonsouza77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.