RocknRoll firsts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samthesham, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

We're not the Rolling Stones wearing skirts before Bowie? I think it was a photo where they were dressed in WAC uniforms...and one of them was in a wheelchair?

Chemguy likes this.
  2. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Charles Ives had two marching bands pass through each other playing different tunes...sure it wasn't "recorded" at the time but he had the concept first.

3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Then I guess Lou Reed invented him too! :laugh:

I was going more for a "two halves of the same coin" approach - pieces that stood on their own but combined to make a single piece. The Ives piece suggests two pre-existing pieces not intended to be played together. However given the lack of "song" in "Murder Mystery", you could also say that Lou didn't really succeed either... but the point of the song was two completely different "halves", one per channel, to make an intended "whole".

The idea I had for my song was to split everything straight down the middle: right channel would be bass guitar, ride cymbal, and whole-note acoustic guitar chords, left channel would be either piano or Rhodes or organ playing a lead or something with the non-ride cymbal drums. The lyrics would alternate between the channels, and would work fine per channel and as a whole. Listening to it would suck on headphones, but be really cool in a designated stereo room. Of course, that would be a pain in the ass to write and arrange, and I had better ideas for the song it was devised for, and I scrapped it once I heard "The Murder Mystery". The concept (of my song) seemed gimmicky more than musical (regardless of how cool it could turn out), and I didn't want that.

4. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes.Import 45 sleeve of Have You Seen Your Mother Baby,Standing In The Shadows-1966.I still have mine.One of my prized Stones possessions. Peace.

5. samthesham

Actually I you want to go with women you can go back to the 50s with all your females that's usually what women wear.But for males it is the Stones.Hi!We're The Miracles 1959 is one that comes to mind pre-dating Gore some 4 years.Also Jagger performed in a white dress at the Brian Jones memorial concert in 1969.Peace.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  6. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Zappa had the idea of downloading music for a price WITH artwork to individuals at home through the phone lines.....in 1983
    The white paper he sent with this idea to record companies is online if you want to read it.

vince likes this.
  7. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

1983 was when Frank made the proposal

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Ok. Todd actually did it via CompuServe in 1995 with his album The Individualist. It was 35 mb, and would take a very long time to download on the 28k modems available at the time.

McLover likes this.
  9. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I believe Zappa also had a technique that he coined
    "Xenochrony" that put different pieces of music (many in various time signatures) together to form
    a whole new composition.
    Anyway he was doing this for years

10. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

And Johnny replied "you too?". Then Frank Zappa and Alice Cooper showed up for a culinary segment.

uzn007 likes this.
  11. samthesham

TE="Darrin L., post: 17598413, member: 49498"]What's my ELVIS? Is that a book?
    Yea...just as I thought...no citation. (surprise, surprise)
    Hmmm...what's it to me?
    Sorry, I have a strange aversion to condemnation of individuals, based on fallacies.[/QUOTE]
    Remember Elvis -Joe Esposito one of ELVIS Memphis Mafia for 20+ years.But you will probably dispute him also.

12. samthesham

The 1st RocknRoll artist to file and prevail for unpaid royalties is the man who gave us "Good Rockin Tonight" & Rockin at Midnight " both from late 40s.The man who influenced almost everyone who came after(BBKing,ELVIS, Clyde McPhatter,Jackie Wilson,Little Richard,Al Green etc,etc,etc.....).Roy Brown in 1952 prevailed against King Records for unpaid royalties. A unheard accomplishment for 1950s era RocknRollers.Especially black rockers.Peace.

13. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

Wow, you can be a tough crowd. Anyway, Rock's First All-Digital Recording: Ry Cooder's Bop Till You Drop I know this to be true, because there's a sticker on the LP that proclaims it so.

ABOUT THIS DIGITAL RECORDING
    This album was recorded on 3-M multi-track digital equipment which, rather than "modelling" sound into magnetism in the mode of conventional analog machines, samples sound at the rate of 50,000 times a second and records its characteristics numerically. Digital equipment can encode and play back from 20 cycles to over 20,000 cycles without noise and harmonic distortion produced by analog recordings.

No generational loss, noise build-up, or loss of presence occurs with this form of recording through mixdown and tape transfers. The result is that music sounds cleaner, brighter and more dimensional.

This record is essentially an exact copy of the master tape and was not treated with any equalizing or limiting during final transfer to disc.

14. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

The first time James Brown was 'sampled' was on The Residents "Third Reich 'n' Roll" album; 1976:
    @12:03,

ribonucleic and uzn007 like this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And on top of that, arguably the seminal Proto-Punk forerunner. Link Wray was something of an innovator and ahead of his time.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Or maybe he was just a crazy Shawnee from Dunn, NC. (At least that's how he described himself when I saw him).

uzn007 and McLover like this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I like a Crazy Shawnee then.

19. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin, groupie, shark.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Woodstock 1 soundtrack was released in 1969, before either.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Which is why the firearm was also nicknamed "The Elvis Presley TV Remote" to paraphrase Zenith Radio Corporation, the TV remote inventor, the "Flash-Bang Matic Remote"

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    samthesham likes this.
  22. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

First use of guitar feedback

Pete Towshend
    Not Jimi or George

23. audiotom

The Flaming Lips were the first band to play 8 concerts in 8 different cities in a 24 hour period
    in 24 hours, on June 27 and 28, 2012

24. audiotom

The Who were the first to 120 decibels

25. audiotom

First band to play an unannounced gig on a roof top - The Jefferson Airplane

Mickey2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.