R.I.P. Johnny Hallyday 1943-2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Laibach, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Even if one doesn't like his music he's a massive legend not only in France, but to anyone who's francophone and interested in french culture.

RIP Johnny Hallyday.

Cassiel, Carlox, O Don Piano and 8 others like this.
  2. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

3. Calico

Calico Senior Member

[​IMG]

Abe Laboriel Jr and Brian Ray, from Paul's current band, also used to work with Johnny Hallyday.

And many, many years before...
    [​IMG]

somnar, RobCos02330, owsley and 9 others like this.
  4. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

Sorry, but this post has nothing to do here. Saying that in these circumstances is an insult: we're paying tribute to someone who just passed away. In France, he's a monument and he is much loved as a singer than an actor . He is our Elvis Presley, even more. He was one of the few who could sing in tune on stage. He made it during 50 years ! RIP Johnny.

5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I can never understand why people post in threads they don't like / have no interest in.
    I can understand it even less in a RIP thread!
    If you can't say something nice then say nothing at all.

peace and love✌Dave

6. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

R.I.P Johnny.

squittolo likes this.
  7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

R.I.P Johnny. That's sad :cry:

squittolo likes this.
  8. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

first he hasn't sold 60 millions LPs, most of them are singles. He never did a full great LP , only a bunch of singles and this were his only hits ( and not so many ) . Second a legend is something you have to believe in and worldwide known, which is not his case… outside France and belgium is almost unknown. You can believe he was a powerfull singer, i believe he had a very small tessiture and wasn't able to sing a lot of different tunes (listen to his awful interpretation of "got to get you into my life" -il faut que je t'ai dans ma vie - simply comical ). the fact songwriters wanted to work with him, was because he did pay well. I think that the fact you like him, make you believe what you want, but this is not truth.

9. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

R.I.P.

I just saw that Amazon Prime added Man on the Train (2002) to their streaming library, one of my favorite movies starring Halliday and Jean Rochefort. Check it out if you've never watched it. Classic.
    [​IMG]

10. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

he was known for very few hit singles and you can last long with a single hit ;) : the buggles (video kills he radio stars ), patrick hernandez (born to be alive ), etc… i know a lot of his fans , i'm french, they are all the same : they buy his new records, put it on a shelf, never listen it (only on radio ) and wear his t-shirts pretending he's a star. they love the image of the man and are unable to name, but a few titles he has done. he was great stage's performer, because he was enough intelligent to get around with very good musicians, but please, listening a full album of johnny is a pain.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  11. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I can only tell you that in my country (Bulgaria) his passing is the top news on most media. Few days ago the top event was the Charles Aznavour concert in the biggest local venue. Many french artists are very well known outside France and Belgium.

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Sad to hear this news but this is huge news in France and of little importance elsewhere. Hallyday was the most famous French Rock and Roll star probably because he was about the only one. I couldn't name a song or album by him of the top of my head sadly. Strange that so many knew of him outside France. Certainly he was big enough in the 60s for some huge British rock names to work with him. He wasn't bad but I'm not a great lover of the French language applied to music. Christine Keeler's death was announced on the same day and she is far bigger news over here (Profumo scandal). Both died from lung cancer apparently.

yarbles and squittolo like this.
  13. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Many people, born and living in countries where English is not the native language, are interested about the popular artists from different places, not only from US or UK, performing in various languages (because French, Spanish, Italian or German are as foreign to us as is English). Also, I believe many people from the US or UK are just curious about what's going on in other places and cultures. So knowing who’s the biggest French rock star is not so strange for many people in many countries.

14. patel kismet

This shows that you don't consider the most important: the emotion in his voice, his presence & charisma. If you don't understand french, it may also explain why you can't understand that he is a legend in France & for the francophone communities. It's very sad to have to say such things in these circumstances.

squittolo, goodiesguy and delmonaco like this.
  15. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Damn. I enjoy many of Hallyday's rock and roll recordings. He had a true dynamic presence.

R.I.P.

This is true classic:

16. patel kismet

squittolo likes this.
  17. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Wow -- great track -- pre=zep right? Is that on an LP?

squittolo likes this.
  18. The first solo is so Page-y, you can't miss him! The second one too but less predictably (more imagination).

squittolo likes this.
  19. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Johnny is a person and the rock musician, worthy the most great respect, even outside France and Belgium. In my country which has full information on all events in all countries and today with bitterness have reported about this sad news. To him always treated as the French Elvis - he has much made in French-speaking rock culture.
    RIP, Johnny.

20. Yes, I don't know why he keeps restricting his scope to France and Belgium. I'm not in France to judge Halliday's legendary status over there, but he is and has ALWAYS been very popular in French Canada too and his passing did made the headlines here yesterday. I suppose that the appreciation of his legendary status (and number of records sold, etc.) should embrace the French-speaking world as a whole.

I don't think I can name a single Elvis album (and I've seen many in my life!); does that make Elvis less of a legend?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  21. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Nice to see all the Little Englanders spouting their usual anti-French xenophobic crap.

He was huge in Switzerland when I lived there.

RIP Johnny.

patel kismet and squittolo like this.
  22. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Not true. He was very well known over here in Spain. His passing is all over the news. I think in the rest of Europe and other countries in the world must be similar.

23. I think that Jimi Hendrix said that he'd had a great time with Johnny on the road, in Europe.

Yes, he had a fantastic voice. I much prefer his singing ballads and such though.

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

patel kismet likes this.
  25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Oh, how wrong you could be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.