Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]

adamos likes this.
  4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

5. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Ok, at the risk of foolishly stating the obvious, decades after the fact...this was great!

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That was the first Zappa album I bought (although far from the first that I'd heard), on the strength of hearing it in my friend's car, especially Dummy Up. Still one of my favorites of his, even if Be Bop Tango goes on too long.

adamos and Archtop like this.
  7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, if you liked that, you really have to check out the DVD/CD entitled Roxy The Movie. Two things really stand out on that for me: 1) the early "Hokey Lounge Jazz" version of Inca Roads that features a fantastic keyboard solo from George Duke with Tom Fowler just ripping up the low end underneath him; and 2) a blistering version of Big Swifty that features a smokin' improv in a very fast 11 (this is the same version that appeared on You Can't Do That On Stage anymore Vol. 1, FYI). And FZ takes it out with a fine solo.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    adamos, Rne, Crispy Rob and 1 other person like this.
  9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I second @Archtop suggestion: give a try to the Roxy movie (seeing Ruth, Chester, and Ralph in action during the "Cheepnis: Percussion" segment is worth the price of admission), and also to Roxy By Proxy. It's the musical film I've seen the most alongside The Grateful Dead Movie and Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii. Finally getting to see what was happening on stage had been a dream of Zappa fans for years, because we knew those shows had been filmed professionally.
    I'd love to have the audio of the whole run released one of these days. But, please, more Ruth, because she's buried in the mix of the movie soundtrack, and that's a sin.

10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'll never understand why the Montana--> Dupree's Paradise video that was available on the Zappa website for so long (not anymore, apparently) wasn't included on the Roxy DVD release. I'd love to have just the audio of that. Napoleon Murphy Brock's flute solo over the 5 (more properly, 10) section of Dupree's is an homage to Roland Kirk's style and is really killer.

11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Diving deep into NRPS with Powerglide. Don't even try to approach my level of crunchiness. 'Cuz you might hurt yourself, and we wouldn't want that. I might change my handle to wavethatpatchouli.

Nah, that won't work. I could never find a pair of Birkenstocks that fit me well.

"Jerry Garcia is present on banjo ("Sweet Lovin' One," "Duncan and Brady") and piano ("Lochinvar") -- Bill Kreutzmann and Nicky Hopkins also turn up -- but the best lead guitar work here comes courtesy of David Nelson and Buddy Cage, who plays the pedal steel."
    --Allmusic.com.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

While I like it, I would not go quite so far as a friend of mine who ranks Powerglide as among his Top 10 albums of all time. I did dust off my vinyl copy for the first time in abou 25 years last year after he said it, and it's certainly an enjoyable listen.

13. wavethatflag

Tonight is the first time I'm hearing it. Now, I'm on to Gypsy Cowboy. I only had the first one until a few days ago. I bought the first one years ago, probably due to the cover art, which for me almost has the power of a stealie, It's just one of those images.

Oh wow, allmusic.com is right "Death And Destruction" is practically a crib of Neil's "Down By The River."

Crispy Rob, budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I don't think any NRPS album surpassed their debut; Marmaduke wasn't the most prolific songwriter, and most of his best work is on the debut.

That said, their Columbia albums are well-done. I prefer to them to many later 'country rock' acts and most modern 'country' as well.

It looks like David Nelson will be back in action with his David Nelson Band at TXR this weekend, he's been playing on a limited basis after a cancer diagnosis in January.

I've never caught them in person (though Hunter and the current New Riders each played (separately) within 20 minutes of my house in 2015 and I had no idea,:shrug:) but they are supposed to be really good.

It looks like the Bay Area will be the only place to catch Nelson himself live for the short-term (but hopefully not too much longer)

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  15. wavethatflag

I saw him with Phil & Bob at the hurricane benefit. He's still got the same voice, as far as I could tell. Wait a minute, does he sing? I don't know my NRPS very well at all, which is why I got these albums.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Yes, he sings Dim Lights, Thick Smoke, She's no Angel, Panama Red etc.

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Wilco - Being There(deluxe edition). The live show from the Troubadour 96-11-12.

Love that 96-97 era.

18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Horace, don't lose that number.

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

And "Dupree's Paradise" is also a lot of fun to watch! Bruce dismanteling his trombone and going on with his stunning playing with only pieces of an instrument is a real treat.

Archtop likes this.
  23. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    I bought the 2012 remaster yesterday and listened to it this morning. As with most Zappa albums, I know it by heart. Accessible and yet intricate.
    My favorite items in the album:
    • The "Rollo interior" section on "St.Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast".
    • Jack Bruce's bass solo on the title track.
    • "Uncle Remus" (the extended version on The Crux of the Biscuit is even better).
    • Frank's guitar tone on the "Stink-Foot" solo.
    I love the whole thing anyway.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    The long-awaited re-issue of Roxy Music's debut LP is supposed to come in February (no precise details yet). A masterpiece. Listening to it right now.