Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Thanks - I was looking at the movie yesterday on Amazon, I think I'll pull the trigger.

Crispy Rob, Archtop and Rne like this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I was revising old e-mails and I started to think about an ex-girlfriend I had some 15 years ago. I decided to listen to this album, even though it was not part of my life back then:
    [​IMG]

4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

A combo CD with Over-Nite Sensation and Apostrophe (') was my introduction to Zappa in the early 90s. I really liked those albums and played them quite a bit, but for reasons I don't recall I didn't explore much further until just recently. Around that time I also got Fillmore East - June 1971 specifically because the title had that venue and year in it, which appealed to my GoGD sensibilities. I didn't connect with that one as much at the time but I haven't played it in many years, so I don't really remember it.

Crispy Rob and Rne like this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The Fillmore album is a sort of hit-and-miss affair for me. I haven't listened to it in a while. A bunch of recordings from those shows were included in Playground Psychotics, and some of them are pretty good and sound much better than those in the original album.

adamos likes this.
  6. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

My story exactly. That double cd is still what I think of when I think about FZ.
    My next step was Sheik Yerbouti, which has some great moments. Live 1971 and then Ahead of Their Time cooled my interest. I will still try out something I haven’t heard now and again, but nothing really works for me as well as Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation.

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

• There appears to be some controversy/uncertainty regarding what Jack Bruce actually played on the title track ('cello vs. bass), but count me among those who can tell that it's Jack Bruce on bass.
    • Everything on The Crux of the Biscuit is fantastic, but nothing is more fantastic than Down in De Dew starting at 0:40.
    Roxy the Movie. That is all. Zappa, in all his incarnations, was a performer and live is where it's at, much like the GoGD and King Crimson. The studio stuff is very good, but the live stuff breathes like you've never breathed before.

Rne likes this.
  8. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Joe Travers (FZ's vaultmeister) posted that the raw video and audio recorded for the Roxy run were a real mess. Things like camera angles showing nothing but the stage floor resulting in sections of the music that had no available video, etc. There were also significant issues with the video and multi-track audio being out of sync. Despite that they should be able to release the entire run on audio only, like the recent Halloween 77 release. The Roxy project was done when Gail was still alive and Ahmet was not running the Trust. Ahmet has clearly taken the release strategy in a different direction and has shown he is willing to get a lot out of the vault including a complete run. That is great news for us Zappa freaks, but I find it unlikely they would delay other projects and go back to the Roxy so soon after its initial release. But I'd buy it in a heartbeat if they did!

adamos, Rne and Archtop like this.
  9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Count among those people too.

But no more USB sticks, please. CD's or downloads. I must admit, though, that in the case of these shows, I would buy them even in compact cassettes.

Archtop and dgwint like this.
  10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

A Dave Brubeck Christmas

[​IMG]

budwhite, Erik B. and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Today I did some shopping (I shouldn't have spent a cent, though):

Live-Evil, by Miles Davis: an old debt I had.
    Transformer, by Lou Reed: I'm not a fan, but I like this album. Bowie and Ronson were involved, so I had to have it.
    Adventure, by Television: I absolutely adore Marquee Moon, so it was an obvious purchase.
    On Air, by The Rolling Stones: Argentine edition, which duplicates the 2-cd-set. Just for fun.
    Strange Days (50th Anniversary Edition), by The Doors: one of my favorite albums ever. I bought it for the mono mix.
    Live/Dead, by some band from San Francisco: it's the old CD version, I bought to check if it sounds different from the 2001 remaster.

I'm not good at saving. In fact, I suck at saving.

13. notesofachord

Lots of good stuff in there.

Rne likes this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good stuff. The old CD version of Live/Dead has the original mix, while the 2001 remaster is a remix. I like the purchase of Live-Evil and Live/Dead at the same time. Adventure isn't as good as Marquee Moon, but still a good listen. You should also pick up The Bl0w-Up - officially released audience recording, but the sound is good enough and performances are outstanding. Originally released a few years after the recording on cassette in '82, and then on CD (the version I have) in '99 or so. Better than the (sbd) Boarding House show, and essential listening for any fan of Television IMHO.

rockinlazys, Dahabenzapple and Rne like this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I know this is the UN-grateful thread, but are the mixes substantially different?

16. notesofachord

It's been a while since I've heard the original mix, but I recall that the guitars (Jerry and Bob) are crystal clear and mixed louder and above everything else. On the remix, Phil is super loud and deep and TC's organ is more prominent.

You can get a taste of the original mix by listening to this edit of the track from the Zabriskie Point Soundtrack:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    maui jim and Rne like this.
  17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

My CD of Live/Dead indicates (c) 1969 and 2001 on the last page of the booklet but (c) 1969 and 2003 on the back of the case. There is no mention of any remastering, but the word reissue is used twice. I would be very un-grateful (just keepin' it on topic, folks) if someone could let me know if this is the original mix or the remaster (or something else?).

18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Me too but my wife is GREAT at saving:)

Rne likes this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I also strongly recommend the 1992 Television album. It’s my favorite.

Crispy Rob and Rne like this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I should get married, then :shh:

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That's the remix. The 2001 refers to the year the Golden Road box set was released, and the 2003 refers to the year in which that version was released separately.

adamos and Archtop like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Tons of info on the various mixes of Live/Dead and related material here:

Grateful Dead Guide: Dark Star: A Tale of Four Mixes

The 2001 mix was originally released on the Golden Road box set (which is the copy of the 2001 mix that I have). I'd imagine the 2003 Rhino is part of a series of single-album reissues using the masters/mixes from that box, but am not 100% sure.

adamos, Rne and Archtop like this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've just a/b'd some fragments and the differences are pretty substantial in terms of levels, panning and equalization. Nice! (sorry for being off-topic).

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I've never done a back to back a/b myself, but that blog is nothing if not thorough. I've also never heard the Healy mix, although I have both of the Live/Dead mixes as well as the Fillmore West box set on CD. Someday if I have the time it would be fun to do an a/b listen with that blog info in front of me, but probably won't be any time soon.

I have the relatively recent MoFi vinyl of Live/Dead, but I believe they used the 2001 mix for that as well. I used to have an 80s reissue vinyl copy of the original mix, but that one disappeared when I lent it to a high school friend years and years ago, and I never bothered to replace it because of a long lull in vinyl listening.

budwhite and Rne like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

To get back on topic, I'm at work listening to my iPod on shuffle, currently listening to one of the Flaming Lips tracks from Clouds Taste Metallic.

rockinlazys and notesofachord like this.