UHQR Sgt. Pepper Intervention.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ssmith3046, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Makes me wonder what folks are listening to, but hey.

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought #686 in NM condition, it looks like it had never been on a turntable, for four hundred dollars. Absolutely no regrets. I own a NM mono first pressing from the UK so with this addition I have all the Sgt Pepper releases that I need. I have not heard all the Pepper releases that have come out over the 49 plus years so there might be what some consider better stereo versions out there but I'm more than happy with this UHQR version. Thanks to all who took the time to post with their comments.

ted321 likes this.
  3. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

Michael Fremer had this experience with the MFSL "Sgt. Peppers":

"I played the Mo-Fi box's "Sgt. Peppers..." for Geoff Emerick who should know what it's supposed to sound like since he engineered it, and he made me take it off. He was disgusted and declared it "rubbish."

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

maybe he was being asked about his book? :hide:

Tommyboy likes this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:laugh:

fishcane likes this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Or his mixes for the Anthology series. Total rubbish!

fishcane likes this.
  7. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

The UHQR is on super quiet vinyl, but it is a tad "hot" in the EQ department. Still, on the right system, you can hear into the recording like no other pressing. The soundstage is very wide. Enjoyable, but I find that for overall accuracy, I put on my German Apple pressing. The UK mono is nice too, just a different perspective. As far as the UHQR being a collectible, yes, it is that all day long. Maybe mofi will release this again with it's new "one step" process or Chad will add it to his new UHQR releases or his reel to reel tape releases. Any of those would be something to hear!

hi_watt likes this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Get an original UK or Aussie stereo (they use UK stampers). Much better than the MFSL.

10. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

I have a Abbey Road Mobile Fidelity and I can honestly say I was not impressed with it at all. If the Pepper is anywhere as not impressive as the Abbey Road I would probably pass on it. I personally like my Blue Box Pepper and my UK 1st pressing stereo copy.

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Engineering students did the stereo mixes after hours, don't bother :laugh:

12. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Love, love, love the new hi rex remix. Detail, soundstage and quietness are remarkable.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I doubt the mastertape for Pepper will ever leave Abbey Road.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The stand-alone MFSL pressing of Pepper that was mastered by Jack Hunt sounds better to me than the Stan Ricker cut from the box set (non UHQR). The midrange suckout that plagues the Ricker version is less prevalent on the Jack Hunt cut. It sounds more natural to my ears.

TLMusic and Ben Sinise like this.
  15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Hmm, I guess I need to listen to mine.
    I have an individual release bought way back when and just assumed it had a mid range suck the way all my other
    MoFi’s did

Tommyboy likes this.
  16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I thought it sounded better. That being said, I wouldn’t say it’s the best pressing of Pepper that I’ve heard.

I would love to hear the Nimbus and Australian Audio 5 cuts. That’s not going to happen anytime in the near future.

chacha likes this.
  17. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Another point of difference is the Jack Hunt cut includes the lock groove audio at the end of the album but it's omitted on the Stan Ricker mastering.

Jack Hunt also mastered the Nimbus pressing.
    Being so rare with only 1,000 copies and less than 500 copies pressed respectively, those 2 continue to command ridiculously high prices.

Tommyboy likes this.
  18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Differences in pressings notwithstanding, I can't get past the regurgitating chicken on the mono Pepper. Who thought that sounded good?

19. chacha

Everyone of us who heard that first in June 1967. I’ve never understood what people are talking about on this.

20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It's the transition from Good Morning, Good Morning to Sgt. Pepper Reprise. Maybe the gaffe isn't on the original pressing, I don't know. But it goes "whaa, bl-^-urp" on the mono 2009 CD and "Whaa click" on the stereo (and on my 1976 pressing of Pepper). For lack of better descriptors, of course.

For the record, I've been accused of not listening to music closely enough and hearing things that certain people can't or either refuse to hear, despite the relative quality of my equipment to theirs. No beef there other than I can hear these things. :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  21. TheSixthBeatle

TheSixthBeatle Quae nocent, saepe docent

Isn't 3db (boost in the treble) equal to a doubling of volume? Is that realistic?

22. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

I've had in my hands at one time or another both the regular MFSL Pepper that was in the big Beatles box and the UHQR Pepper and the UHQR was the clear winner, it sounds pretty amazing. (I don't have an original UK first press to compare.) I especially like how the bass sounded on that. The 200gm vinyl made a difference I think. (I usually don't buy in to "heavier is better")

23. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

The first step is to admit you have a problem.

24. chacha

I understand the part you’re talking about. What I meant is that I’m used to the mono and the stereo rooster section sounds weird to me. Most people seem to agree with you but I don’t hear it that way.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I compared the UHQR of Pepper to the latest remix vinyl version and I thought the MFSL was much better. The remix vinyl suffers from the same poor eq and mix the DVD and Blu-ray did.

ted321 and Tommyboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.