Poll: How would you rate "Elizium" (1990) by Fields of the Nephilim?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aerostace, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aerostace

aerostace Under the stairs, beneath the stars Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Tracklist:
    1. (Dead but Dreaming)
    2. For Her Light
    3. At the Gates of Silent Memory
    4. (Paradise Regained)
    5. Submission
    6. Sumerland (What Dreams May Come)
    7. Wail of Sumer
    8. And There Will Your Heart Be Also

The third and final studio album from the original line-up.

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Wow....! This album has aged very well and seems like the culmination of "Dawnrazor" and "The Nephilim". Especially love the production which is impeccable and definitely ahead of its time. It surely doesn't sound like 80's Goth. You could make a case for this being one of the first albums sounding like the new decade. People never took the Nephilim serious but "Elyzium" is an album I'd put next to "Closer", "In The Flat Field", "JuJu" or "First & Last & Always". Absolutely essential

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Very good album, possibly their best. A must own if you like this type of music.

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

Whilst I personally prefer The Nephilim I appreciate the fact this album is dreamier and has less of the cookie monster vocals. Pretty essential goth rock- few goth bands can say that.

5. Neonbeam

I actually love it when McCoy suddenly sounds as solemn as Ian Curtis.

6. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

A monumental release which stills sounds as magnificent today as it did when it was released.

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

One of my all time favorite albums. I don't like any other of their albums even half as much.

Neonbeam likes this.
  8. aerostace

Having loved the first two albums I eagerly anticipated this release back in 1990. Unfortunately, I was rather disappointed with what I heard and my opinion hasn't altered over the years. For me, the magick (excuse the pun) had gone and I think it might have something to do with Andy Jackson (Pink Floyd's engineer) being brought in to produce the album. To my ears, the album sounds too polished and the production hasn't aged as well as the previous two albums. The band had dabbled with progressive rock on their previous albums (Last Exit for the Lost is a classic), but I would argue that they became self-indulgent on Elizium.

I read here that one of the reasons Carl McCoy left the band was because he found the songs on Elizium "boring to perform live". I don't know if that's true, but thought I would add it to the discussion since I saw the band perform songs from the album on three occasions and, alas, I was bored.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    sunking101 likes this.
  9. Neonbeam

Fascinating that the first two Nephilim albums seem to receive more bumps.

What do you all think of the "Psychonaut" ep?

10. aerostace

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I do not know if that is true either. I have met their former tour manager and he said the band and McCoy had a falling out, which was the reason for the split. He did not say why they had a falling out and I did not ask.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It's good but I think The Nephilim is their best.

sunking101 and lordfalconer like this.
  13. Neonbeam

I seem to remember from those Rubycon interviews that they had the now obligatory musical differences, with McCoy looking for a more "spiritual" direction while the rest wanted to rock out. But don't quote me, these are stories from the early 90's:angel:

patient_ot likes this.
  14. lord retsudo

lord retsudo Active Member

I am a long-time (since 1990ish) Neph fan, have seen them live more than any other band, though I was slightly too young to see them in their late 80s heyday. I'm not sure which is my favourite album, though Earth Inferno is my all-time favourite live album and would probably be my pick (a bit of a cheat, I guess). Plus two of their best songs aren't on a studio album: Blue Water and Psychonaut. I also love the two Carl McCoy albums, though it took me some time to really appreciate the Nefilim one, as it was too "death metal" for me at first! Mourning Sun is up there with the original three albums in my opinion.

15. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Nowhere near as good as their previous album for me. This is a bloated and boring attempt IMO.

16. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

The Nephilim is a great album, particularly the epic tracks on the second side, which feel like a natural lead into the scope and grandeur of Elizium.

lordfalconer likes this.
  17. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

My fave Nephilim album. But then I like Pink Floyd and prog rock, so long songs and segues are totally my jam, and Elizium has this in spades :righton:

--Geoff

craigobau and lordfalconer like this.
  18. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Awesome. See my comments on The Nephilim thread for more elucidation!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.