The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Without question a Top 5 Dark Star. Space is the Place.

2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I've been waffling on getting an SXM subscription, if only for the Dead channel alone. I've mostly hesitated because my car doesn't have the capability, though the wife's does for the longer drives. I was thisclose to pulling the trigger at the end of the year but, uh, given yesterday's news (trying to steer clear of violating forum rules here), I've changed my mind for the time being. Plenty of other ways to get my Dead fixes in.

3. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Honestly not worth it for the GD station. I don’t really like the format. Too much studio and then live tracks jump eras. I find it a little disorienting.
    Phone + Bluetooth + Relisten app is my choice.

KeninDC likes this.
  4. GuidedByJonO)))

Thanks for that, maybe I'll live without it. I've only sampled the GD station for five minutes here and there, when I can spare a minute in my dad's car. Sounds like your formula is what I'll stick with too!

Finally cracked the Cornell '77 book. I'm about halfway through and enjoying it well enough, given the limited frame of reference and approach. The photos are pretty cool.

Speaking of which, is there any place online that compiles all of the scans of Dick's listening notes? I've seen quite a few different scanned pages over the years, but is there a nice place that you can find all the known scans? Maybe it's thuddingly obvious, but I've not been able to find anything these past few days. Various Google search terms just keep taking me back to individual image results.

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

My take is that they are scattered around. But this page houses some good stuff: GD Miscellany

I'm not sure why this resource is located where it is, but thanks to agitators for this!

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  6. GuidedByJonO)))

Thanks for this, some cool stuff. Sadly that link to "Dick's Notebooks" is dead.

Man, talk about a cool Dead project, reissuing a nice hardcover book of Dick's notebook scans in high quality. I'd pay for that, price depending.

warewolf95 and Archtop like this.
  7. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

What was yesterday's news? I must've missed it but sounds like I need to be in the know.

8. GuidedByJonO)))

Oh, nothing to do with the Dead in particular. Just that SXM provided a time slot and format to someone I really wish they hadn't. I can PM you more, but I'm trying to be cognizant of the forum rules here.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Someone whose name rhymes with “Teve Tannon” was given a radio show.

To speak of the GD channel, it is both awesome and infuriating. They do play live shows in their entirety (every day!), this day in GD history is cool, and you occasionally get sneak peaks at new releases. Also, they will play live songs from throughout all 30 years, and you’ll come across performances you’ve never heard before.

The bad is a weird mix of studio/live, live shows will often be misidentified by show name, the album artwork won’t match the song, and sometimes they get into a run of playing a lot of post-GD projects. I also find the Tales from the Golden Road to be outright boring. YMMV.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It is a top 5 Dark Star, and it's the one I forgot last weekend when we were talking top 5 Dark Stars. So, I think my top 5 are 4/8, 4/24. 9/21/1972, and 11/11, 12/6/1973, with 9/21/1972 still under review.

adamos and US Blues like this.
  11. US Blues

Just wait until we get to the version on 18 December 1973. And any list that does not give due consideration to 19 October and 25 October 1973 can be dismissed out-of-hand.

Plus @Dahabenzapple will testify on behalf of 24 February 1974 at Winterland.

Billy_Sunday and Dahabenzapple like this.
  12. bzfgt

I'm well familiar with 3 of those 4.

13. bzfgt

Any news on Grateful Dead Projects? I see the link is still dead. Someone posted a mirror and I ditched the link when GDP went back up, and now it's down again; if anyone has the mirror link I'd appreciate if they posted it again, thank you.

14. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I’m starting to think that ALL of the E72 Dark Stars are top 20 versions:

1) 4/8/72 - well known and agreed to as all/time GOAT version
    2) 4/14/72 - incredible
    3) 4/17/72 - still getting it mixed up with 4/14 but also great
    4) 4/24/72 - see above 1)
    5) 4/29/72 - I’m listening on the way home today for my 3rd listen - maybe a notch below 4/14 & 4/17 but still great
    6) 5/4/72: only one I haven’t heard yet
    7) 5/7/72: shortest by far of the tour but great nonetheless plus it morphs into TOO - the whole sequence is on E72 Volume 2 and it is an all-time great jam
    8) 5/11/72: longest ever Star and it is a mind-bender
    9) 5/18/72: maybe the weakest I’ve heard of the 11 versions but still engaging and powerful
    10) 5/23/72: comparable in quality to 4/14 or 4/17, I think
    11) 5/25/72: just listened for the second time yesterday - I’m not always a Feelin’ Groovy fan but this one well after the verse is sweet. Great Tiger Jam and overall again a simply great version.

Mansley, brew ziggins, adamos and 8 others like this.
  15. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I have been recently listening to the shows from the Winterland '73 box and I am not impressed. I do not like the sound at all; despite its clarity it sounds "square", as if harmonies and rhythms got squeezed into a mathematical grid.

At times I feel the music gets unbearably "lifeless", even and repetitious, like on the final night's "Eyes of the World". I've played that number from the archives site (through my laptop speakers!) and the fan tapes sound so full of life to me compared to the officially released production.

Has anyone had similar impressions about this release?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. GuidedByJonO)))

All this talk of '72 Dark Stars finally prompted me to pull the trigger on the 04/08 and 04/14 individual shows, since I missed out on the trunk. That'll bring me to having at least four of the tour's shows. Well, sort of five with Hundred Year Hall.

adamos, budwhite and Archtop like this.
  17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I originally thought the sound was a bit “brittle” but I’ve gone to love Kidd’s recorded sound. I originally felt even stronger about Dave’s 16 (3/28/73). For now I’m thinking the Winterland box as the best sounding 2-tracks outside of some Bear stuff from late 72 and though still far behind the great Betty recorded shows from 76-78.

Six Bachelors and rbbert like this.
  18. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

In terms of the clarity of mix, probably so (although the vocals are buried), but I strongly feel there is something unnatural with pitch and tempos going on there.

Now I am listening to the three weeks later recordings from Boston on DP 14 and the sound feels to me perfectly natural, even though it has no clarity achieved on the Winterland set. Maybe it is just me...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

:nyah:

Billy_Sunday and US Blues like this.
  20. US Blues

:wave:

Billy_Sunday and Archtop like this.
  21. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

is it available on any high quality releases? or...

22. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Discs 3 on both of those releases are two of the greatest officially released discs in the entire catalog. Congrats!

23. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I'm halfway through E'72 (I made it through April, will probably start May up in a week or so, trying to avoid 1st set fatigue. My rating of the April Dark Stars (I'm keeping track):

1) 4/8
    2) 4/24
    3) 4/14
    4) 4/17
    5) 4/29

Of the May versions, I've heard 5/7 and 5/11 and kind of know where they will slot in.

As far as all-time rankings, I would say that 4/8 is Top 5 in my book (and a contender for #1) and 4/24 is top 10. 4/14 and 4/17 would probably crack the Top 25. 4/29 would be unranked...it's solid but is a little too much space without the improv jamming that I really dig (and why 4/8 and 4/24 are so high).

24. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So what's the deal with this show - is what we have all that exists? Or was it actually a short show. I'm thinking the former....

US Blues likes this.
  25. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So, I always, for some reason, associated Without A Net much more with 1989 than 1990.

Turns out all but TWO tracks are from Spring 1990! Imagine my surprise! :D

US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.