Poll: How would you rate "Dawnrazor" (1987) by Fields of the Nephilim?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aerostace, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aerostace

aerostace Under the stairs, beneath the stars Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Tracklist:
    1. Intro (The Harmonica Man)
    2. Slow Kill
    3. Volcane (Mr. Jealousy Has Returned)
    4. Vet for the Insane
    5. Dust
    6. Reanimator
    7. Dawnrazor
    8. The Sequel

Notes:
    1. The tracklist above is for the original UK vinyl release which is deemed to be how the artist intended the album to be heard. This tracklist is also used in the "5 Albums" box set (2013).
    2. The tracklist for the album varies according to the format (vinyl, cassette and CD) and country of origin (e.g. UK and US).

Please rate the album based on the tracklist of the release that you prefer.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Neonbeam likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not sure what exactely you're trying to do here but anything left field is highly welcome:righton::righton:

"Dawnrazor" is an album that.... well... it was hard to take in 1987. The lettering, the hats.... was this a Sisters rip off? A parody? It took me ages to appreciate this band. Now in retrospect I love "Dawnrazor" because it's wonderfully over the top. I'm still not sure how serious the band took this melange of horror movie quotes, Morricone and Sisters Of Mercy but it works. I actually think it was a good decision to leave off "Preacher Man" or "Power", which are great single tracks that didn't need to be repeated. It would have destroyed the flow.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A good album but certainly not as good as the next two. The band was still figuring out their identity.

lordfalconer and Neonbeam like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Utterly, completely and totally :agree::agree:

lordfalconer and patient_ot like this.
  5. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

I definitely appreciate the two follow up albums moreso. I agree with Patient OT that they were still figuring out their identity & sound.
    I daresay not many fans missed the absence of Sax on this album :laugh:

Neonbeam likes this.
  6. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I'd say it was better then so-so, but not great. Saw that tour in Detroit at St. Andrews and only the Sisters of Mercy a few years before that had more fog/smoke.

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I doubt you’ll get much participation in this poll. Better to ask about McCartney’s saxophone skills.

I’d say this album is somewhere between 3 and 4 stars, and I’m feeling generous enough to go with 4 in the poll. (Despite the OP’s stern warning, I am voting based on the US track listing because that’s all I’ve heard.)

8. aerostace

Apologies if I was unclear, but you've actually done as requested.

Dawnrazor is a bit of a minefield because it comes in a variety of flavours. For example, the original UK CD release inserts five bonus tracks into the running order which were taken from the Power (1986) and Preacher Man (1987) singles. The original UK cassette release has two bonus tracks and the US releases have their own running orders so feel free to rate the album based on the version you've heard or prefer.

9. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

The follow up is one of the best albums of all time. A mixture of rock, goth, classical, Gregorian chanting and metal. Dawnrazor is them trying to find their sound and whilst good in places it pales in comparison to The Nephilim and also Elizium.

lordfalconer likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

That's what really sucked about some early Beggars cds - see: "The Fall". They inserted extra tracks without necessarily singling them out as such. Eventually ending up with these really long discs. Ruining the flow of the included albums in the process. Which is a shame because the bonus was mostly great.

For me the original "Dawnrazor" - without any question - is the original UK vinyl sequence. That's what the band envisioned the album to be like. The other tracks are best enjoyed from the individual eps.

lordfalconer likes this.
  11. aerostace

Wholeheartedly agree. IMO the album flows much better with that sequence.

I think there was a mini trend of inserting bonus tracks on CD releases at the time. The format was in its infancy and I saw it as an attempt by the record industry to encourage us to switch to CDs. EMI inserted five tracks on the CD release of New Model Army's Thunder and Consolation. Another album best enjoyed via the original vinyl sequence.

12. aerostace

Polls are also open for these albums by Fields of the Nephilim:
    1. The Nephilim
    2. Elizium

13. Neonbeam

Well, Beggars had the right idea, all they should have done was to mark the bonus tracks thus (*) and include a short information (eg "From the 'Power' 12"").

Those The Fall cds were especially disturbing, they had terrific bonus tracks from great period eps but without knowing which is which you suddenly had "The Wonderful & Frightening World Of The Fall" clocking in at 70+ minutes. And back in these pre-www days a simple information like the running order of a UK vinyl edition was pretty tough to come by. Even in Berlin.

14. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I enjoyed it at the time but recently listened to it again and it didn’t hold up as well. Maybe I listened to the original track sequence back then? I remember having it on cassette.

15. Neonbeam

Looking at the first SH page and seeing three (!!!!) Fields of the Nephilim threads is amazing! Thank you for that alone!!!!!!

lordfalconer and Mintsauce like this.
  16. Neonbeam

Not a fan of "Dawnrazor""s US edition btw. The cover crosses that fine line the UK was treading somewhat tastefully and makes the image look ridiculous. The band looks like the Morloks in the 1960 version of "The Time Machine", glowing eyes in the dark.

Then the omission of "Reanimator", yes, another blatant Motorhead rip off but it's cool. "Blue Water" doesn't belong on here, "Power" doesn't fit and "Preacher Man"... well "Preacher Man" is too catchy and dominant to show up here.

I think the white cover artwork of the original cassette is cool btw. Given the fact that this album has just turned 30, somebody should have done a nice deluxe vinyl box. Similar to those SOM sets.

17. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

I’m quite glad to have the original UK vinyl and then for the earlier stuff- From Gehenna to here is a nice compilation.
    I should really pick up the Preacherman single at some stage...

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. aerostace

You're welcome. Much as I love Bowie, The Beatles et al the smaller artists seem to get overlooked on these pages. So... taking a lead from Haristar who has been conducting the Bowie album polls I thought I would do the same for FOTN. The demand may be small, but these polls give interested parties a chance to vote for the albums and engage in discussions about them as they see fit so the threads will run until such a time they get closed due to a lack of interest.

Neonbeam and lordfalconer like this.
  19. Neonbeam

This just made me laugh out loud, obviously when you are fed up with Bowie/ Beatles/ etc the logical next logical step would be.... Fields Of The Nephilim! Splendid :righton:

lordfalconer likes this.
  20. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Classic, but get the UK CD with the bonus tracks. In fact get the 5 albums box with the original 3 (with bonus tracks), the live Earth Inferno and the Singles & Mixes compilation. All for around £20!!

lordfalconer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.