Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Uhhhh. I like Dave more. But Adrian is awesome for sure. And when they tried continuing without him, well.... we'll get there when we get there

MusicMatt and Cooks420 like this.
  2. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

"The Prisoner" is one of the highlights on NOTB for me. Everything fits together so well; the spoken word intro; the opening drum beat; the shift to a faster rhythm. and the seamless transition from verse to pre-chorus to chorus.

kenbme, MusicMatt and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Been a Maiden fan for a long time and I still don't know who plays what on each record. Especially after finally seeing them live and watching Dave, Adrian, and Jannick trade off the lead in the most counterintuitive places of any given solo.

How do you know who is doing what in any given song?

CBackley likes this.
  4. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Live footage! :)
    EDIT - not including any new junk with Gers. Ugh.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

They tried continuing without him and got what they deserved. Steve also tried to produce/co-produce their own albums and got what they deserved.

6. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Heh, heh.......OK. I have all of the live videos too, but that seemed a bit too obvious. I'm a guitarist, but I honestly can't hear a significant stylistic difference between Adrian and Dave just by ear.

Oh, boo! Their post-reunion records are all great. Especially "The Book of Souls", which easily makes my Maiden Top 3 records.

SammyJoe and MusicMatt like this.
  7. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Personally speaking I think Smith and Murray have very different sounds, on most songs I find it fairly easy to tell who's playing the solo's. Certainly I think Smith has a very distinctive sound. Gers and Murry playing together might be harder to tell but then I've not really analysed those records.

I think a link was posted earlier in the thread which stated who plays what on each song. Cant find it right now though.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Here you go...Iron Maiden

ReadySteady and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Smith - to my ears - is more melodic and emotional that Dave. His solo during Powerslave overcomes ME with emotion everytime. I mean, f*** man, this is a thing of beauty.

EDIT: Hell, just listen to his rhythm playing. So awesome.

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I've always felt Adrian Smith was probably my favorite member of Iron Maiden. He seems to have a good handle on writing great hooks. Like "Wasted Years" for instance. It's a good, catchy tune. I wish he could have balanced out Harris's indulgent writing a bit more. He's definitely their secret weapon in terms of writing. He should be utilized more. Also, not to get off on a Gers bashing tangent, but I see no reason why he's in the band (I mean, I understand the reasoning and all), but he's still a waste as far as I'm concerned. Smith and Murray are all that band needs in terms of the guitar dept.

11. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

I wish I could love this post.
    I can always trust a man who respects Smith and dismisses Gers.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:laugh::thumbsup:

Cooks420 likes this.
  13. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Just check this out too. Mind blowing. Two different Powerslsve solos that are just as incredible.

14. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Awesome! Bookmarking that for sure......thanks!

Standoffish and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

I think he brings a certain raw edge back to the band that they lost around the time "Somewhere in Time" came out. I always thought it was cool that they didn't dump him.

Smokin Chains and Zoot Marimba like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I admire the loyalty of keeping him. It tells me the band is like a family and they’re all decent guys, but I stand by my comment: he’s superfluous. He’s not needed, but if you like him, great. I find him to be not much more than window dressing and a goofball.

17. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I imagine the merits of Jannick could be a large thread amongst Maiden fans on this board (if it hasn't been already)... The skipping and prancing onstage never does much for me, not to mention the jousting with Eddie. I kinda imagine him being the world's biggest Iron Maiden fan, and that he'd be doing the same thing in the audience if he wasn't up on the stage as a member of the band.

That said, he's contributed songwriting credits to a few songs I dig:

The Book of Souls
    Dream of Mirrors
    Ghost of the Navigator
    Montesgur
    Out of the Silent Planet

He seems like a nice guy who's probably good for the interpersonal dynamics of the band, and his continued presence proves that these guys are kinda like family, in a certain sense (Bruce said the same thing in a recent interview, re: Maiden being their family). Anything that keeps Iron Maiden moving forward and functioning gets my seal of approval :)

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Adrian is truly great guitar-player and I just dig all the great solos from him.
    Adrian is one of the guitarists I have most looked when I have been looking for influence and idol, not just technical stuff but he just has that correct approach and feeling present there in his playing.
    He nails just some of the most awesome solos ever, full of feeling and just has that sensibility to what the songs needs.

Anyways, here's isolated channel ripped from dvd featuring Adrian Smith, show from Rock In Rio III (2001).
    Enjoy the ride and full show of "H" in the spotlight:

Just have to look what other stuff there is on youtube...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Check this isolated Adrian & Harris channel from Flight 666, this was always one of the favorite parts for me (ROTAM-solo) in the show:

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner-solo starts at time 47:42 but Im not sure if the linking to specific time anymore works here, if not just rewind it to that particular time.

If only could find good isolated rips from the 80's shows like LAD etc. I mean that it would only have Adrian's guitar and not feature any other instrument at all..

20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Murray and Smith have a lot in common in their styles and tone but some differences do arise.
    Smith goes to scales outside pentatonic at times whereas Murray stays more within pentatonic.
    Murray's tone is more midrangey and trebly than Adrian. Adrian's tone is more standard heavy metal most of the time. Dave plays with more extreme vibrato as well. The vibrato is usually how I tell them apart.
    Also, Dave is usually more legato sounding. Smith plays modally more than Murray.
    I think they are both equally ranked in just about every way.

Hermes, ArpMoog, Cheevyjames and 3 others like this.
  21. Zoot Marimba

22 Acacia Avenue:

We now come to Part Two of the Charlotte Saga, 22 Acacia Avenue. Originally a song from Adrian's previous band Urchin, Steve asked him to play the track he remembered hearing Urchin play, although it had changed some on the time since.
    The song starts with a very hook-driven guitar riffing, with Clive occasionally stomping on the riff, At :05, Bruce comes in and he delivers some great vocals on this track, great vocal delivery and melody, the track is so tightly written and performed, and I love where it slows down and then we get the excellent solo by Dave at 4:50 and Adrian's solo at 5:31 after Bruce tells Charlotte she is coming with him is smokin, and Clive and Arry supporting him so gracefully.
    This is an awesome song and by far my favorite part of the Charlotte Saga. Great great tune

22. Zoot Marimba

Live at Hammersmith:

SammyJoe and Soundhead like this.
  23. Zoot Marimba

Countdown by Urchin:

24. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

22 Acacia Avenue

By far the best of the Charlotte series. Once again the chorus shines through and for me is the highlight of the song. Below is what I find to be the best live version ever done. Bruce sounds absolutely possessed here. Listen to him scream the word"piece" around the 1 minute mark. Some may think his delivery of the verses is over the top here but I love it.

25. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

This is a good analysis of their differences. Starting around the time of Somewhere In Time, Smith really stepped up in terms of being the "total package": technique, feel, songwriting, good sense of melody. Murray seemed to kind of stagnate, and some of his songs tend to be kind of "weird" (think "Still Life" or "Deja Vu.") I once even read that a lot of the time, Murray seems to be blowing the same solo past us every time. I don't think that's fair, but he's much more about the pentatonic trills thing.

Rose River Bear likes this.