New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

just msged them via fb. they asked me to phone in tomorrow. sadly I'm in Singapore at the moment

2. jasonsouza77

yes its truly an iconic album. guess it will definitely be worth the wait :) I'm guessing how many have been sold via preorder so far..

3. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Great ideas for future titles! I would be in and thrilled.

4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Well said...

Merrick likes this.
  5. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Exactly my point.
    Small differences, add a couple together and they make [in theory] a greater difference.
    In this case we DON'T get 45rpm or ONE STEP but we do get other differences from standard pressings. I only highlighted the BG mono because it is like for like in every way but a slight difference with the actual mastering. We shall have this as our measure with the upcoming release.
    As you also point out, alignment. Hardware adjustment is a critical as anything just as hardware changes can and do make differences across the entire record collection.

Some times I see buyers not seeing a great deal at times [i'm as guilty as anyone else]. But I would never buy a record [or anything else come to that] for fear of "missing out".
    If anyone has doubts about these, don't buy as they are imo, over priced [that has to be tempered by a side comment, is greater quality control reason to up this price to such an extent? Also being aware that part of the price hike is down to the semi-auto pressing process]. Part of the reason why they are limited is because they will only appeal to a limited number of listeners or more likely, collectors! Oh, and those hoping to make a few $'s out of it! I really don't see either selling out too soon.

Newbury Comics have two Hendrix titles readily available, great pressings and not as yet sold out! ELL and ABAL mono. The latter was issued about 12 months after the self same title / cut appeared on standard black vinyl and "limited" to 2500. I did wonder at the time why so many given it was so soon after the standard black issue. But like I say, still available.
    If someone wants great pressings of Hendrix here they are .....................................
    Vinyl Records & Exclusives | Newbury Comics
    And at "real" prices. These can be bought without any "fear" whats so ever.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Any claimed extra cost and quality due to semi automatic pressings is not true. They have been using these presses for standard QRP releases since the plant opened. When Classic were booted from RTI they used similar presses (though could have still been fully manual). Cost of original Classic Records Clarity vinyl (Flat Profile 200 gram) was £25 a disc and £55 for single sided box sets. Also I can't be certain they are not using the old Classic plates for the Axis Mono. Bernie recut the mono only a couple years ago along with mono AYE and it is said to be inferior to the Classic version he cut (I only bought AYE since I have the Classic). That version is obtainable from Music on Vinyl. Unless through Amazon, postage from USA has got too expensive.

7. jasonsouza77

8. jasonsouza77 likes this.
  9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Lord help me if they do. Do I really need to buy all those titles again? The problem is, I know I probably would.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  10. jasonsouza77

I have just place my order for 1 mono n 1 stereo at AS :p

FashionBoy likes this.
  11. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Dutch shop Northend's database will be populated by entries gathered from elsewhere. The headline however will be made by them. They probably figured it would be 45 rpm 2-LP because of the price it was announced for: usd 99.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    jasonsouza77 likes this.
  12. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Kinda like I was expecting.

bibijeebies likes this.
  13. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

1-lp 200 grams, Finebilt machine pressed, extra quality control, only 5000/1500 pressed, it had better be good for usd 99!

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  14. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

As I recall, Acoustic Sounds doesn't bill your card until it ships the item. Curiousity has gotten the best of me here. I went ahead and preordered the mono as I think it's the version I'd prefer and will likely sell out much sooner. Why 1500 vs. 5000 stereo? I wouldn't be surprised if the mono sells out in the next month or two and possibly even the stereo before release date.

I consider this a sample of Chad's UHQR product. I don't intend to by them all but if it's impressive I'll buy select favorite titles.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    jasonsouza77 and 4xoddic like this.
  15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Ah Fremer's review got my hopes up.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

My card was charged. I'm not sure if the charge will drop or not. I've been buying from Acoustic Sounds for years but this is my first preorder.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I agree with what you said, HOWEVER, that theory doesn't seem to hold water when it comes to the RL pressing of Led Zep II. All the RLs I've seen and played have music grooves almost right up to the label, yet the sound is to die for.

nitsuj and jasonsouza77 like this.
  18. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I just pre-ordered the stereo UHQR of Hendrix from Acoustic Sounds online. I have the very well done mono Classic Records version cut by Bernie way back in the day, and it sounds incredible, so I'll give the stereo a try. I never owned the stereo version of this album, so it will be somewhat "new" to my ears.

nitsuj likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yeah, that's why it's a balancing act. Also, and forgive me if I don't know all the individual songs from every LZ album, Sam, but back when albums were really programmed to be album sides, they tended to put quieter songs at the end of each side, as they are less demanding on bandwidth. Bigger songs fare less well there.

It's one of the reasons that The Beatles In Mono series sounds so good. Even the side ending songs sound really good. And their choice to put Past Masters on 3 LPs rather than 2 allowed for all of the songs to sound far more spacious than the UK original singles (particularly the early ones, which were put out on 7" EPs with 2 songs on each side).

20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Very true!...with the exception of Michelle, of course. Sad too, considering how good Rubber Soul from the mono box is...

21. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Interesting, I just preordered one of each and was told that they will not charge my card until time of shipping, which is only fair since the hopeful release date is 9 months away. Factor in delays as usual and we'll be spinning these for Christmas of 2018.

The major downside cost wise is that these do not qualify for the "over $89 free shipping", which adds another $20 per, effectively increasing the price to $120 each. :mad:

22. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Call me stupid, but I think I can trade the 45 RPM SQ improvement for a true to original song sequencing. I hardly stand near the turntable to flip sides immediately, and right after Spanish Castle Magic I want to hear Wait Until Tomorrow, not silence.

Slick Willie likes this.
  23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Yes, I had Amused To Death on preorder for about what seemed like two years from them and they didn't charge till it shipped. Of course, I renewed my card at least once in that time.

I've kind of become accustomed to "Not Eligible For Further Discount" but the "Does Not Qualify For Free Shipping" thing is a new one.

24. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Wait for "You have to thank us for releasing this", "Bad reviews of this item will be prosecuted"...

markmck79, jasonsouza77 and sonofjim like this.
  25. Sam

Sam Senior Member

If that's the case, then one must assume that the amazing sonics that people are hearing with the first 3 One Step releases are do to both 45 rpm speed and better mastering. I don't know, but I recall stereophile mentioning that they knew about the One Step process some years back but determined that it was too expensive to produce. Has Steve commented anywhere about the sound on any of the first 3 One Step releases? Especially the Bill Evans, since he did that several years back and both are 45 rpm. I'll have to look up and find where Steve wasn't a fan of the one step process. Things change, maybe we all need to see more proof as to how the one step process is beneficial. There was a time when Steve didn't believe 45 rpm speed resulted in better sound, but I believe he changed his mind since he mastered many titles at 45 rpm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.