Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'll definitely buy this. Every release that EH has put out has had at least a few absolute gems on it, even if they may be getting fewer and farther between.

2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Count me in as one of those looking forward to this release, hopefully it'll be available on vinyl.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Matthew Tate, fsutall and Hep Alien like this.
  4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

hodgo likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Tracks according to the Amazon site:

Mannish Boy - The first ever studio session by the group Hendrix would christen as his Band Of Gypsys. Hendrix, Cox & Miles shared a love for the blues as this driving, uptempo reworking of "Mannish Boy" by Muddy Waters makes clear.

Lover Man - Just two weeks before their triumphant New Year's concerts at the Fillmore East in NYC [yielding both 1970's Band Of Gypsys and 2016's sequel Machine Gun], Hendrix gathered with Cox and Miles to cut this dynamic rendition of what had become a favorite concert staple.

Stepping Stone - A totally unique take on this Hendrix favorite, with Jimi showcasing both blues and country styled licks atop a relentless, galloping beat.

$20 Fine -Stephen Stills joined Jimi, Mitch Mitchell and Buddy Miles Express keyboardist Duane Hitchings at this September 1969 session. With Stephen handling lead vocals and organ, Jimi added multiple guitar parts to this rollicking Stills original.

Power Of Soul - This 1970 studio session came three weeks after the Band Of Gypsys concerts at the Fillmore East. While a live version remains one of the highpoints of Band Of Gypsys, Jimi never released a studio version during his lifetime. For this album, we present the mix that Hendrix and Kramer prepared of the complete song at Electric Lady on August 22, 1970.

Jungle - The influence of Curtis Mayfield can be heard here as Jimi expands on the "Villanova Junction Blues" theme he made famous by its inclusion in the 1970 Woodstock documentary.

Things I Used To Do - Jimi is joined for this rendition of Guitar Slim's blues classic by Johnny Winter. Jimi's trademark guitar work and Winter's deft slide playing weaves in and around the foundation set by bassist Billy Cox and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young drummer Dallas Taylor.

Georgia Blues - Jimi reunited with some old friends from his pre-Experience days. Lonnie Youngblood, with whom Hendrix played in R&B groups like Curtis Knight & The Squires, voiced this superb twelve bar blues neatly underpinned by Hendrix's sublime rhythm and lead guitar work.

Sweet Angel - With Axis: Bold As Love only just released, Jimi immediately turned his focus to recording what would become Electric Ladyland. This gorgeous, instrumental reading of "Angel,", features Jimi on guitar, bass and vibraphone joined by Mitch Mitchell.

Woodstock - Stephen Stills came to this session fresh from having visited Joni Mitchell, who had a new song that Stills was excited to try and record. Long before CSNY's version, Stephen, Jimi and Buddy Miles recorded this amazing rendition.

Send My Love To Linda - A superb new Hendrix original composition recorded with Cox and Miles in the aftermath of their successful Band Of Gypsys performances at the Fillmore East.

Cherokee Mist - Together with drummer Mitch Mitchell, Jimi created this moody, evocative original complete with his playing of a sitar to complement his traditional electric guitar.

Hear My Train A-Comin - ????????????? (No info listed yet for this song on Amazon)

6. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

The consumer can defend their own damned self!

It’s called, “Don’t buy it if you don’t Want it!”

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The Simpsons taught us with "Space Mutants 4: The Trilogy Continues" that a trilogy can go beyond 3. :)

bluejimbop and supermd like this.
  8. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

I know that some people think the well is dry, but there a few things that I would like to see included on a new Hendrix collection. Most have even been previously released (in one form or another) but are now hard to find.

"Stepping Stone": the actual original single mix as featured on the 1970 single (never released on CD).
    "Izabella": the actual original single mix as featured on the 1970 single (never released on CD).

"Power of Soul": from the "Somewhere" single from 2013. Apparently features Hendrix' last work on the studio version of this tune, unlike the version on South Saturn Delta, which apparently still had some Douglas futzing. Would be nice to have this one on CD.

"Valleys of Neptune": the one from Lifelines, but in full, not just the extract.

"Blue Window": From the now rare Martin Scorcese Presents The Blues - Jimi Hendrix.

"12 Bar with Horns"
    : From the "Love or Confusion" CD single.

"Hear My Train A Comin'": Studio version from August 1970 if it's usable. Apparently the final Hendrix attempt to record the song in the studio.

"Blue Suede Shoes": Maybe if they could do some better edit than the one from Loose Ends.

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Nice to see "Send My Love To Linda" finally see a release from EH.

10. PacificOceanBlue

That is the best version available. Hard to imagine EH releasing it because they put so much emphasis on their "Frankenstein" version.

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  11. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

You mean don't fade it out as soon as the song starts? :biglaugh:

Hep Alien and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Thanks!
    Man they're REALLY taking the piss this time, what a barrel scrap. Loose Ends 2??.
    There's no cohesion, no logic whatsoever. Free Jimi from Janie's greedy greasy hands.

Mannish Boy

Yawn. Likely an alternate composite to the one on Blues, which wasn't great in the first pace.

Lover Man - Just two weeks before their triumphant New Year's concerts at the Fillmore East in NYC [yielding both 1970's Band Of Gypsys and 2016's sequel Machine Gun], Hendrix gathered with Cox and Miles to cut this dynamic rendition of what had become a favorite concert staple.

Semi-yawn. Uncirculated and nice to have a Gypsys studio version, but unlikely to better the Fillmore live version.

Stepping Stone - A totally unique take on this Hendrix favorite, with Jimi showcasing both blues and country styled licks atop a relentless, galloping beat.

Hm, might be interesting. Uncirculated, looks like.

$20 Fine -Stephen Stills joined Jimi, Mitch Mitchell and Buddy Miles Express keyboardist Duane Hitchings at this September 1969 session. With Stephen handling lead vocals and organ, Jimi added multiple guitar parts to this rollicking Stills original.

This sounds really cool! Stills is awesome in his own right.

Power Of Soul - This 1970 studio session came three weeks after the Band Of Gypsys concerts at the Fillmore East. While a live version remains one of the highpoints of Band Of Gypsys, Jimi never released a studio version during his lifetime. For this album, we present the mix that Hendrix and Kramer prepared of the complete song at Electric Lady on August 22, 1970.

Already released. Er, this was on the b-side of the EH Somewhere 45.

Jungle - The influence of Curtis Mayfield can be heard here as Jimi expands on the "Villanova Junction Blues" theme he made famous by its inclusion in the 1970 Woodstock documentary.

Already released. Ugh, this was on Dagger's Morning Symphone Ideas. Unenlightening.

Things I Used To Do - Jimi is joined for this rendition of Guitar Slim's blues classic by Johnny Winter. Jimi's trademark guitar work and Winter's deft slide playing weaves in and around the foundation set by bassist Billy Cox and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young drummer Dallas Taylor.

Already released semi-complete on Lifelines and the full take circullating 20+ years. Johnny rocks, but hard to get excited after hearing the thing for so many years.

Georgia Blues - Jimi reunited with some old friends from his pre-Experience days. Lonnie Youngblood, with whom Hendrix played in R&B groups like Curtis Knight & The Squires, voiced this superb twelve bar blues neatly underpinned by Hendrix's sublime rhythm and lead guitar work.

Already released on Martin Scorsese Presents

Sweet Angel - With Axis: Bold As Love only just released, Jimi immediately turned his focus to recording what would become Electric Ladyland. This gorgeous, instrumental reading of "Angel,", features Jimi on guitar, bass and vibraphone joined by Mitch Mitchell.

This sounds like a treat, vibraphone?

Woodstock - Stephen Stills came to this session fresh from having visited Joni Mitchell, who had a new song that Stills was excited to try and record. Long before CSNY's version, Stephen, Jimi and Buddy Miles recorded this amazing rendition.

Circulated. All collectors have heard it. Not amazing at all, but nice. Jimi on bass, no guitar.

Send My Love To Linda - A superb new Hendrix original composition recorded with Cox and Miles in the aftermath of their successful Band Of Gypsys performances at the Fillmore East.

Circulated. All collectors have heard it, unless they have dug up a different take with vocal.

Cherokee Mist - Together with drummer Mitch Mitchell, Jimi created this moody, evocative original complete with his playing of a sitar to complement his traditional electric guitar.

All collectors have heard it since 35+ years. Cool recording that deserves a release though.

Hear My Train A-Comin - ????????????? (No info listed yet for this song on Amazon)

Hm.

13. Big pete

Big pete Forum Resident

We dont have the complete woodstock session in electric collector land New version from late in the session.Diff take of jungle from dagger.Alt take of georgia blues .Just let it come out and then attack.I have afeeling this is gonna be great

14. Big pete

Big pete Forum Resident

20 dollar fine is from the sept 1969 session with stills same as woodstock features three overdubbed hendrix guitars

15. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

I want the studio album that should have been released in 69

Dark Horse 77, Hep Alien and Sean like this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, a real hotch potch but those unfamiliar with the tracks will get off on it I think.

Wasn't the existing vocal take the one that was on Lifelines (Jimi solo)? The (superb) band version I have on bootleg has no vocal.

joshm2286 and DTK like this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I don't think it's fair to complain about an official release of previously-booted material. Fans "shouldn't have heard these," so that's really on the listener who seeks out bootlegs.

SteveM, Hep Alien, hodgo and 7 others like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm pretty unfamiliar with Hendrix outside the first two Experience albums, but reading the track descriptions has me excited. Seems like a cool release.

19. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I bet it does now! :yikes:

Lownote30 and DTK like this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I really like this artwork.

[​IMG]

21. PacificOceanBlue

If that is the cover, it is terrible.

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

23. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Oh please don't start your Hendrix journey here, go back 20 years to when EH gained control of the catalogue and start there.

24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Is that a painting, or a heavily retouched photo?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, Purple Jim, Sean and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.