Chicago appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

I’ve always loved this version of “Free” from Carnegie Hall.

2. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Thanks to you both for this advice. I have to say - it was the early stuff on the documentary that really got my interest so CTA, II and III are my present targets. I'll also do some research on what is available live. A live album or two is sometimes the best introduction to a band with a catalogue that is before my time in my experience because it is not just the hits but it is still an overview and you can feed off the enthusiasm of the existing fans.

MortSahlFan and Reis like this.
  3. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

ah, I see what you did there :magoo:

Reis, Hep Alien and driverdrummer like this.
  4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

7. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

One of the best concerts I ever saw was Chicago in May of 1985. The USFL (United States Football League) tried a lot of things regarding increasing attendance to their football games. Denver had been one of the strongest franchises financially with the young league (they started in 1983.) What they would do is you buy a ticket for the game and the concert comes along with it. IIRC the game started around 5 p.m., Chicago game on stage at 8:30 and played the hits. All of them. I don't know the exact attendance figure but it looked to me to be about 30,000.

AudiophilePhil and Hep Alien like this.
  8. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

9. AudiophilePhil

"If You Leave Me Now" is just fine. I know it's a ballad but it was recorded with Chicago vintage sound and it is in the same vein as their earlier ballads such as "Wishing You Were Here," "Colour My World," "Just You "N Me," "Happy Man," or "Never Been in Love Before" unlike the sappier ballads that they recorded with David Foster and even worse, the ballads written for them by Dianne Warren and other writers during the late 80's, the 90's and the 2000's.
    Like the Beatles and numerous other bands from the 60's, the 70's and the 80's, sometimes a band needs to include a soft number/ballad or two for their albums to show their versatility as a band and to make their albums more balanced.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  10. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Nice. I'm thinking this is 1979/Chicago 13 era?

11. AudiophilePhil

You are correct.
    Aqueduct Racetrack, NY 7/28/79

Tom Perry and Hep Alien like this.
  12. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

That’s a great photo of Peter. Here, he still looks like a Rock and Roll singer.

Hep Alien and AudiophilePhil like this.
  13. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

I kind of have to agree with you. Happy Man from VII is my favorite PC song. It is top notch even if it has no horns. The David Foster Years really stunted their great sound and also the trends of the 80s.

14. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

15. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I wonder whether Chicago would have had much of an audience at all in the 80s but for the Foster sound. I appreciate that the classic era was in the early period (to late 70s) but there seems to have been a real drop in quality of output in the immediate pre-Foster albums and a lack of chart success. The "horn-jam-funk" style can only be reinvented to an extent. The Stone of Syphius "press and reaction" being so mixed indicates that they will never be that peak period band again and if it had been an 80s album I doubt it would have been commercially successful (or paid the bills).

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

You got that right.
    Foster was a great producer & all ("Let me remind you of my 16 Grammys"), and the "sound" he produced for Chicago during that period would've been fine for any other band.... But it really didn't sound like Chicago.
    I removed most of my Chicago 80s songs from my Ipod playlist.
    I usually skipped them anyway.

I hear enough 80s Chicago on Sirius-XM's 80s channel (I mostly listen to the 60s, 70s, 80s & 50s channels)

17. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

I also deleted the sappy 80s ballads from my IPOD.
    I’ve heard many more great Chicago tracks on Deep Tracks lately maybe because of the Band’s and recently Terry Kath’s Documentary. “In the country” Poem for the People” Fancy Colors” South Calif Purples. It’s such a treat.

MortSahlFan and AudiophilePhil like this.
  18. AudiophilePhil

I agree. The Tanglewood concert is one of their very best live performances. I also love the 1972 Arie Crown Theater concert and the 1977 Essen, Germany concert.

In the 1977 Essen concert, right before IYLMN, Pankow acting like a drunk and started mocking the song and Danny tells him to shut up. Danny steps up to quell the nonsense as Laudir grins.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Coming soon on 12/12/17, The Terry Kath Experience.

[​IMG]

For poor souls like me, who downgraded their cable package and lost channels like AXS TV, which the special originally aired on.

20. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

Great documentary. It was a lot different than the Chicago band doc. Peter Cetera is actually in it and also Jim Guercio. The DVD/Blue Ray has 30 additional minutes of extras. Also concert footage.

MortSahlFan, Hep Alien and ZackyDog like this.
  21. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

Is this the doc his daughter did?

MortSahlFan likes this.
  22. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Yes, indeed.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  23. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

For some reason I thought it was called the search for terry kath or something like that

MortSahlFan likes this.
  24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

We need an official DVD of the Essen performance

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Is it streaming anywhere (Netflix, Hulu, etc.)?

I’m going to snag this one once it is released, but would love to watch it ASAP :)