Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I'd recommend going back 50 years and getting the third Experience album --- that is, Electric Ladyland --- before going any further.

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

My plan is to hit Electric Ladyland, Cry of Love, and Rainbow Bridge before really going through much else.

Looks like the latter, with the blue background added.

Jimi Bat, Purple Jim, NOS300B and 2 others like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That will keep you more than busy!!!

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I think it’s great. :)

supernaut, Jam757, NOS300B and 3 others like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. One of the greatest all-time albums in rock history as far as I am concerned.

6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

:righton::righton::righton::righton::righton::wave:

7. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Let me introduce you to Pro Tools... (perfect for Frankensteining). :righton::wave::D:targettiphat:

DTK and ToneLa like this.
  8. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if they did what they did with "Valleys of Neptune": take the instrumental BOG version and put a recording of the solo vocal over it.

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Hep Alien, jhm and Arnold Grove like this.
  10. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Also, for me Hendrix is one of the rare artists where I would pretty much buy anything of his that's officially released. His ability and talent were so extraordinary that even his loose jams and scraps are worth hearing for his soloing and playing alone.

11. SoundAdvice

There's just barely enough wiggle room for EH to say these 4 were never "fully authorized commercial releases". They've proven twice int he past that Dagger are not commercial releases(Scrapbook bonus CD/VON Target exclusive bonus tracks). Scorsese disc got yanked off the market.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Would it be ok if I made the decision, instead of having to pick a side before hearing a note of music on a particular product?

What has EH done that's SO offensive, other than release Jimi's music, and made a few bucks on it?
    It's kept his legacy out there, which is more than any of Jimi's "real blood" had ever done.

So yeah, big ups to EH for making live and studio Hendrix magic available to Jimi's real fans.
    Think I'll go put Record Plant 2x off Burning Desire, a lengthy edited jam that SHOULD be heard, instead of laying in a vault disintegrating.
    Oh but, No, Jimi didn't release it himself, so how could anybody possibly enjoy it?

On a personal note, not directed to you Rudy, but it's the same posters saying the same old ****, every time EH releases music.
    The best part is posters who insist they know what Jimi would have wanted, a doped up musician who was being pulled in all sorts of directions, and then proceed to browbeat others as naive for not agreeing.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

This is fine news, I suppose, but I would be more excited to learn that we were getting definitive CD editions of the three canonical studio albums, including mono and stereo mixes for the first two albums. The time has more than come.

15. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Big surprise

I wasn't expecting this

Cherokee Mist from 1968 at last!

Hep Alien, hodgo and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Can someone explain a bit more about this “Frankensteining?” I know that Kramer did lots of editing, but I don’t know the details. Thanks

17. SoundAdvice

Some of us have heard a big chunk of this album via rough mixes. We will pay for new upgrades of everything, but roll our eyes at some of the marketing.

Promoting these as albums is disingenuous. Even if the individual pieces are good, there is little tying them together. Many of us don't understand why they try to sell a million copies of these via places like Walmart/Target instead of selling 20 themed archive releases that sell more than 5,000 copies each at indie record stores. They have 600 hours of multitracks and an aging fan base that still has a high thresh hold for buying studio outtakes/alternates/jams.

Noel Redding did line notes for a 4 or 6 CD "grey market" boxset of studio stuff that was more interesting than some EH projects. I've also seen fan track lists for First Rays that were better than EH. There's non-EH books regarding Jimi's upbringing serve his legacy better than Janie.

18. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

There will be SACD editions coming out soon of the first 2 Jimi Hendrix albums stereo & mono

19. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I suggest you don't buy it.

Hendrix was one of my very first concert experiences, I was immediately hooked and I'll continue to buy pretty much anything that comes out of the vault until there's nothing left even if it duplicates some weird boot I already own.
    I freaking LOVE this stuff!

The Beave and Sean like this.
  20. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

Well, shut my mouth! :) Thank you for the good news!

bluejimbop likes this.
  21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Douglas Adams made it to 5!

Mostly Harmless is a 1992 novel by Douglas Adams and the fifth book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. It is described on the cover of the first editions as "The fifth book in the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhikers Trilogy".
    Mostly Harmless - Wikipedia

Carserguev, marmalade166 and The Hud like this.
  22. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Some interesting stuff, maybe some not-so-interesting stuff. And I'll echo what several folks have already said--NO MORE Frankenstein versions, for Pete's sake.

But OF COURSE I'm in!

23. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

It’s not a boot. It’s jimi ..... so heck yeah I’m buying this

hodgo likes this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Kramer can combine the two. ;)

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Because it is more cost effective to sell one item a million times than making 20 releases to a smaller fan base.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.