Fleetwood Mac 2018 Reunion/Farewell Tour...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmpatrick, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

"Inserting" is the key word here (cough)

2. Paul Saldana

Drop acid and listen to their Epic material, that'll do it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

All Stevie has to do is work out her song arrangements the way she wants them, making demos with her other non-Mac musician friends. Then present her finished demos to Fleetwood Mac, instructing them to re-record the songs, copying her fixed arrangements.

Thus everyone should be happy. We get new Stevie songs, and she doesn't have to deal with Lindsey telling her what to do.

Next...

4. Paul Saldana

If she could find her own ass she wouldn't require direction.

Tom Petty once said that collaborating with her was incredibly difficult, as she can't tell you what she wants, and she doesn't play any instruments.

5. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

She'll record new music, I'm sure, just not with the band. She last fully participated in recording with the band for the Say You Will album in 2003. Could barely be persuaded to make an appearance on the 2013 EP. While the Buckingham McVie album was first getting underway, with the band open to making it a Fleetwood Mac album, she decided to record a solo album of old unreleased songs. They waited for her until they couldn't wait anymore and released it without her.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, I just read an article about her. She basically told the rest of the band, “do what you want, but I’m not into it”.

Matthew Tate and sunspot42 like this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

She prefers (she says) collaborators who work with her in a supportive way, unlike Lindsey.

Matthew Tate and sunspot42 like this.
  8. Efus

Efus Senior Member

They could do it. 20-25 minute set perhaps after an intermission.
    Oh Well, Black Magic Woman, Green Manalishi, perhaps a little Rattlesnake, then finish up w Albatross.

Big roadblock is obviously who gets paid what, and if the 5 Rumours players would allow it to happen.
    I think it'd be a mistake if FM didn't at least acknowledge it's past in this last go round.

GodShifter likes this.
  9. Paul Saldana

I wonder if she thought Tom Petty was unsupportive.

10. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Stevie can and does play instruments. She may not be a virtuoso but she plays well enough to write a song and get across what she wants so if that was what Petty said, I disagree. Here is the Leather and Lace demo from 1975, Stevie on guitar.

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Now I'd pay to see that.

Hep Alien and mpayan like this.
  12. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

How do we know who's playing what? Plus I'm pretty sure she didn't write this song in 1975.

13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Having heard her home demos going back even before 1975, Stevie can play guitar, but possibly not on stage with legends quality. I have a huge regard for her as a songwriter.

I'm really tired of the various factions of fans trashing earlier/later members... Bob Welch did a great Green Manalishi, and Lindsey B. does a great Oh Well. If anyone can find another player of the quality of Danny Kirwan or Peter Green they should definitely go into management, but maybe steer them away from taking too much acid.

14. Exile On My Street

You perhaps may be correct about the year, I know the song was originally supposed to be for Waylon Jennings so it may have been written a few years later but that is irrelevant. The point here was the assertion that Stevie cannot play an instrument nor articulate to anyone what it is she wants the song to sound like. I have heard many demos of L and L and it's Stevie on guitar. There was one particular demo where she messes up and it's clearly her own mistake and she redoes it.

Anyway, I won't be spending the next 40 posts defending Stevie Nicks' credentials as a songwriter when she has written so many fantastic songs.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

sounds good but wheres Jeremy's Elmore James imitation?

[​IMG]

I think the bigger roadblock is getting our boys back in fighting shape. jeremy still plays but the other two guitarists recent past is a little hazy, is it like riding a bike? it would be pretty cool to seem them back though, id watch and I usually ignore reunion shows

Efus likes this.
  16. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I saw Peter Green and the Splinter Group when they toured the West Coast back in 1998. Although it was great to see him onstage again, he was only a shell of his former self from when I saw them at the Whiskey a Go Go back in 1970. I hear that Danny Kirwan has mental health issues as well. Years of mental health problems combined with not playing regularly can not have a good outcome. I would rather remember them when they were the British blues powerhouse from the late 1960's,

sunking101 and ash1 like this.
  17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The late 60's were a long, long time ago. And unfortunately there wasn't much that could be done to keep that era of the band alive in the public consciousness. Honestly, if Clapton hadn't had a hugely successful series of projects/solo career, I'm not sure Cream would be anywhere near as well-remembered as they are outside of hardcore blues fans. There's a lot of (often valid) criticism thrown at old acts who keep touring the same material year in and year out, but I think a big part of the drive to do that is just to keep that music on the public's radar. Obviously, while Peter Green eventually did return to performing at some level, it wasn't anywhere near the scale required to put that version of the Mac into bigger venues.

beccabear67 and MrGrumpy like this.
  18. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

As much as I would like to see Peter and Danny together again, I don’t think they are either interested or able as such. Peter is living a quiet life now and Danny is fortunate to be in a more settled and secure existence.

Listen to the Boston Tea Party or Warehouse tapes and hear one the greatest guitar duos in rock history. Blistering stuff.

beccabear67 and ash1 like this.
  19. Hep Alien likes this.
  20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I never heard her do anything but heap praise on Petty, so I'd imagine she found him supportive.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Nicks plays the piano too. Mostly just chords and stuff - she's no Tori Amos - but she's doing pretty good here for someone coming off klonopin:

22. Exile On My Street

Here is another Leather and Lace demo.

She even comments @1:02 how she keeps screwing up because her "hands are getting very wet" and then restarts the song several times. Obviously she is playing guitar here.

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I get the sense that it was a financial decision, motivated by the fact that albums no longer sell and by her ability to play arenas as a solo act. Instead of working months in a studio on an album, she made the decision to tour. Needless to say, the profits from an album these days are dwarfed by box office revenues from an arena tour.

I find it quite surprising that she is able to playing arenas like Madison Square Garden as a solo artist. But since she can, it doesn’t make a lot of (economic) sense to spend too much time in a recording studio.

ribonucleic likes this.
  24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I wonder if she'll go along for the final tour? She can play to similar-sized audiences as a solo act, and doesn't need to split the haul with 4 other people.

25. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I have mentioned this before in a Brian Wilson / Van Dyke Parks Smile related thread but my kids are working on a Lego time machine and when it's ready I'm happy to fit in as many people as is realistic. My kids are very enthusiastic about this project and both seem convinced this machine will be bigger on the inside than the outside which I don't quite understand but I'm currently planning to see the Beatles at the Star Club and Cavern / The Beck - Page Yardbirds 1966 / Hendrix at Monterey / a few Coltrane gigs with Eric Dolphy and 9 or 10 Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac gigs from the period with Danny Kirwan probably around late 1969 to May 1970.
    I'll try and keep you informed as to current progress.
    If anyone has an orange 20 x 18 brick can they PM me please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.