New Mobile Fidelity titles in latest Music Direct catalog*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lovealego, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

That is a shame... Now i have to look for a good sounding version again !

2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

If that's true then that is a damn shame. Both Crime and Breakfast should of have been UD1S'd.

3. I wish we would get more Dean Martin SACDs from MFSL but seeing how its price has already been reduced, I'm guessing it didn't sell well for MFSL.

Mr. Explorer, wayneklein and art like this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Maybe, but in some of these cases, they're still not making super imaginative choices. Or, like Weezer and the Pixies, albums that kind of sounded awful to begin with...mastering wasn't gonna fix them.

Like, R.E.M...the original vinyl and CD versions of their IRS catalog sounded just fine, but everything from Monster onwards was a sonic disaster. A MFSL version of New Adventures In Hi-Fi would've been a much more interesting release. Really, there are dozens upon dozens of loudness war-era titles that they could go after, but don't for whatever reason, and it's disappointing. Like, they did some INXS vinyl releases, but stopped before Welcome To Wherever You Are, an album that could really use a nice reissue (and is almost impossible to find on original vinyl, meaning I'm sure it would've sold at least a few copies).

Audiophile labels also seem to be stubbornly US-centric, meaning artists like Paul Weller (yes, I know there was one MFSL CD release way back when), the entire 90's Britpop era, 90's Electronica (surely there'd be some people on board for well-done Chemical Brothers or Orb releases, no?). It's very strange.

Mr. Explorer, Audioresearch and Echo like this.
  5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

If MOFI wants to reissue Spiritualized or Pulp, I am here for it.

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It's difficult to get the licence from british labels (Capitol vs EMI) and more difficult the tapes from Abbey Road. See AP's Decca reissues.... they don't ship the tapes to USA, they had to remaster the reissues in Europe.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Rock out this holiday season with Train’s holiday album Christmas In Tahoe. Full of holiday classics like “O Holy Night” and “This Christmas,” you’ll have the perfect soundtrack for a rockin’ holiday smartURL #UniversalChristmas

[​IMG]

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. That is a real limitation for the American audiophile labels handling European acts. It's a big reason why we haven't seen AP and others tackle British folk acts, for example. Which need audiophile masterings but haven't seen many Hi-Rez releases.

9. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

MFSL's Heart Like A Wheel is shipping now from Music Direct

art, Lucidae and George P like this.
  10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Vinyl or SACD?

11. Joti Cover

SACD

art and George P like this.
  12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Past tense - SHIPPED :cop:

Joti Cover likes this.
  13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Which Weller solo album did they do? I have the Jam two-fer but never saw anything else.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So those that have the AF Gold CD of Heart Like A Wheel...you really expect the hi res of the MFSL to make a $30 + difference in what you hear ?

Asking because Steve's mastering of this album has always floored me, and I just can't believe I would hear any difference whatsoever.
    Upcoming reviews should be interesting.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  15. walrus

Gah I meant to specify I was talking about that Jam two-fer. My brain runs a lot faster (but no more coherently) than my typing fingers.

16. walrus

Looking at labels like Music On Vinyl, which are European-based and seem to be doing incredibly well...surely Americans aren't the only audience for audiophile releases. You'd think it'd be worth the effort to set up a UK branch specifically for this purpose, or for some new player to come on the scene and be the "MFSL/AF of Europe." Abbey Road tapes are one thing, but there isn't much difference between US and UK labels these days...they're all owned by the same international conglomerates, for the most part.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Seek out the Platinum SHM-CD. I don't think Mofi would be able to top it.

Plan9 likes this.
  18. Simple Dreams sounds fine on the Mofi CD. They did use the Aural Exciter during recording and that can't be undone but, aside from that, it sounds good. I'd be curious WHY they think it sounds bad. What's bad about Hasten?

Joti Cover likes this.
  19. So the. Why are we seeing the SACD single layer reissued? Not wanting money when he's ill? I just don't believe it and Rick doesn't own the master as I recall.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Great advice, unfortunately i am looking for an analog version...

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I referred to the vinyl versions. Glad the digital must be much better. I assume the vinyl in this case was remastered independent of the digital version given mfsl did it.

Joti Cover likes this.
  22. Joti Cover

I emailed MFSL last night to find out who remastered Heart Like A Wheel (SACD) and should know that soon.
    Will get back w that info here today.

23. Joti Cover

I hope the remastering for Heart Like A Wheel in on par w/ MFSL's version of Carly Simon's No Secrets SACD which sounded great to me. Rob did the work on that one.

art likes this.
  24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Still..... differences! An example Black Sabbath. Some were only reissued by Rhino/Warner in USA, some only by Universal UK.

25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

They’re very muffled. For the most part it sounds like Linda has lost the ability to pronounce the letter ‘s’. Of those MOFI titles, Don’t Cry Now is the best, but I thought the rest were disappointing. And God knows what tapes they used for Prisoner In Disguise.. It sounds terrible! The original Asylum CDs are all superior.

Joti Cover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.