Use Your Illusion Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Yup, own them and they are great DVDs. The band is on fire, and deliver a great set list.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Regarding that, a while ago I read this writeup on that whole Snakepit/GN'R mess, where the guy tried to make that into an album by the band. It came out pretty good, and you can see the logic behind his choices, getting pretty close to what could've happened, for me: The Reconstructor: Guns n' Roses - Gardens City (1995)

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Huge fan but I don't listen to GN'R as much as I did even just a few years ago. I think I got burned out on them I listened to them so much. I'd probably still rate them as my favorite band ever though, because I've never been into anyone as much as I was GN'R. Lots of heated debates on mygnrforum too! And I have to say, the best days in some perverse kind of way, were waiting for snippets of Chinese Democracy and when they leaked, look out! It was exciting!

RNDTH - I'd say below average for a UYI song and well below average for a GN'R song. Although it's better than I remember it. I'd probably give it a 4/10. It's just a straight ahead rocker lacking in groove, melody, or anything that would make it stand out for me.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Dust N' Bones

One of my favourite song of the whole lot, written and sung by Izzy it's got that dirty Stones 70s vibe. Izzy worte a mean machine on this one, some grit and nasty lyrics to go with it. I like Axl on the high harmonoies and chorus in here.

Basically a song about the hardships and many faces of women and relationships, and then you are just fuc%$#& gone....

It would have sounded much better with the push and pull aof Steven's swing, oh well...

QQQ and Rhett like this.
  5. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Relevant

Exile On My Street likes this.
  6. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

Dust N' Bones is a quality sleazy number. And a track that I think would make its way onto most people's single Illusion playlist...

7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Sorry everyone, held up by other things.
    Dust N' Bones:

We hit Track Two with Dust N Bones, the first of four Izzy-sung tunes on this double decker. This song is credited to Izzy, SLash, and Duff.
    We kicks off with Izzy singing over a slow and steady rhythm before the band kicks in at :11, and the band is in kind of a sleazy boogie groove, for once I don't mind Dizzy's keys, and the talkbox is actually a pretty neat touch, shading the guitars on this tune. And I like Izzy's delivery on this tune, has that kind of scratchy burnout quality that works really well with this song. And I like that part at 2:29 where it slows down before the solo, and the solo itself isn't too bad either.
    Overall, a really cool tune that makes up for Right Next Door to Hell.

8. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Right Next Door To Hell" has probably the worst non-existent melody on both albums, save "My World". There is hardly a tune to hum, Axl and Izzy.

"Dust vs. Bones": great song in which Izzy, Slash, and Duff wrestle with the human condition. This is the type of song that makes the "Appetite is the only GNR album" crowd seem like they aren't paying attention. Thematically, this song is right in step with Appetite.

9. Buzzman3535

Buzzman3535 Forum Resident

Just joining thread.

Right next door to hell is a better than average but not great song. I agree with previous comments that is just lacked any kind of groove. Should not have been the opener to such a long anticipated album, would have been fine buried in the middle somewhere. There are so many A+ tracks, its just sort of a mystery they couldn't pick the right spots for their best cuts. Will all the money spent on that album, they whiffed on pacing those UYI albums.

Anyway, Dust and Bones would have made a hell of an opener. When they slow it down....get out on your own, take all you want, etc..... man I was 16 listening to that one at full volume pressing the gas pedal down harder. That was pure rock n roll man.

Dust and Bones had the old Guns N Roses feeling. It was just plain cool and had some good swagger.

10. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Dust N' Bones

There is a really great Izzy solo album within the Illusions and this song kicks butt. I love the sleazy vibe and Izzy's vocals are perfect in conveying that attitude in the song. I think Slash's playing on this song (and on the Illusions in general) is also spectacular, the way he mimics the verses and throws in those excellent fills in between. This song sort of rolls in the way I wish the opening cut did. All in all we're off to a pretty fantastic start of high quality songs. For me, we hit a brick wall tomorrow but for today all is well. Rock on, Izzy!! [​IMG]

Joey The Lemur and Zoot Marimba like this.
  11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Loved this song when I was 18 in '91. Still do! I hate Axl's voices on this - there's some low voice in the right speaker that's annoying. I hated that about the UYI's - the low voices that popped out of the speakers in various songs - totally unnecessary. Dizzy's keys sound good on this.
    I'd love to hear a remix of this and take out the stoopid low voice I think Axl is doing in the song (happens at the 'sometimes these women are so easy' area of the song).
    Otherwise this should've been the opener and I always played it as such when I played the CD. I hated the first track - Right Next Door To Hell.
    Izzy was my favorite Gunner and will always be. Without Izzy in the band I have no interest in GNR.

12. Zoot Marimba

Here's a live version I found:

unclesalty likes this.
  13. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Dust N' Bones

A cool bar room kinda tune . Izzy's vocals fit this really well. Sounds like a song Salma Hayek would dance to at The Titty Twister.

It does get repetitive, though. I don't think a laid back song like this would make a good opening track. I agree with @Rhett about Axl's vocal drop-ins. They're unnecessary - Izzy does just fine by himself.

enro99 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

It always worked and still does as an opening track for me. It's all about the groove. :cool:

Joey The Lemur and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yeah, Dust N' Bones is just a great tune. Especially love the final verse. I would honestly prefer Axl's vocals not be on the song. Seems a little forced to me and IMO they don't add anything. But the song is still great.

Someone mentioned Matt's drumming. I have some thoughts on that, but I think I'll wait until we get to him. A lot of people see Matt as a problem with these albums - I don't!

And I agree with those who say this would have been better released as 1 album. They'd have had a great head start for their fourth album too. But, maybe we got more good songs this way (even if it was just an additional 2-3 songs) and it was a pretty big thing to do, followed by a massive tour. I get why they did it, and if I was calling the shots I might have done the same thing.

Right Next Door to Hell - 4/10
    Dust N' Bones - 8.5/10

Fonz likes this.
  16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Dust N' Bones is a track that shows just how important Izzy was to keeping the Stones aspect of the band in tact - the swagger and the sleaze, the low key and the raw.

17. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Looks like Axl grew up to be Greg the Hammer Valentine.

lesterbangs, PJayBe and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. Exile On My Street

There are a lot of those "vocal drop-ins" throughout the Illusions that are unnecessary. I guess this is the point where Axl's OCD kicked in, always piling on more overdubs to songs that are essentially finished. I've learned to ignore them for the most part but the songs would be a lot better off without them.

DTK, BDC and Zoot Marimba like this.
  19. Exile On My Street

I'm surprised I'm one of the few that thinks Hell is a good opening track. The melody gets caught in my head and anytime I make my imaginary single disc "Choose Your Illusion" I always include that song.

DTK, CrombyMouse, Ryan Lux and 3 others like this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

Oh yeah, Axl overthinking and overcooking the **** out of something. That won't become a reoccurring problem.

21. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

No Izzy...not interested.... Slash as good as he is bores me to tears...
    Always sounds the same......Like pick up a strat or something...
    I liked Matt in the Cult....but not in G&R and I hate VR......

GodShifter likes this.
  22. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

Nice thread :)

I'm of the opinion that these two double albums should have been condensed into a single one - You Could Be Mine should have opened - to me it's a no-brainer - smokin' track!

Dust N' Bones - maybe my favorite GNR track - love it :love:

23. Zoot Marimba

Hope you stick around

Bubba Zanetti likes this.
  24. I like Dust N Bones, but it sounds a little unfinished to me. Doesn't need more production. But it maybe needed more time to whip the vocal melody into shape. This would have have been stronger if they'd had some time playing it in clubs for people. The problems that come with being trapped by your own success were starting to take root. Consider this one a solid double, but it should have been a triple or homer. It is the best thing that Izzy did for the album.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  25. For those talking about compiling a "best" Illusion album at the end of this: we ought to do a poll. And then to make it really interesting, don't allow 74 minutes of time to be filled. That's double album length and is too long for one sitting. Let's see the REALLY tough editorial decisions get made with it being edited down to 12 songs and no more than 50 minutes. That would be fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.