The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It's a weird one; recordings on the archive have a different and longer setlist than the one given on Dead.net and other setlist sites like this:
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~./gdead/dead-sets/73/12-6-73.txt

I never noticed this before, I've just heard circulating versions, but did they play Weather Report Suite?! If so, it seems like a long show...but WRS seems to be missing from circulating sources, if it was in fact played. Does anyone know the deal with this?

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Yes.

3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

And one day Im going to listen to it. Interrupted. In the right circumstances.

US Blues likes this.
  4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I hear where you are coming from and felt the same way to me initially, but it grew on me pretty quickly. I think you have to go to it more than it goes to you. Remember that Winterland box was Plangented so maybe that makes it feel a tad more unnatural by comparison with the little more normal '73 tape wobble!

5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So, Days Between has been catching my ear recently. Anyone got any thoughts on this song? So strange and dark and psychedelic sounding.

Cool song, imo. :)

6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

You're talking about a top 5, you've just named 5.

My 'top 5' has more than 5 on it for sure, (in accordance with principles well established on this thread,) but the only one from 1973 is 12-6. (maybe 3-24 gets on the second team.)

In some Dark Stars they are on a course for orbit in a distant star system. In others they are pinging haphazardly around the galaxy, maybe finding a wormhole or three. IMO 1973 has more of the former, whereas the latter is my preference.

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

You should see the Long Strange Trip film. The entire last segment (~1 hr) is kind of built around that tune, the last Garcia-Hunter masterpiece.

It's too late now, but it was a typical story of GD missed opportunities that they weren't able to put together a last album sometime in 93-95. Even if they had carefully selected live performances, brushed them up in the studio (if even possible, don't know what's on multitrack) etc. There's an album's worth of material with a couple of gems, and it probably would have been a massive success with the GD at the height of their popularity.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Like you, I would have said this about 8 months ago. Hammering the 4/24/72 Dark Star has flipped that in no uncertain terms; as great as the 4/8/72 version is, 4/24/72 reigns supreme in my domicile. But they're close.

9. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I suspect thatx by ‘93, the Dead, off the road for a lengthy period and in the studio, would have made for recorded material exceedig the quality of the live performances. Maturity, perhaps more patience, a healthier environment, certainly for Jerry, all could have meant they could focus on making a serious album. If only.

Also, in relation to Long Strange Trip, is it really going to remain as an Amazon streaming thing forever? I’d really like to see but can hardly figure out streaming and am not even sure I could access it from Australia.

...until you spend a week solid on 8 April and change your mind...!

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I did a free trial on amazon prime just for the docu. Connected the laptop via hdmi to the receiver and I was good to go

11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

This morning I listened to the original mix of Live/Dead "Dark Star" for the first time. I absolutely loved it, but then again, that's the way I feel about the three official mixes, mainly because it's one of my favorite performances of "Dark Star" ever. It's very interesting to listen to the different approaches producers have taken.

Crispy Rob, KeninDC, adamos and 2 others like this.
  12. Six Bachelors

If there is a Live/Dead anniversary set, hopefully the original mix is on there.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

At least we have the old CD, which sounds fine, at least to my ears.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  14. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I have moved the discussion to a more relevant thread:

The Plangent Process

bmoregnr likes this.
  15. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

The complete Blu-ray Fare Thee Well is the dead.net deal of the day - what are the thoughts about the set? Enjoyable? Awful? I’m a bit of a completist, so I may jump at the discounted price, but wanted to see if there was a consensus about it.

16. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

In regards to 6 December 1973- Cleveland. Here is the setlist via Dealists.com:

Cleveland Public Hall
    Location Cleveland, OH
    Date 12/6/73 - Thursday

One: Bertha ; Mexicali Blues ; Loser ; Black Throated Wind ; They Love Each Other ; Beat It On Down The Line ; Deal ; El Paso ; Row Jimmy ; Greatest Story Ever Told ; China Cat Sunflower [9:15] > I Know You Rider ; Around And Around

Two: Ramble On Rose ; Me And My Uncle ; Here Comes Sunshine ; Big River ; Dark Star [43:27] > Eyes Of The World [13:57] > Stella Blue [9:21] ; Sugar Magnolia [9:33]

Comments: Show [3:05:00] Information based on vault tape. {Dark Star 0:00 > First Verse 24:45 to 26:00 > end 43:05}.

Here is the setlist from SHNID 132361, Master Reel > DAT, via CM:

--Set 1--
    101-d1t01 - Bertha
    102-d1t02 - Mexicali Blues
    103-d1t03 - Loser
    104-d1t04 - Black Throated Wind
    105-d1t05 - They Love Each Other
    106-d1t06 - Beat It On Down the Line
    107-d1t07 - Deal
    108-d1t08 - El Paso
    109-d1t09 - Row Jimmy
    110-d1t10 - Greatest Story Ever Told
    111-d2t01 - China Cat Sunflower ->
    112-d2t02 - I Know You Rider
    113-d2t03 - Around & Around

--Set 2--
    201-d2t04 - Ramble On Rose
    202-d2t05 - Me & My Uncle
    203-d2t06 - Here Comes Sunshine
    204-d2t07 - Big River
    205-d3t01 - Dark Star ->
    206-d3t02 - Eyes of the World ->
    207-d3t03 - Stella Blue
    208-d3t04 - Sugar Magnolia

A 3-hour show with a 43:05 Dark Star. All is well in the Universe.

17. Six Bachelors

Apparently it has unpleasant noise reduction on it...

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Waht can I say, I enjoyed it anyway :laugh:. I'm not good at detecting noise reduction, to be honest.

Six Bachelors, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That is the way the show circulates, too. But where did the shorter setlist with WRS come from?

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As I recall there was a fake 12-6-73 setlist sourced from mislabeled tapes or sketchy memories from people who were there before the complete tape surfaced in the early 00's.

bzfgt likes this.
  21. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I have it on my GD hard drive but not sure that I've listened to it yet. Need to fix that soon, 1973 is my favorite year!

:)

US Blues and SBegonias17 like this.
  22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

The 2001 version sounded odd to me at first because I'd played the original so much (first on cassette and then on CD; I never had the vinyl). I haven't played them together in a long time so I can't objectively compare them right now, but the original will always be a dear old friend.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Six Bachelors, Crispy Rob and Rne like this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This morning -- Disc 1 of "So Many Roads" box.

What an incredible achievement this box is (IMHO). Boiling the Dead down into 5 discs -- let alone 5 mostly live discs -- is an impossible task. But my lord is this box a resounding success or what!
    From the Dark Star>China (killer version!) > The Eleven, to the Watkin's Jam, to an almost entire disc of new recordings. Hot damn this is some essential Dead.

24. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Finally pulled the trigger on "Road Trips Vol 1. #1" (Fall 1979) Haven't heard much from this tour but I'm excited to take a listen. I figured it would be worth grabbing while still available on dead.net

Now let's see if it comes with that Bonus Disc you guys have been talking up.....what do you think my chances are?

25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

8 December 1973- Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke University. Always a good show at Cameron. Getting a head start of this one today, may go through it twice, because it's the Grateful Dead.