Robert Plant: Fans Should Move On

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FredV, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Hilarious lots of jilted lovers, who's ex has moved on and found happiness.o_O

2. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Spot effing on. Also reminds me of that SNL sketch with Bill Shatner addressing the Star Trek convention.

Love,
    Billy

3. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

My suggestion to Robert Plant is to follow his own advice.

4. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

5. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Thank you Robert Plant for following your bliss and continuing to hit the road where your fans can partake!
    I've seen every tour he's done since he started in '83 (with Phil Collins on drums) and have truly enjoyed all the different takes on the music over the following years. Like most everyone else I was, of course, overjoyed when Page and Plant reunited in the 90's for a fresh take on their legacy - those evenings in concert I wouldn't trade for the world and the recordings and videos are thankfully forever.

I've got a GA floor ticket to Robert Plant & the his band next February that I paid $90 for. Deep appreciation that Mr. Plant revels in doing concerts like this one as opposed to performing in front of rows of investment bankers or what have you paying $500 in order to be in front of, and demand hits from, the "mighty Led Zeppelin."

From where I'm standing we're all better off as I forever remain the mood for a melody. Cheers to all!

JeffMo, keyXVII and Grow Fins like this.
  6. JABEE

JABEE Forum Resident

I feel like we already had Led Zeppelin. I'm not sure what else new the format can give music fans.

Led Zeppelin can also never really reunite without John Bonham who along with John Paul Jones were integral to their sound.

This man is 70+ years old. Going on stage as Led Zeppelin isn't going to turn back the clock. He won't become a boy again.

Performing music new and old in the context of who he is now makes more sense than reveling in the infamy, long-lost debauchery, and inimitable energy/power of Led Zeppelin.

Every time they have reunited, it has been mired in sloppiness. They are doing it out of obligation or money versus any real desire to be "The Led Zeppelin."

My opinion is it didn't work in the 80s when all the players were still close to their prime, because there was no true reunion without Bonham. Page's heart and his playing definitely wasn't in it.

They showed up at Live Aid and thought they could just cobble together something with Phil Collins with what appeared to be little rehearsal.

Anyone expecting more from Plant at this point when they already gave you more than a decade of material to listen and enjoy when they were at the top of the game are asking for something that will never return and will always disappoint.

7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

:biglaugh:

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If he were saying that older artists should not ever perform their old material, it would be hypocritical of him to then perform his older material. But he's not saying that. He's saying that the music press should focus on discovering and reporting on newer music, rather than dwelling so much on older music or artists, particularly on bands that are long-since broken up. His continued performance of some older material does not prevent the music press from reporting on newer music, so it's hardly hypocritical of him to do that.

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Another Shatner line might be apt: "There is some body - some thing - out there!!" :laugh::sigh:

10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Jilted lovers.....Jimmy Page would be chief among that number, even after a fairly successful "second marriage," so to speak.

Classic sketch, that Shatner one.

Look, I would love to have seen Zeppelin -- even bad Zeppelin -- but I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would love to have seen The Who w/Moon, Miles pre-sabbatical, Coltrane, the list goes on and on and on. But there's nothing I can really do about it.

Saw Jimmy & Robert together eight times, and very lucky to have the opportunity.

Sean and jazz_case like this.
  11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I am sure Robert Plant is scouring the Steve Hoffman forum looking for life advice as we speak

If so, hey Robert - big fan! Love Carry Fire, keep doing what you are doing

12. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

I highly doubt he is scouring anything on the web. Outside of his music, his main focus has been football. (i.e. soccer)

13. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

And you would know because...

14. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

He just turned 69 but don't let facts inspire you from coming down from your high horse, expert.

Love,
    Billy

JABEE likes this.
  15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I saw them on that tour, too. I agree.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You should write songs and form a band ;)

17. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Do Page and Jones want to reunite LZ now anyways?

That ship realistically sailed in 2008.

Even if Plant suddenly decided he was into it, I bet Jimmy would probably decide it was now a bad idea.

Right of first refusal.

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Plant was saying the very same thing back when he was promoting Now & Zen. At the time he named Lets Active and Jane's Addiction as two bands that people should be checking out instead.

jazz_case likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It should have ended in 1982.

20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Poor Robert Plant, he must live with this legacy... :shake::sigh::laugh:

21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Ramble on
    And now's the time, the time is now
    To sing my song

"Daddy, what's a magazine"?

22. JABEE

JABEE Forum Resident

I stand corrected. I should not have used his age as a reason to not tour with Zeppelin again. It shouldn’t matter to me if he still wants to “Ramble On” when he’s 80. He should do it, but he doesn’t want to do Led Zeppelin. He seems to want to do his own thing and make music in a different context.

Also, I’m no expert at aging or Led Zeppelin!

BillyMacQ likes this.
  23. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I don't blame him. It must be extremely annoying.

24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I say let the market decide.

There's room for both.

It's not an either/or proposition.

This isn't assistance for the truly disabled we're talking about.

Ste likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.