Favorite Psychedelic LP from the 1st era (1966-1975)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samthesham, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets, because I love how you can get lost in the overall soundscape of this LP every single time. Amazing record!

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermints. Is this even psych? Because if so, it's an LP I HAVE to list here, be it for the sing-along quality of all those weirdly poppy songs alone :wiggle:

The Beatles - Revolver, because hey, it's the Beatles. And I was quite shocked when I first heard songs like Taxman and Tomorrow Never Knows :laugh:

William Smart likes this.
  2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Might trigger a "hobo voyage" at my place...

3. Lightworker

Bubble Puppy channeled Moby Grape pretty well, as did The Thirteenth Floor Elevators on their final album Bull Of The Woods.
    Lots of other local TX bands were looking to The Jefferson Airplane for guitar tones and songs by '67, including Corpus Christi
    combos like Zakary Thaks and The Liberty Bell. All of these acts were playing this style by the release date of the Conqueroo 45.

Davmoco and beccabear67 like this.
  4. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

This album is a joy. Short tunes with hooks and it all works really well.

John Fell and Lightworker like this.
  6. Danny N.

Danny N. Active Member

Yeah, that's true, but I was more considering the west coast lengthy jams. But Conqueroo had been playing some time before the 45?

beccabear67 and Lightworker like this.
  7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Kameleoni I'm Gonna Tell You Part One (s/t EP, 1968, Yugoslavia)

Horse Majeure and William Smart like this.
  8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Drago Mlinarec Dijete zvijezda (Pjesme sa planine LP, 1972, Yugoslavia)

9. owsley

owsley Senior Member

If you listen to the Red Krayola's 'Parable of Arable' in mono, you may change your mind :)

samthesham and Electric like this.
  10. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

SF Sorrow is a good 'un.

11. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Love Disraeli Gears! I was 13 when it came out. I bought that and Are You Experienced for less than 5 bucks. As much as I loved The Beatles I thought these were better than Sgt Pepper and put my allowance down. Played them to death. It was near Xmas and my parents threatened to cancel it & bring my Ludwig's back to the store. Lol pax

notesfrom, SG47, tedhead and 2 others like this.
  12. William Smart

Always loved The Beatles Rubber Soul & Revolver back then more than Pepper or Mystery Tour. They didn't click with me til I was about 15. Stones Their Satanic Majesties Request is still a fave. All Doors. Iron Butterfly. Court Of The Crimson King made a huge impact along with In The Wake Of Poseidon, not sure Crimson counts as psychedelic, but from what I heard (cause I would never) they went great with Window Pane. Any Floyd pre-Dark Side. Zappa Just Another Band From LA, Hot Rats, Lumpy Gravy, Chung's Revenge. Dam there was a lot of great tunes back then. Whut Happened?

ronm and Horse Majeure like this.
  13. William Smart

I liked that one a lot!

Svetonio likes this.
  14. Lightworker

All those Texas bands could jam live. Even small town groups like The Dimensions Of Refugio were stretching out
    with long dual guitar improvisations by mid-1967 when the crowd/venue was right..

beccabear67 likes this.
  15. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

S.F. Sorrow with the bonus tracks (or LP and non-LP single sides of the time) is an absolute essential. I really didn't get into that one until maybe the third of fourth listen and it's up there with Forever Changes.

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Clear Light is another psychedelic gem, the same with many of the Donovan albums from this period

William Smart and Bob J like this.
  17. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

At the extreme freak folk end of psychedelic, the genre is far more to my liking and then the 1966-68 releases of Joe Boyd's Witchseason productions are at the top.

18. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

So good you can feel the hallucinations

[​IMG]

19. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Sounds great! How good is the audio quality on these? I looked up the one the fellow suggested above and it DOES look good, but a comment on Discogs said that it was one of the worst sounding albums ever, like 5th generation cassettes... :)

samthesham likes this.
  20. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident Thread Starter

On the extremely rare SOSF it culled from singles of local obscure bands such as
    The Mojo Men,The Vejtables and others.SQ on this gem is actually quite good.Of the others Acid Visions has the better sound but try to get the original B&W cover edition.As for the Pebbles LP the has something to be desired on a scale of 10 SQ is at best 6.These are all quite listenable and enjoyable IMO and I am extremely selective with my music.These are as I stated essential to any well thought out comprehensive 60s psychedelic music collection.At one point I had 50+ LP collections of 60s psychedelia and sold what I didnt consider essential these are the comps I kept.
    If you collect singles the 1 I strongly suggest seeking is a obscure local Detroit group called Spikedrivers-Strange Mysterious Sounds it can be heard&scene on You-Tube.Exellent psychedelia ala Jeff.Airplane.Happy hunting.Peace.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    latheofheaven likes this.
  21. latheofheaven

I'm not a big Stones fan, but I believe I have this one and if it is the VERY unique and different Psychedelic album by them that I have, then this is probably the only Stones album that I like all the way through. I remember thinking when I first heard it not long ago, I don't remember them ever doing anything Psychedelic... :)

William Smart likes this.
  22. latheofheaven

Thanks Bro! :righton:

In your opinion, what would be some of the better recorded Psychedelic Collections, even if the stuff is newer?

Do you mean this one:

Various - Acid Visions

Are the selections and sound pretty good on this one then?

Thanks! :tiphat:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  23. latheofheaven

Ah, I see your added comments, thanks! :D It honestly sounds like you are truly a real expert at this [​IMG] I will look for these! And, overall, in this particular area / Genre, I do agree with you that collections of singles seems like it would be a better way to go for a cross section of the best stuff...

24. samthesham

[Qwon't ="latheofheaven, post: 17683130, member: 73318"]Thanks Bro! :righton:

In your opinion, what would be some of the better recorded Psychedelic Collections, even if the stuff is newer?[/QUOTE]
    I wont lie I know nothing about contemporary psychedelia except from the 80s when there was a underground surge for the genre.
    I can strongly suggest these artists from that decade.
    1.The Nomads (Norwegian psych-punk) 5 stars
    Dream Syndicate Velvets meet Creedence psychedelia
    3.Plan 9( all great.start with Dealing with the Dead 5 stars.Can be found on Plan 9 web site.
    4.Hoo Doo Gurus&Lime Spiders from Australian psychedelia 4.5 stars.
    5.Rain Parade & True West(LA psychedelia 4.5 stars
    7.The Soft Boys & Robyn Hitchcock(together&solo) 5 stars
    This is most of what IMO is essential 80s psychedelia.Again the SQ is great on all of these recordings.Happy hunting.Peace.

Davmoco and latheofheaven like this.
  25. samthesham

I wont lie I know nothing about contemporary psychedelia except from the 80s when there was a underground surge for the genre.
    I can strongly suggest these artists from that decade.
    1.The Nomads (Norwegian psych-punk) 5 stars
    Dream Syndicate Velvets meet Creedence psychedelia
    3.Plan 9( all great.start with Dealing with the Dead 5 stars.Can be found on Plan 9 web site.
    4.Hoo Doo Gurus&Lime Spiders from Australian psychedelia 4.5 stars.
    5.Rain Parade & True West(LA psychedelia 4.5 stars
    7.The Soft Boys & Robyn Hitchcock(together&solo) 5 stars
    This is most of what IMO is essential 80s psychedelia.Again the SQ is great on all of these recordings.Happy hunting.Peace.[/QUOTE]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.