The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Borgia, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I would DEFINITELY be interested! Please post!

I've always though Greysmith did an excellent job in his book, although his solution for the 340 cipher seemed to be garbage -- "stare I eat a pill"?!

Dr. Funk likes this.
  2. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night Thread Starter

That's an amazing aspect of this case & the Ripper case as well; There are several good suspects who taken on their own, look as likely a suspect as you'd ever find. Like Arthur Leigh Allen. But wait, we have Ross Sullivan now. What about Lawrence Kane? There are other suspects that haven't been mentioned on the show as of yet. Each of them is a viable candidate to be the Z, but only one of them did it. Or maybe none of them. Could be the killer was never on the police radar.

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I also loved his book, but not sure about It's accuracy.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  4. Lownote30 and sirmikael like this.
  5. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Zodiac Killer Facts

Simon A and groundharp like this.
  6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Ok, I know this thread is just about the TV show "Hunt for the Zodiac Killer," but I want to throw out a question, since everyone participating is interested in the case in general and all of us seem to have at least a bit of knowledge about it. Ok, some might think this is ridiculous, but it occurred to me at some point and I can't come up with a good answer based on what I do know. Ok: do we absolutely know that the person who wrote and sent the Zodiac letters is actually the killer? I mean, we INFER that he is, but do we have actual evidence of it?

7. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

I know where he is. The shovel hasn't been cleaned off yet...

8. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I think the knowledge imparted in the letters was priviliged such that only the killer would have known the details.

painted8 and Borgia like this.
  9. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

They keep teasing in the trailers that they cracked the z340 cipher. I guess we have to wait for episode 5 to find out whether they deliver on that tease -- or if it ends up being another "al capone's vault" type of deal.

10. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Michael Butterfield is one of the most reliable people on this case. He was a consultant on Fincher's ZODIAC which is an absolute masterpiece, of course.

This poor case. It will never be solved to the satisfaction of some because they have so much invested in keeping it going (Tom Voight).

There's this fellow Thomas Horan that has a theory that the whole thing was a hoax. That there was no "Zodiac Killer", and that the murders were robberies gone wrong or drug killings that had nothing to do with each other. The letters were written by someone perpetrating a fun hoax. That theory sort of falls apart when it comes to the bit of Paul Stine's shirt...unless you believe that the person writing the letters was actually a police officer (Hal Snook). It's a bit of a crazy theory that doesn't stand up to scrutiny but then again, none of the others do either really.

The most maddening part of this case is the seeming randomness of the murders.

My case of obsession is EAR/ONS/GSK. CNN is going to air a multi-part documentary about that case, entitled Unmasking a Killer, in 2018. Sorry to threadcrap.

Simon A, JFS3, painted8 and 2 others like this.
  11. Jason Manley

Zodiac Killer: Detectives hope DNA will unlock murderer's ID at last

Kane has been one of those suspects that has been around for a long time. Ross Sullivan has only emerged in recent years. Kane had been mentioned by this detective Harvey Hines who was absolutely 100% positive he was the guy. This is as far back as like the early 1990s, heck maybe even earlier.

Here's an old broadcast with Hines naming Kane.

I hope this is finally solved.

Borgia likes this.
  12. Borgia

Like someone mentioned above, the killer cut a piece of cab driver Paul Stine's bloody shirt collar & sent it with a letter, so I don't think there is much doubt the actual killer was the letter writer.
    The thing about the codes, we assume the writer of the letters was actually communicating something, but some of the codes may be absolute gibberish meant to confound authorities as well as television audiences 50 years later.

Tim S and Jason Manley like this.
  13. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Thank you for that. I always thought that Greysmith was too fixated on A. Allen, and I wasn't convinced that he was the best suspect, although it seemed he deserved to be on a short list. But I never knew that Greysmith fudged the facts to make Allen fit. That's definitely not kosher!

Grunge Master likes this.
  14. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

As someone who's read up a lot on the search for the Zodiac, I am not too impressed with this series. They are "discovering" things that people online have already found or pointed out (such as the Albany letter that some think was from the Zodiac). The most glaring error was when they claimed that a recent photo of a man was suspect Lawrence Kane, when in fact it was Dean Ferrin, a relative of one of the victims.

Episode 3 of 5: "The Hunt for the Zodiac Killer" discussion - Page 3 - Zodiackiller.com Discussion Forum

Dr. Funk likes this.
  15. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Really looking forward to the late Michelle McNamara's book about the EAR/ONS/GSK!

Simon A and Jason Manley like this.
  16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I agree. And they sure are dragging out what little they have.

Toby Benjamin and Dudley Morris like this.
  17. Jason Manley

Ditto!

18. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Second this as well.

As for the case, I never thought that the Bates/Riverside murder was the work of The Zodiac, just that he claimed credit for it. However, the Domingos/Edwards killings from 1963 have the The Zodiac's fingerprints all over it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Jason Manley likes this.
  19. What's the general consensus on why the Zodiac Killer stopped his murder spree? He seemed really invested in getting attention and then he just disappears from the public radar.

20. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Supposedly the guys on the show cracked the z340 cipher. They teased this in this week's episode. Supposedly, from a brief screen capture shown, the message states:

"Here it is: I kill both night and day. I live by the gun barel aim. So quit wishing for game to be over pigis. Ma wrist ni locks ? Now angry dangerous I wont change any of game. Richard M Nikson"

[​IMG]

21. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Be interesting to see what Butterfield and the cipher experts make of this new solution, considering all others put forth over the years have been debunked for one reason or another (improper techniques, confirmation bias, etc):

Zodiac Killer Ciphers – Can you help solve the codes?

22. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

So in this uncrackable cipher, an L = L, an I = I, a D = D, a backwards K = K, and a Y = Y. But not all of the time. While I understand that in a cipher the key can change at intervals, I'm not sure simply setting your mind to think like a civilian cipher-writer would allow you to just "see" all of that. Will be interesting to see how well received this solution is by other cipher experts.

Has Carmel written any more poems? LOL

Toby Benjamin likes this.
  23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I still am enjoying the show - I just have to ignore the manufactured drama and I laugh or roll my eyes here and there. I understand the network and producers feel they have to do this kind of thing to retain viewers and to try to make the program more exciting.

As far as solving the cypher, it will be interesting to watch, but I don't figure that if anyone solved it, the results would first be announced on a Tuesday night cable channel.

Toby Benjamin and sirmikael like this.
  24. Borgia

If I remember correctly from the Graysmith book, he & probably the police as well, had two theories; Zodiac may have been caught for some different crime and institutionalized in either a mental hospital or a prison for a period of time.
    He may have died.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  25. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

This thread turned me onto the series which has been mostly good. Thanks. I'm annoyed with how they kept teasing by showing segments of dogs barking when scouting the bomb location for a school bus and how it ultimately amounts to nothing.

The real mystery is, can't the guy in charge of the code cracking with the cracked glass iPhone afford a new one or at least a screen replacement?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.