Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

And the utterly odious conditions that Disney are demanding of theater owners to show The Last Jedi betray what it's really all about for the Mouse House... greedy bastards (and I'm as big of a capitalist as you can get, but I also have morals, something that was seemingly buried with Uncle Walt it would appear, judging by the current regime running that place)... it's actually making me question whether I'll even pay good money to go see it next month.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

These are not going to be episodes 10-12, they’re an entirely separate story.

Encuentro likes this.
  3. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

His breathing was enough.

4. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I hear you and I'm completely on board with your disgust. They have more problems than just shaking down theater operators, though. ESPN is hemorrhaging money, for one. Maybe they figure they can stem that problem and others by doing this. Either way, it's a bit unseemly.

Vidiot and The Hermit like this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Well, that lifting a Rebel up by his neck, killing him and throwing against the wall. When Vader enters, we see him for all of ten seconds. The next time we see him, it’s with his hand wrapped around a Rebel’s throat. Kylo Ren didn’t immediately start killing people either. He questions Lor San Tekka before killing him.

6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Another new spot. "Resist it,Rey!"

Bowie Fett and Lownote30 like this.
  7. Jason Manley

artfromtex, BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  8. Jason Manley

9. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

She's so damn cute!

10. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Bowie Fett likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It is troubling that Disney is saddling theater owners with such onerous conditions:

Disney is reportedly, per the Wall Street Journal, demanding a 65% cut of The Last Jedi‘s domestic ticket sales along with a four-week hold in each venue’s largest auditorium and a 5% B.O. penalty to any theater owner who breaks any part of the contract including taking the film off-screen.

Disney’s Lofty Exhibition Terms For ‘The Last Jedi’: It’s Worth It, For The Popcorn Alone

Unfortunately, this is a "He Who Has the Gold, Makes the Rules" deal.

But The Force Awakens did add $2.068 billion dollars to Disney's bank account, so there's that.

13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The Force Awakens made $2.068 billion worldwide but that's not Disney's net profit.

Here... No. 1 ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ – 2015 Most Valuable Movie Blockbuster Tournament

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Quoting from Wikipedia -- take it up with them.

15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I don't have to. That's where I found the information. "Moreover, Mike Fleming of Deadline.com argued that the movie was the "most valuable movie" of the year, with "the net profit to Disney an astounding $923M, and the Cash on Cash Return twice that of any other film [released in 2016], at 2.3"

It links you to the above article (previous comment).
    Commercial analysis: Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Wikipedia

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]

I think we can agree it made a huge amount of money, despite getting some criticisms from fans. From any perspective, The Force Awakens was a very, very, very successful film. As I said when it first opened, "I'm just relieved it's not nearly as bad as Lucas' terrible prequels."

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2017
    bru87tr and Stratoblaster like this.
  17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

You're missing the point. $2.068 billion did not go into Disney's bank account. That's not how it works. Disney made $923 million. That's the difference between gross and net.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2017
  18. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

What’s the difference between gross and net budget? Marketing included in gross, only production in net? Or is it to do with rebates or chargebacks paid back to the studio from theaters for marketing or something? I’ve never seen budgets broken down/stated that way. I’ve seen production and marketing broken out but not “gross”/“net” budget. (i.e., talking specifically to the budget, i.e., not meaning gross box office vs. net profit).

19. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Some countries and states apply tax incentives and government rebates when filming on their territory, so the studios receive some money back. The gross budget is the actual cost of the movie.

20. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

Yea, can't argue with that bottom line...:yikes:

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And in truth, I remember the movie getting fairly positive reviews. The worst I think anybody can say about Abrams' film is that it's derivative and a little too on-the-nose as another take on Episode 4, some of which was by design. But I enjoyed the new characters and I think there was enough of a new spin for it to work for me. I'd call it "good but not great," and Good is OK.

Stratoblaster and ohnothimagen like this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a long, long conversation.

How Hollywood Accounting Can Make a $450 Million Movie 'Unprofitable'

"Defined Gross Profit" has several different meanings, as shown in this Harry Potter P&L sheet:

[​IMG]
    I know of cases where TV shows never went into profit because the studio tied other expenses to the show, basically making a successful show pay for the losses of an unprofitable show. Joe Straczynski of Babylon 5 has lamented that his show never made a profit because of some sneaky contract maneuvering like that. How the studios "define" gross expenses, gross profit, and net profit has resulted in many, many lawsuits over the years. The cost of P&A (prints & advertising) has also risen drastically; even a small movie often requires $10M or more to advertise, which more than their actual budgets.

The key is to get a percentage of the movie gross from the first day of release, or as is sometimes called "from the unadjusted rolling gross from dollar one." If you could get just 1%, and the movie made $1,500,000,000, then you would have $15M. Generally, the percentage deals change at different times, so you might get 0% in the beginning, 1% after the movie hit $500M, then 2% after the movie hit $1 billion.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  23. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Ah, thanks

24. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Avoiding spoilers?

The social media embargo for The Last Jedi ends Saturday, December 9 at 9:30pm PST, following the film’s world premiere.

SamS likes this.
  25. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Bowie Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.