Cartridge recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by toolapcblack, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toolapcblack

toolapcblack Member Thread Starter

Hi all first post so be gentle lol
    i have been spinning my vinyl on a Music Hall mmf 5.1 for many years and feel that it maybe time for a new cartridge, currently fitted with the one that was installed at the time of purchase a Goldring 2400.
    any owners out there had any experience with certain carts? it is currently running through a Parasound Zphono V2(it can do mm/mc) into a Vincent integrated into some UsherX719s & love dynamic metal/prog

would happily spend up to £500(say $700), but would also consider some above and below.

thanks
    j

2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Here are my suggestions based on your phono stage input sensitivity:
    Ortofon 2M Black MM - $755
    Excel Sound Corporation Hana SH MC - $750.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  3. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Were you happy with the Goldring? If you were, and it's worn out, I'd just recommend a new stylus — pull the old one off, put the new one on and you're good to go. Simplest solution for sure.

If you weren't happy with it — what are you looking for? More bass? More detail?

Some thoughts —
    I had an Ortofon 2m Blue for a while - it was a very dynamic cartridge —I'd imagine the Bronze or Black would make you happy if you're into metal/prog and with a little hunting I bet you can find the Black for under $700 USD. Blue worked well with the arm on my Pro-ject table, should be a nice match with your MMF 5.1.

I picked up a DV20X2L slightly used within your budget a few years ago and am using that in my main system. I can't imagine you can find a better cartridge under $800 USD.

4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I had the Goldring Eroica H on a MMF-5 for a while and really enjoyed it. If the prices are any indication, the Eroica is a lateral move from the 2400, but perhaps a good opportunity to try a low output MC with the Eroica LX.

Rickchick and MattyW like this.
  5. MattyW

MattyW Forum Resident

The Goldring Eroica LX is incredible value for money. I don't know of any other LOMC in its price range uses neodymium magnets or has a Fritz Geiger II tip. Quite incredible really.

Heckto35 and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  6. Bob_in_OKC

At UK prices, Goldring cartridges are a relative bargain among cartridges with comparable styli and quality reputation.

7. toolapcblack

Hi all many thanks for the replies.
    As i already have a Goldring fitted is fitting a MC Goldring Eroica LX on it be easier for a novice like me(never swapped a cart before)? is it just a plug and play? conversely would fitting a Ortofon be more difficult? Would that need a housing change on the arm? I noticed some are listed as ORTOFON 2M BLACK PnP NEEDLE MM COMPLETE SHELL, would that be required in the case of the Ortofon?
    thanks J

8. Bob_in_OKC

You can ignore the models that are the complete cartridge and head shell integrated. Ortofon has a wide array of cartridges that mount in the conventional way - no more and no less difficult or compatible with your tonearm. I would avoid cartridges that are heavier than your current Goldring, unless there’s a heavier counterweight available for your tonearm. The range of cartridge weight the Pro-Ject counterweights accommodate is somewhat narrow. The only plug and play solution as I see it is a replacement stylus. Mounting and aligning a new cartridge is a bit of a challenging task for a beginner.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Pro-ject does make a 75g counterweight for heavier cartridges— I am using one to accommodate an AT150MLX on my Project Xpression iii (8.6 arm, but i think either the stub is the same on the 9 arm or they make a heavy counterweight for that arm as well.)

But it's a good skill to learn! I changed out the cartridge 3 or 4 times on my Xpression when I was getting back into vinyl a while ago with absolutely zero experience before hand. The only real annoying part was the really flimsy leads on the Project arm. Go slow, take your time...don't have any coffee before you start (or more then say, 3 beers). There are plenty of good video tutorials and written tutorials online. After you swap one or two times you'll feel like a pro.

patient_ot, Rickchick and Shiver like this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

There are some lower cost cartridges using neodymium magnets (helps to keep the weight down) and with Shibata-derived line contact cuts on the stylus (such as the Audio Technica AT33PTG/II at around $500, which also has a nice tapered boron cantilever), not sure how many of the stylus come from Fritz Geiger (I think Benz Micro uses them too), and that profile may be unique to Goldring. Does look like a nice cartridge, there's lot of nice ones in that $750 range now.

MattyW likes this.
  11. MattyW

MattyW Forum Resident

Interesting, I didn't know that about the AT33PTG/II. Seeing as it technically has a better cantilever also though a slightly less advanced diamond profile it's pretty well impossible to tell which is better.

The Fritz Geiger II is their diamond for budget cartridges with a little more mass than a Fritz Geiger Signature which is about as good as it gets. Still a step up from a shibata though.

Having said that I'm not a fan of Benz Micro. I've an MC3 here which as far as I can tell doesn't deserve it's reputation. The old Fidelity Research LOMC's sound far better.

12. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

“I picked up a DV20X2L slightly used within your budget a few years ago and am using that in my main system. I can't imagine you can find a better cartridge under $800 USD”

this

Rickchick likes this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, I'm no expert on all the stylus profiles, the manufacturers all seem to have their own variations of the line contact shape now, and I really have no idea most of the time who supplies them, or what sets one apart from the other, many of the Japanese probably use Namiki, so a Fritz Gyger reference doesn't mean much to me (and I'm not sure Fritz Gyger is even still in business). I do love the modern Benz Micro designs, especially the Wood SL, and they call theirs MicroRidge now. That MC3 is a pretty old design, is that from the mid 80s? Never heard one myself, my LOMC experience only goes back to mid 90s.

Shiver likes this.
  14. MattyW

MattyW Forum Resident

After extended listening + rips and listening back through headphones, I'm sad to say that my Philips GP922 with replacement boron cantilever + FGS tip is the better cart. Slightly more detailed and better treble and bass extension. The big advantage however is that it has a real "presence" which is lacking in the ART9..... I think it's time for me to stop chasing improvements and just enjoy the music.

15. MattyW

MattyW Forum Resident

Fark, comparing the Philips GP922 to the ART9 I realised something. The ART9 has every bit as much punch as the Philips.... It just sounds like it has less as it's producing more detail and texture which "softens" the sound. I take back what I said before about the Philips being the better cart.

16. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

Hey, I cannot help with a cartridge recommendation, I do have a question for you. I have some Usher floorstanders that may have the same drivers as your speakers. Did you listen to different amps and what model Vincent are you using. I may bring home a SV-236 MK and SV-500 to try out.

I did not see that I could start a conversation ( private message ) clicking on your user name.

17. MattyW

MattyW Forum Resident

Listened to some comparison rips using headphones and yes, the ART9 is definitely better than the GP922. More detailed and nuanced and more punch where it's needed. Channel separation is pretty much the same. I'm beginning to get plenty of wow moments with this cart.

If there is a negative it's that the cartridge is utterly unforgiving of worn or dirty vinyl. I've identified a few used pressings which are crackly on the inner grooves due to it. I can live with it though considering the strengths of the cart

18. toolapcblack

hi tommy tune its a Vincent SV-129 to answer your question, It really makes the Ushers sing previously I was using a High end T+A pre amp and bi-amped using 2 roksan Caspian M1 series power amps.

I actually only purchased the Vincent as It was going cheap(remote was missing) and for an integrated I thought it would never compete with the set up I had .......how wrong I was.

I also think it is not rated more than 80w per channel(in fact it may be 50w ...cannot remember) but in use I struggle to get the volume past about 1, its so loud

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.