The remix is so good I can’t listen to the original anymore. Any examples?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Nov 19, 2017.

1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Likewise - Nine Inch Nails' "The Art Of Self Destruction". The original "Mr. Self Destruct" does nothing for me.

Listening to Parts One, Two and Three one after another (Part Three was only on the UK version of FTDS) is great. The "Final" version is unnecessary, though.

2. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

too many to name.

will start with:
    new order - the perfect kiss

simple minds - up on the catwalk

duran duran - my own way

erasure - pretty much all their songs

frankie goes to hollywood - two tribes and warriors of the wastelands

go west - we close our eyes and call me

living in a box - living in a box

808 state - cubik

pet shop boys - almost all their early songs up to the 90s or so

tears for fears - shout and mothers talk

ultravox - white china

later

fallbreaks, MikeManaic61 and c-eling like this.
  3. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Pepper deluxe remix

mando_dan likes this.
  4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I've listened to the original version of Coldcut's Autumn Leaves maybe once or twice. There's a reason why Mixmaster Morris' remix became an iconic ambient/chillout song.

Demolition Man and c-eling like this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Or it's a reaction to the hyperbole of the original post. Seriously, there are people who can't go back and listen to the original mix of songs/albums that they loved for decades (despite the flaws) because of a shiny new remix? Personally, I want the best sounding version of the original mix, warts and all, because I tend to view music as being of it's era. I've got a few remixed albums, and will listen to them as a novelty (especially if multichannel has been included), but they are never my go to versions.

Also remixing ≠ remastering.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Can't is hyperbole. But won't isn't.

I generally prefer original mixes, but that isn't universal. I will likely never listen to the original Live At Leeds again other than for academic purposes.

bobloblaw and 2trackmind like this.
  7. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I will only listen if someone does a version that mixes Jethro Tull out entirely. :hide:

FJFP and mando_dan like this.
  8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Mmmm... have to disagree with you there. In my mind, losing the guitar on Under My Thumb was not an improvement...

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That CD is definitely a mixed bag. Even on Naked Eye: the remix is an improvement but it is bathed in noise reduction.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I find I listen to the original mixes more. At least Beatles wise.

11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I always liked the 7" remix. I think that was the version used in the video as opposed to the one on the radio, but I may be mistaken on that.

EDIT: On the other hand, maybe I have this one confused with Love Is The Seventh Wave. It's been a long time since I've looked at the 45s...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Piiijiii likes this.
  12. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

That's certainly a valid viewpoint and to some degree I agree. You do tend to fall in love with what you heard first, no doubt, and that can be irrevocable, a personal memory and as you said, a moment in time.

A lot of the music I listen to is old and I have no oredeliction to a certain mix or master. For exmple, I never owned a Beatles album until I got the CDs in high school, the now reviled Marin mixes for the first four. They sounded and still sound dine to my ears. On balance, older folks tend to hate them. Point being that our preferences are almost never the result of an unbiased choice made solely on merits.

Do want to hear the album that sounds better or the album that's etched into memory? There isn't a right answer.

Equating remixing and remastering is a very valid comparison. Why isn't it? Both a remix and a remaster fundamentally alter the we hear and interpret music. Remastering is done to add space, bring out buried vocals, make drums sound punchier, etc. It's fundamentally altering the sound in a way that someone thinks is an improvement. Same as a remix. Take it or leave it!

Bytor Snowdog likes this.
  13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

James Gang "Rides Again" (remaster) Mofi
    T. Rex "Electric Warrior" (remaster) Kevin Gray

14. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Lene Lovich's album Stateless was soon remixed and partially re-recorded after first release.

It's the re-recorded/remix that was widely available and known in most of the world.

A year or so ago I received an original LP - I think they made the right choice. The first version has charms, - a bit rough and ready, though the remixing seems to be more in harmony with the album.

The North American version is different again - emphasising the treatments a little more.

Lene Lovich - Stateless

15. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

the Original is also great of course, but in this instance I like the remix more

Dee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart (Gigamesh Remix)

c-eling likes this.
  16. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

same goes for Annie - Chewing Gum (Mylo Remix)

slop101 likes this.
  17. Zomvid

Zomvid Delicate Genius

It’s not an album, but I do like the remixed version of The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole. I still wish they could have done the whole album.

18. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

When this was first played on radio this was the mix they used. I was sold. Thought it was a bold move of Prince to go this way But when it finally came out as a single properly, I was somewhat disappointed in the standard version. The house version still kicks ass....

kpa272 likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"I Can Smell Your Thoughts" by the Leather Nun, the remix from the 12" (also on "Force Of Habit") is superior to the original from "Lust Games":righton:

20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

No, it is definitely If You Love Somebody Set Them Free. I have the 45 with the "Special Dance Mix", remixed by Jellybean Benitez and edited down to 4:16.

It's got more "space" than the original mix, but edits out the fluff...

21. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

LIVING DEATH - Vengeance Of Hell

A nice example that remix can save a very bad original recording / mix.

22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Code 64-Guardian (Bariuz Remix), 2007

23. c-eling

Moby-Dream About Me (MHC Extended Remix), 2005

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I much prefer the 1995 remix of The Who Sell Out, but not to the extent that I can't listen to the original.

The recent remix (2014) of Status Quo's Rockin' All Over The World album by John Eden is far better than the original and I haven't played the original since I got it. I don't doubt I'd still enjoy it if I did.

Stephen Wilson's Jethro Tull Aqualung remix is great. I gave away my original UK vinyl when I got that. It wasn't in great condition though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  25. c-eling

New Order-World (Perfecto Edit), 1993