Van Halen: Women and Children First (1980) Song by Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Thanks for that. I wonder if Dave changed the lyrics when he sang them? That lyric sheet has a couple words that were eventually changed (e.g., "big disgrace" to "darn disgrace").

2. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

People can’t discount “Judgement Day” - it destroys. That being said, I guess I’m a bigger fan of the Sammy days than I initially realized - I love the cheese rock sounds of “Top of the World,” “Dream is Over” (not “Dreams” - that blows ass), “Amsterdam,” “Spanked,” “Mine All Mine,” “AFU” and their quasi-cover of “One Way to Rock.”

But yes, they definitely devolved into dad rock once Red hit the scene. Oh well.

3. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

yeah Judgement Day does own all - just great all the way through, especially love the little melody that Eddie bookends his solo with.

Johns did a great job of capturing a fat sound on Carnal Knowledge - only Fairbarn's soundstage on 1995's Balance even comes close -- 5150 and oU812 so tinny and brittle/trebly

Matthew Tate, npgchris and Cooks420 like this.
  4. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

As well as Anthony's amazing backing vocals at the end of the song. Best voice in VH strikes again!!

5. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

The Roth years

DrBeatle, Matthew Tate and Murph like this.
  6. ian christopher

And Anthony brought it LIVE - every time I saw them (4 times on the Balance tour, once on the VHIII tour)

Matthew Tate, npgchris and Cooks420 like this.
  7. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

It's said in the past tense...and I don't think it hurt her feeling's any!

8. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

I’m sure. I promised myself I’d only see VH live if MA was back in the band, if even for a few songs. Wolfgang is exceptional, but, he’s not MA.

9. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Sounds kinda like me, other than the fact that I haven't heard ADKOT. I enjoyed 5150 for what it was (arena- and radio-friendly rock; not great but an enjoyable summer album), and bought OU812 when it was released. I only listened to it 2 or 3 times, and put it away for good. Haven't heard a VH album since. I must admit, with the passage of time I'm curious to hear Van Halen III. I didn't really care about it at the time.

Matthew Tate and ian christopher like this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I curious about III too but I’ve heard it was terrible and, honestly, I don’t have the time or inclination to waste precious time on music that doesn’t interest me much.

I heard ADKOT once on a drive from New Mexico to Texas and it was kind of in one ear and out the other. I don’t remember much of it.

5150 has its charms in terms of nostalgia but I don’t care to hear it ever again.

Matthew Tate and npgchris like this.
  11. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I personally would be down for any of them! The two you have listed would probably be the top 2, I suppose. When I looked at the track listings for all of their albums a little while ago, I realized I am way more familiar with 1984 than I remembered. There were only 2 tracks that I wasn't familiar with by title. That album was so ubiquitous when it was new there was no getting away from it. I still remember (nearly) all of those songs! It was a mainstay of the college dorms I was living in at the time. Without having heard the entirety of the first 6 albums, I'd be surprised if 1984 wasn't my least favorite of the bunch, based on my memories of it.

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  12. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

I remember hearing and reading both good and bad about III. I think the naysayers greatly outnumber those who champion it, but I knew a huge VH fan back then who felt it was underappreciated. (Whatever that's worth).

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  13. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

You should at least try the title track one of these days - that has some serious, serious rhythm guitar playing on it.

14. GodShifter

I don’t have great recall of 1984 outside of the popular songs. I didn’t like it that much, but if I listened to it now I might.

Let’s do II.

I think I’m also going to do either a Saxon or Venom song by song album. Anyone have interest in that? Maybe Motörhead or Thin Lizzy?

Is this thing on?

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Fair Warning

16. GodShifter

Yeah, that’d be a good one. We’ll do that or II. FW might be more interesting.

Thinking...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Why not do both, one at a time of course

Matthew Tate and npgchris like this.
  18. ian christopher

Pretty much every note that Eddie plays on 5150 (title track) gives me them good goosefleshes!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. ian christopher

You And Your Blues (AKDOT) is a helluva tune - fantastic build up to the chorus and DLR is in his zone vocally.

not much on the rest of the album really hit me, and to be fair I only gave AKDOT about 5 listens. Too much damn music in my collection, always pushes out stuff that should get more listens.

Matthew Tate and Oliver like this.
  20. Combination

I like that song more than anything on 1984!

Matthew Tate and ian christopher like this.
  21. Combination

I think it's got to be Fair Warning. It's normally the one record that people dare to put above the first album.

dadonred, GodShifter and Oliver like this.
  22. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

II would be fun. I don't know if I am remembering this right but I think even as early as II DLR and the band were grating on each other. Seems to me that the original mix on that album has DLR on one side and Eddie's guitar on the other, separated left and right, because Eddie didn't want Dave's voice smack in the middle and floating over all his notes.

Also, Thin Lizzy would be fun.

Matthew Tate, GodShifter and npgchris like this.
  23. ian christopher

fully agreed.

24. ian christopher

Lizzy would be wonderful for me, as I've finally purchased the first 2 and last 2 Lizzy studio records (and love all 4 of them)

npgchris likes this.
  25. ian christopher

it reached a flashpoint during the photo shoots for Women And Children First

The Private Photo Shoot that Sparked a War Inside Van Halen

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.