Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

One in ten copies will have it on there, but there will be no way of ascertaining which copies, so you will just have to keep buying until you find one. :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yea....I hear what you mean. That should have never seen the light of day.

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  3. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

They could have included this song for that purpose..

Hep Alien, footlooseman and hodgo like this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Lover Man AGAIN?!

Great googly moogly!

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I always liked this version of "Cherokee Mist" a lot. Not sure why it doesn't seem popular, guess the constant feedback effects can be a turn-off.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

too many weird and odd things about this one.

2 songs with stephen stills, stills does lead vocals....why was this not on stills box set instead of that snippet of an instrumental that was.

and when the stills box came out there were reports that it was the only thing salvageable from the tapes, now all of a sudden, 2 more songs.

i just don;t know anymore when it comes to hendrix, i just don;t know.

7. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

We shall see.

8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The hype is typical of Kramer and EH with the overwrought descriptions and fast-talking and I defer to the more knowledgeable of the Hendrix experts here about what's really 'new', but I have the Target editions of VoN and PH&A and they were fun to listen to, so I'm game.
    It's not like they are asking us to buy a SooperDooperDeluxe Edition just to hear a few scraps.
    Easily worth 12 bucks.....cheesy cover and all.

Matthew Tate and jhm like this.
  9. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually hear it - but this looks like a real barrel scraping exercise and to market that as an album is a bit ****. This stuff should have been on a previous boxset. Waiting for them to release more stuff from the '69 Olympic Studio sessions. And the Redding-penned, Mitchell-sung Dance.

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what I posted earlier when I saw the album title.

Dodoz and Hep Alien like this.
  11. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Very excited for the Joni cover with Stills! Gotta get this one. :)

Aurora and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

[​IMG]

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Wasn't that painting based on a photograph?

My favorite Jimi album covers actually stem from Douglas years: Concerts and Blues!

Purple Jim likes this.
  14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I'd assume because the one thing that came out on the Stills box was recorded at a Stills session, and therefore is owned by Atlantic who he was signed to at the time of recording - probably done in the same session(s) in which Jimi played guitar on 'Old Times Good Times' which appeared on Stills' first solo album.

Both of these upcoming Stills tracks appear to have been recorded while Stills was visiting Hendrix recording sessions, the tapes of which are now all owned by EH.

They could go the extra step of cross licensing to release EH/Sony owned stuff on Atlantic and Atlantic stuff on EH/Sony, but clearly they are not doing that. So anything that comes out on a Stills archive release would have most likely been recorded in the UK in early 1970 during sessions for Stills first solo album, and anything that comes out on a Hendrix release would have been recorded in the US in 68/69 while Stills was hanging out at Hendrix sessions. How much is there in total with Stills and Hendrix playing together? - quite a bit actually, and probably enough for a full album, but the vast majority are Hendrix songs, sung by Hendrix, recorded at Hendrix sessions, and with Stills playing bass (or less often keyboards). Counting what came out on Stills' box and previous EH releases as well as this new one, they've released at least half an album's worth already.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I think the cover is very appropriate. A Frankensteined cover for Frankensteined recordings.

Hep Alien and SkeletonPete like this.
  16. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Let me say after reading all the comments forget this release. They have nothing to offer the man is gone.

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

About ten years ago, Stills and/or EH said he had a lot of potentially releasable material on his tapes, perhaps a CD's worth. Like you said, then he only released one track on his box set (renamed it and removed the vocals) and said little was salvageable. Yet, here are some additional performances. An odd set of circumstances, but at least some more Stills/Hendrix will be released, even if the performances end up being a bit underwhelming.

EH's focus on these single disc compilations limits what they can do, and also forces their hand so-to-speak when it comes to embellishing the music so they can craft commercial albums made from musical scraps and fragments. This so-called "trilogy" could have been produced in a much more compelling manner had EH/Sony issued this material as part of a box set -- it may not have sounded as disjointed. I am happy to hear more music from the vault, but I do not expect this to be a rewarding compilation -- like with the last two, I will extract the highlights and add them to my master Hendrix playlist of archival tracks.

18. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Link ?

19. Stefan Sigurdsson

Stefan Sigurdsson Forum Resident

Hasn't the vault be drained? Anything left after this release?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

What's in poor taste here (as with Valleys Of Neptune and PH&A) is the effort made to package all these left overs as "albums". It might be fun for Janie & Co. to participate in creating this stuff but it tricks the casual punter and disappoints the hardcore fans.
    At the same time, it's all very clever and it keeps pushing Jimi into the media limelight, with what seems to be an eternal flow of "new" music. Hendrix lives.

21. Here you go. Good luck.

22. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Yikes. If that's an indication of what's on this release, it's going to be pretty dire indeed.

Darrin L. likes this.
  23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. Were you able to sit through the whole thing?

24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It actually started life as a song called "Keep On Groovin'" (in 1969 I believe) that eventually sort of merged with "Midnight Lightning". Early stabs at "Midnight Lightning" didn't share any of the same lyrics, but as JimSpark noted, by 1970, Jimi folded in some of the "Keep On Groovin'" lyrics into "Midnight Lightning". I believe at Berkeley '70 he used the "Keep On Groovin'" lyrics during Voodoo Chile (Slight Return). He was clearly had ideas for this lyric section but kept experimenting with where to use it.

I grabbed these lyrics online. Jimi basically sang something like the following:

Gotta keep on movin'
    Gotta keep on movin'
    To understand both sides of the sky
    you gotta keep on groovin' yeah,
    Good groovin'
    'Cause you got your God and so do I
    We gotta keep on lovin'
    Good, good, good, lovin'
    Make love on my dyin' bed
    We gotta stop smokin', stop, stop,
    I mean cigarette smokin'
    Or else I cough myself to death
    And to make love to you baby,
    I wouldn't even have the breath

25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Kramer doesn't master, he just mixes. I hope it's Grundman from this point forward with the Hendrix catalog! The fact that he's doing the upcoming Are You Experienced and Axis Bold As Love SACDs (as well as the UHQR Axis Mono & Stereo LPs) tell me he's "their guy", at least for the time being.

E.Baba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.