Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" digital recording to MFSL 45 RPM One-Step vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyndcookie, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the two first 1 step releases. Fantastic sound and fantastic music.

I had big hopes for Fagan even though I was not a big fan of the album. It sounds great but not the same wow factor as with the first two releases. And the sound doesn’t make the album itself more exciting.

Fagan is a boring choice for a 1 step release IMO.

And now I read that Stevie snooze is up next. Why not release a real authentic blues album instead? Such a boring choice.

I’m 44 years old. I don’t follow all new trends in music anymore. I’m old. But in the audiophile world I feel young again because so many of the releases are dated. Not talking about jazz but rock/blues/soul. Yes there are some interesting 60’s rock releases and Pure Pleasure/Speakers Corner have released quite a lot of essential blues/soul. Timeless stuff. But you have to realise, a lot of the 70’s/80’s stuff is so dated and I believe they only appeal to people who were in the teens/early twenties at the time. The nostalgia factor kicks in.

The audiophile labels are in desperate need of new young fresh ears.

2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Sorry if it’s been mentioned but what SRV title do they plan to do? I really think the AP 45 box has me covered but I would be curious about a One Step I must admit.

3. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Texas Flood - I'm in, it will kick butt

4. Andy Pandy

It was stupid of me to use the word authentic and I regret that. Maybe Stevie was important at the time in order to create new interest in the blues genre, but today... I’m sure he’s an excellent guitar player. But for me blues is not about virtuosity.

5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

So you believe that history will not look fondly upon Stevie Ray Vaughn as a blues artist? Interesting opinion. But why do you feel that? There's no right or wrong here, I'm just curious as to why you feel like that. Please give us some reasons for your beliefs.

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I would think (actually I know) equipment makes quite a difference to what you are hearing in terms of sound quality rather than how good the music is. That's just logical common sense and not hi-fi snobbery.

7. Andy Pandy

IMO he didn’t do anything to bring the blues genre forward. I just don’t understand the purpose of listening to him playing covers and not very original own songs. Give me Hooker, Burnside, Kimbrough, Spann, Waters, Rev Gary Davis, Jon Spencer, Jeffrey Evans etc etc. Stevie Ray doesn’t do it for me. But that is only my opinion of course. I guess I just want my blues rawer. :)

Sentient(Jæ)Ant and Synthfreek like this.
  8. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Raw enough for you? ;)

[​IMG]

Andy Pandy likes this.
  9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Not audiophile enough ;)

ti-triodes likes this.
  10. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Thank you for unlocking the mystery behind the term "smile EQs". I See it all the time and had no clue what folks were talking about. Now I understand.

AnalogJ likes this.
  11. “Smile EQ” means that the bass and treble are boosted in relation to the midrange, which is flat or depressed. If you had a graphic equalizer, the curve of the EQ settings would look like a smile. It is pretty dreadful sounding.

12. ctbarker32

ctbarker32 Forum Resident

This Nightfly release is a disaster. I ordered my copy through Amazon LLC back in September. Others have commented they ordered through other vendors such as Elusive Disc. Some have commented that it was obvious to only order direct from MoFi? No it wasn't. MoFi never posted public information on their website stating they never intended to fulfill orders to outside vendors. I just got off the phone with an angry woman at MoFi trying to determine if any outside vendor orders were fulfilled. She obfuscated and said that MoFi told all vendors that there would be limited availability. MoFi was controlling things and should have only taken direct orders upfront. By accepting outside orders they gave the wrong message that they would fulfill outside orders. They misled their customers and I'd like to see an apology from them that they acknowledge this screw up and that from this time forward they will only accept direct orders for specialty items. Their lack of honesty and acknowledgement is more irritating than the fact I will not receive my copy.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  13. If that is indeed the case, it’s totally ridiculous.

Has anyone who purchased from a vendor other than Music Direct or MoFi received their order?

14. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

I'm surprised they chose Texas Flood as the SRV album to do. It's a killer record but Couldn't Stand The Weather is the real standout from a sound quality perspective. The AP 45 is pretty amazing but it would be interesting to hear what they could achieve with the one step process!

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I can understand your frustration, but from the first UDS1 - Santana - it became clear (if you followed this forum) that all UDS1 issues should only be ordered from Music Direct or Mofi regardless if they are listed for sale anywhere else. Realize that Mofi is not accepting order from outside vendors, those vendors are with the hope of receiving some stock to sell. I could agree, though, that if Mofi and Music Direct know that most if not all outside vendors have no real chance of getting product, they should not offer the item to anyone else, and in turn ONLY sell the product through their own website (i.e., Music Direct/Mofi).

Live and learn, yet I could understand your frustration.

One question, were you the angry party or was the woman at Mofi? Would would the woman at Mofi be angry if she knew to tell you that Mofi told vendors supply would be limited?

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

A small number of overseas vendors did get copies so obviously some were kept back for export. I'm hoping the same have a few S&G when the time comes. I'm not surprised this was an exclusive to Music Direct in the USA given the number tied up by their own pre-orders. Overseas postage from Music Direct and others is pretty prohibitive and I want to be able to return easily if I get a faulty item.

17. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

My local record store (Decatur CD) has several copies of The Night Fly for sale, yet Elusive were unable to deliver on my 'backup' order so I cancelled it this week. So I guess SOME retailers were able to get copies, one way or another.

18. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Bought from UK dealer Analogue Seduction. They had it available for a short time.

richbdd01 likes this.
  19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

That’s where I got my copy. They package pretty well, lots of bubble wrap on mine. Did you order it recently?

20. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

No - just after you tipped me off - Thanks!

21. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Fortunately some "kind" folks on this very forum are still selling copies.... For a mere 150% markup over retail!

22. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

and awaaaaay we go!

Slick Willie likes this.
  23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I credit /blame SRV for the onslaught of Blueshammer bands.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

:waiting: :cop:

25. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

No one should have to follow this (or any other online) forum in order to know that they probably wouldn't have their order filled by a normally reliable vendor like Amazon or Elusive. Those who were left in the lurch have a legitimate gripe.

AnalogJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.