When did John decide to leave The Beatles/what was the "final straw"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Doctor, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

While your last sentence may be true, and I have no reason to doubt it or to claim that it isn't true, May Pang did in fact state in an interview (I believe it was once posted on youtube and may still be there) that John had in fact expressed an interest in working again with the other three, and, IIRC, that he was somewhat excited about the possibility of doing it.

2. JRad

JRad Well-Known Member

Arnold G- very likely so. Just one of a number of things that led to the band's premature demise. It's crazy to think they the band recorded together for well under a decade and maintains the stature (one of, if not the, as some believe, most important music acts) and popularity it does.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That discussion with May Pang was in 1975. I believe that czeskleba meant his comment to mean the time period when the break-up happened (late 1969 - 1970).

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

He was gonna stay then one night he played The End and knew it was time.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

What Arnold said.

I was talking only about the period between September 1969 and April 1970 (when McCartney released his statement that the Beatles were broken up). It was being claimed that during that period, Lennon was ambivalent about leaving the band and had not decided for certain that he wanted to do it. My point was that during that period, there is no evidence that Lennon expressed ambivalence or talked about working with the Beatles again in any private conversations.

6. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

...and here's another clue for you all
    the toilet's down the hall

goodiesguy and PDK like this.
  7. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

And how about the always playful Mr. McCartney.

Supposedly one set of Paul’s grandparents were Irish and the others were English. William Campbell is of course Scottish. And where did Paul go when the Beatles split?

Scotland

8. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

They all (Beatles + Allen Klein) agreed not to go public with it because Klein was in the middle of renegotiating their contract with EMI.

Obviously, if EMI knew they were going to break up, they would have offered a lot less.

Everyone held to this agreement until Paul decided to use it to promote his solo album.

The dispute over the date of the solo album release (Paul demanded the Beatles delay of releasing "Let it Be," despite the fact that it had already been scheduled) led Paul to physically accosting Ringo and throwing him out of his house.

John was absolutely not ambivalent about ending the band, but, time heals wounds and I think at some point after the mid-70's he considered it from time to time.

As others have mentioned, the Who announced they were done, the Stones sure as hell looked done, the Eagles said they'd perform again "When Hell Freezes Over"... so who knows?

I do think George would have held out unless he got assurances that he'd have a lot more input.

Respectfully Siegmund, this is hogwash.

Paul didn't "call (John's) bluff" -- Paul broke a promise to the entire band that no one would announce it.

He cynically did it merely to amplify the publicity for his solo album.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    WilliamWes and California Couple like this.
  9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

It's all true. In reality, the Beatles never broke up.

They just happen to take a very *LONG LONG LONG* time between recording projects...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

John hard that there was a tape of him and David Crosby and in his frustration over the crappy nature of the recording, he left the Beatles.

Mr Hankey, Ethan B and Chuckee like this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Whether he did or didn't for sure I can't really say, but if he did I don't blame him. He didn't want to leave, but John wanted to leave and that meant there was no more Beatles whether he wanted it or not. He was on his own now, he had his own solo career to think about and an album to promote. I can't say what I would've done but I also can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing.

BellaLuna, Paulwalrus and maywitch like this.
  12. john lennonist

Yes, but as I posted above, this was in '74 - '75... not in 1970.

EDIT: I now see that Arnold Grove stated the same thing earlier on this page.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. tages

tages Senior Member

Yes, Paul needed the announcement to boost sales of his solo album. I mean, nobody would’ve bought it otherwise, right?

14. john lennonist

Paul goes on publicity tours -- TV, magazines, etc. -- everytime he releases an album.

You should tell him not to waste his time doing so.

15. tages

tages Senior Member

There is a difference between that and what you are suggesting he did in 1970.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

He was hoping to join CSNY, but arguments over where the "L" would go in their name undid that plan.

17. Arnold Grove

Add in Dylan and they could have been NYC LSD ... ;)

18. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

By the time we get to May Pang then THIS is a different argument, the OGWT interview clearly has John speaking in a more positive way about a reunion in 1975, he just wasn't quite bothered enough to make it happen himself but was up for it if somebody else was prepared to do the donkey work...

Crimson Witch and john lennonist like this.
  19. muffmasterh

It's unproven that that was the reason but Lennon certainly though it was and he said he also thought Macca's apology to him on the phone that that was not what he meant was just BS.

Macca certainly did have plausible deniability on his side however as i have said before once the press ran with " Paul quits the Beatles " he never as far as i know ever tried to disabuse them of this notion.

Aside from these more arguable points i believe poster lennonist pretty much has it spot on otherwise - and if you believe John's view he has it all spot on imho

john lennonist likes this.
  20. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

29th December 1974

I don't believe in Beatles

21. Arnold Grove

I got Paul to volunteer:

[​IMG] ;)

goodiesguy, john lennonist and Zeki like this.
  22. john lennonist

Yeah, the difference is that he broke his promise to the entire band when he did it in 1970.

23. muffmasterh

actually Arnie Paul would be the ideal choice but the irony is that once wings were up and running he seemed very much able to put the Beatles behind him and probably by the mid 70's was the least likely to want to try and make it happen, although George could have given him a run for his money in that least likely dept

24. muffmasterh

i don't think it was breaking a promise as such but it was certainly regarded by the others as bad form assuming Paul mean it to be taken as he was quitting, like i said Paul does have some plausible deniability in that he did not actually say that he was quitting the band but thats what the world though he meant.

He was either at that point done with the band or maybe hoped that the band, or John in particular would just give him a cuddle and say no you've got the wrong end of the stick and the bands not done yet its just parked, but i suspect the former is more likely.

foxylady likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Yes, the timing was off once Wings really hit the big time.

muffmasterh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.