R.I.P. Johnny Hallyday 1943-2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Laibach, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Great singer.
    R.I.P Johnny.

2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Why the need to come here and troll wrong facts ?
    Whether i like Johnny or not has nothing to do with it...
    Facts are that he is a big artist, he worked hard, respected his audience, sold well, had a great voice for what he was singing, was known outside of France and Belgium, etc.

Songwriters worked with him because they wanted to, and yes they got paid well for doing so i hope.

He didn't just sell a bunch of singles as others proved here with actual figures.

You criticize his voice but looking at bands you listen to in your profile i don't see what difference there would be between those and Johnny.

Really : what's the point of your comments except to show us your disrespect and expose your unargumented false knowledge ?

D.B., goodiesguy, squittolo and 3 others like this.
  3. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

By the way : does anyone know whether any other artist did what he did when he went through a 60 000 people stadium to go on stage at the beginning of one of his concerts ?

4. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

My kids go to a French school and when I went to pick them up tonight they were playing Johnny Halliday videos in the foyer!!

CBC radio have a tribute to him on air at the moment.

5. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

On french tv yesterday, it was HIM hours long on the two mains channels...you saw tv presentators in tears and the people on the street were really shocked... old people like Charles Aznavour or Line Renaud said no death had caused such an emotion in the land since world war II, even Piaf, Marcel cerdan or De Gaulle deaths.

If he had sung it in English, his 1969 long player (rivière ouvre ton lit) would be remembered as a classic record from the great classic-rock era...it's the one that is recorded with a band comprised of Frampton and the Small faces...if you want to discover his potential as a rock artist, do yourself a favor and try to listen to this one on spotify...

6. His death made the prime time TV news in Germany for two days in a row now. That doesn't happen for just some singer in a neighbouring country, it shows that he is a French icon and the respect this commands. His music wasn't played that much on German radio (what good music is? :rolleyes:), but people interested in music are certainly familiar with his name. Having been married to Sylvie Vartan didn't hurt, I suppose.

7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Correct and even if it was the misquoted title, it would have to be « il faut que je t'AIE dans ma vie ».

goodiesguy, Calico and squittolo like this.
  8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Check out a quite funny film called "Crime Spree". The scene with Johnny and Renaud disdaining each others' music is priceless.

squittolo and patel kismet like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

goodiesguy and squittolo like this.
  10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

He WAS the French news yesterday. The only story from start to finish. Comparing him to Elvis doesn't begin to tell the story.

Here he is in 1961, singing off mic to one camera.

11. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

This is a wonderful film, and Hallyday is great in it, holding his own as an actor with the formidable Jean Rochefort. Highly recommended.

squittolo and ando here like this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Aussie rocker Brian Cadd (The JetSet, The Groop, Axiom, The Bootleg Family Band) was Johnny's musical director for a while in the 80s. There's a chapter about it in his book. Johnny even got Sylvie Vartan to cover Brian's song Keep on Rockin' on her I Don't Want The Night To End album.

Johnny sings Brian

13. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

Disagree with that. There'll be some idiots irrespective of nationality who claim he was irrelevant not just little Englanders.

He was never my cup of tea. I had a great argument with someone in a bar in Biarritz many years ago about how rotten JH's music was in my opinion. I recall he mentioned something about Anglais merde.

In terms of what he meant to France and Europe JH was an absolute star....and I was an uneducated musical snob when I was in Biarritz.

squittolo likes this.
  14. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Is there a list of recommended films Johnny Hallyday acted in?

bleachershane and squittolo like this.
  15. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I was never into Johnny Hallyday music, but he's undeniable in France, he's part of the popular culture. He seemed to be quite nice I think.

My aunt had (and has) this album, and i thought the cover was a bit frightening as a child!

(this song is so of its time musically : 1971).

squittolo likes this.
  16. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Proggish rock opera based on Shakespeare? Check!

squittolo likes this.
  17. An amazing little film!

squittolo and Mylene like this.
  18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

My favorite Hallyday song.

squittolo likes this.
  19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The bit where Hallyday uses piano instead of guitar in the break is total genius.

squittolo likes this.
  20. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Johnny Hallyday + RIP

squittolo likes this.
  21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A massive "hommage populaire" in Paris tomorrow with the President in attendance plus gatherings in towns and cities all across France.
    We watched yet another excellent Johnny themed evening on France 2 last night.

goodiesguy, squittolo and Mylene like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Another blaster.
    Very similar to the tone of Queen's "The Show Must Go On".

squittolo likes this.
  23. squittolo

squittolo Forum Resident

The Eiffel Tower paying a tribute to Johnny.

24. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Don't listen to french hacks who have no lives and no achievement whatsoever tell you who or what Johnny was.

Johnny was even in the SEX jukebox so you could buy your DESTROY T-Shirt listening to this:

25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

From probably his heaviest album (that I heard anyway). Again, it was in my aunt's collection and quite a shock to hear in the late 80s when his recent output was then quite different and more MOR.
    Most media seem to focus on on his latter career (that was his most popular era) or his very beginnings, but there's a lot that's not covered much (late 60s,70s, early 80s). The songs I heard on the radio were all the same.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    0476pearljam and squittolo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.