What Records Would You Grab During A Fire?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marc Perman, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I would grab "Meet The Beatles" ... right out of this kid's hands.

[​IMG]

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I keep my rarest CDs in a small container that I could easily grab (after my two cats).

3. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

4. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

None. This is why I have digital backups off-site.

zebop likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Bunch of evil bastards!

The Killer, Sean and Joti Cover like this.
  7. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

None, I would grab my painting of Robert Johnson that a deceased friend painted for me. Then my insulin and if i remember my hard drive with all music, photos, and videos on it.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  8. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

My non-vinyl collection on the hard drives would be the priority in a fire. I can live without complicated decision making in a crisis and I may choose to remain digital after the tragedy... I have a fair bit of duplication and everything digital is ripped to the drives. As a bit of insurance, the family photos are on the same drive so I would even avoid marital retribution at the same time.

9. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

My six-eye copy of Mingus' Ah Um and my four Alto Edition LPs. I'd probably suffocate by the time I found all of them, so it would be a glorious end.

10. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I don't have many records that are really all that rare, but there are some beat-up ones with sentimental value. I'd grab the remaining Beatles that my parents had from back when I was a kid and a few other albums they owned. It's just a handful that are left -- Hey Jude, Let it Be, Sgt Pepper (on Apple so must be later pressing obv) and solo McCartney (s/t). If I had a few extra seconds I'd grab Nilsson's The Point and Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. CCR Cosmo's Factory and Carole King's Tapestry are the last of the set. These are pretty much the only childhood-era records I have that still exist and they are just a few feet away from me at home, so if the alarms went off I'd grab this stack and run. I actually keep these ones together still to this day in their own section.

Marc Perman likes this.
  11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

12. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I'd burn up trying to decide since everything's such a mess. Kind of a fire trap now that I think of it. :help:

Brian Lux, steveharris and Man at C&A like this.
  13. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I’m in Ventura and I had to evacuate. I have most of my CDs ripped on a hard drive. But I filled one of the cars with my vinyl collection. :cry:

14. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I think I'd just cue up "Burning Down The House," down a bottle of whiskey & laugh maniacally.

steveharris and Sean like this.
  15. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Count me as one of the folks who would just grab their hard drive (or iPad containing all of my music - I'm sure there's a way to extract it from there). But if push came to shove, I'd probably take a few out of print Lucy's Fur Coat picture disc singles that I doubt anybody else but the band probably owns anymore. Everything else I have could be tracked down somewhere.

16. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

My Mono Beatles boxed set and my UK original stereo pressings! Would not be able to leave those behind.

17. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I would grab Never Mind the Bollocks and make a run for it. :D

18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Guitars and Guns before Records.

19. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Guitars and Guns, are you ted nugent? Good album title

20. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Beggars Banquet
    It's Too Late To Stop Now
    Hissing of Summer Lawns
    Donny Hathaway Live
    Katy Lied
    Stranded

21. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I don't know why, but my SMiLE Sessions box came to mind first. It isn't the special edition one, just the regular. I guess for so long that album/songs was a white whale for me, I still recall the day the box arrived vividly. So I'll go with that.

22. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

The 2 Y&T butcher covers that are in my closet. The Carl Wilson comp cd from the LA American Cancer Society is in the same bag. Probably should put RL LZ II in same bag. The MAC desktop if there's time.

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Guitars? Yes I get that, Guns?! WTF? Before records? I can't get my head around that one I must admit. :)

Rad Dudeski and I333I like this.
  24. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

My backup harddrive & some old photo albums.

25. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

The dogs, papers, keys, wallet, hard drive, etc is a given... now to your question :

Immediate beeline to the acetates ... RARE Beatles, Dylan, King Crimson, and the rest..
    Some one-of-a-kind personally owned, and used by the artists.. Then it's a scramble for
    all the test pressings and promos. A mad dash to the large white notebook binders filled
    with Beatles/Solo/Dylan and Crimson PS's and rare paper ephemera. The all important
    notebook binders with written LOA / COA / provenance papers .. At some point, I'm now
    running around the house grabbing signed prints, awards, posters and art work off the walls.

As a pragmatic realist .. I know it's the final living nightmare that has crossed the mind through
    the many decades. There is just too much, a life of hopes and dreams. But now.... the reality
    of age, and hip replacements, and a new reverse shoulder replacement .. I can't carry much of
    anything. I awake with a jolt, T-shirt is soaked, breathing heavily, confused.

Now I'm in Heaven +

Only recognizable thing on the property is a charred copy of Talking Heads "Burning Down The House"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.