Poll: Hair Metal during/after "Grunge" takeover - who still carried the flame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattright, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Winger's "Pull" is a Helluva album - Junkyard Dog is up there with anything Soundgarden did (for the most part)

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Nun of the above

3. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

If I could jump in: I grew up on hair metal and arena rock, and I was bitter about grunge. (I especially hated Pearl Jam, foolishly.)

I started college in Texas in 1992, when GnR were the kings and Dr Feelgood singles were still getting good airplay. But dyed in the wool as I was, I still could recognize that "Come as You Are" and "Lithium" and "Hunger Strike" were a lot more interesting than what I had been playing all those years. By the end of 1992, I was already listening to hair metal as nostalgia and listening to Temple of the Dog nonstop in my dormroom.

It all happened fast.

izombie73, Purple, Mathew and 2 others like this.
  4. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

got into HS in 1989, graduated (1 year late) in 1994.

The sea change than happened in those years floors me to this date - not sure if any other sub-generation went through such a significant shift.

Perhaps the kids who started HS in 2001 (Nu-Metal craze) and graduated in 2005 (garage band craze) felt something similar?

Purple likes this.
  5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Adrenalize was the last across-the-board number one glam metal album; US, UK, Canada, Australia.

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. zen

zen Senior Member

7. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I always wondered how music was perceived in high schools the years that you went. I was in high school from 1986 to 1990 which were the prime glam metal and thrash metal years so there was not a big change in Music climate when I was going to school although when Guns N Roses came along in 1987 a lot of people took notice. It was GnR and Metallica who ruled when I went to high school.

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The narrative, largely created and driven hard by rock critics, that grunge killed hair metal is a complete myth. Many of those bands were already on their death bed, and bands like Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard and Bon Jovi still did well after grunge exploded.

And what's great is that hair metal has aged well as a fun part of rock history, while grunge, by and large, died a quick death, and ended up having no more than a handful of bands that are still looked fondly upon.

9. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I watched a lot of MTV as a little kid around 92 and onward and the last hair metal song I can really recall was Vince Neil's "You're Invited But Your Friend Can't Come." That song was in regular rotation for a while and I remember always skipping it at the time because I was always waiting for "Baby Got Back" to play.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    mattright likes this.
  10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Dokken's Erase The Slate is probably a high water mark for the main list.

But KISS' Revenge is an outstanding disc too.

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Dysfunctional is even better than that!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I like Dysfunctional too--and the s/t original mix '94 Japanese version--but I think Erase The Slate* is the better of the two (three?)

*I should specify the Japanese version of Erase The Slate with 2 bonus tracks

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the mix is different? any songs that isn't on the USA version?

14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

ARK and zen like this.
  15. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Listen to Slave to the Grind and tell me the answer isn’t Skid Row.

16. jfbar167

jfbar167 Forum Resident

+++1 on that. sadly though, they NEVER repeated that ever again. That is a perfect example of "it's better to burn out than to fade away"

LitHum05 likes this.
  17. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Agreed. But none of the other bands in the poll repeated it post-Nirvana either.

Even Motley Crue. Dr. Feelgood preceded the grunge thing.

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

o_O

tkl7 likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You think Rush is a Hair Metal band??? :wtf:

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I know Tesla and Great White released at least one great album a piece passed their heyday, but the albums I'm thinking about were post grunge, not during grunge, and they lacked the pop sheen of true hair metal acts in the first place.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Look at the charts in 1963 vs. 1967 and get back to me!

Purple and LitHum05 like this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I was in college during peak hair metal and I actually had a few albums, but sort of had to force myself to listen to them, to try to stay current or something. I'd purchased Open Up and Say Ahhh over the cover controversy. I'd been given Slippery When Wet as a gift. I really liked "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Warrant. And I've hung on to Skid Row's first two albums. But mostly I preferred oldies and classic rock and "college" music like U2, REM and The Violent Femmes.

I did love Guns and Roses when they first came out. But not as much as The Georgia Satellites and The Black Crowes.

tkl7 and Scopitone like this.
  23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I felt like in 1992 that metal was still safe so I didn't count Skid Row. 1993 is where MTV tossed all its metal out unless you were Metallica.

24. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

if you are a fan, then why do you call it "HAIR" metal.

its rock and roll with glam ! it is rock and roll. maybe some crunchier guitars here and there, but not metal to me.

25. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Slave to the Grind came out in June of '91, so before Nevermind and Ten.

ARK and seed_drill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.