Unreleased Joni Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

BlueGangsta, check out her very early 1967-1968 bootlegs, there's a lot of unreleased songs in those. Some of them have surprisingly good audio quality.

There's the 1972 b-side to "You turn me on I'm a radio", called "Urge for going", which was released on cd on her "Hits" collection.

The "next" album mention in the 1972 Carnegie Hall concert might be about 1972's "For the roses". The Carnegie Hall show took place in february and "For the roses" was released in october, so she probably was talking about the new songs in the show being on that next album.

There was talk of a 5 disc box set around 2005. One of those 5 discs was supposed to be a dvd.
    There were to be alternative takes from the Mingus sessions, as mentioned before, and unreleased songs, especially from the first album sessions because she had already written a lot of songs by that time. She mentioned a song called "Jeremy", and that David Crosby still had some studio tapes from those sessions, where you can also hear the both of them chat.
    Also, at that time, Joni wanted the liner notes on that box set to be "written by fans", so you were asked to send emails to her official website, detailing why you loved Joni Mitchell's music. Joni was supposed to select her favorites and those were to be the liner notes.

Not trying to get picky there but such a box set would have been far more interesting than the "Love has many faces" one.
    No offense Joni!

That being said I'd love to know which ones of her concerts were recorded and not (yet!) released.

2. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Joni did an interview recently?!

3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

That could depend on what it says in her will... which reminds me, I gotta do that someday... ;)

Tuco and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  4. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Not really! According to the latest news she's still recovering from her stroke and making good progress.

jlf likes this.
  5. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

The interview mentioned was the Tavis Smiley one from 2014... You can look it up if you're interested.

6. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Worth seeking out is that Joni Mitchell/James Taylor BBC 1970 performance where they sing separately and together and are just a darn cute couple.
    Some pretty pristine versions exist. I always hoped it would get an official release but knew it wouldn't.

7. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

There was this release from a few days earlier:
    Amchitka is a 2009 two-CD release of a recording of Joni Mitchell, James Taylor and Phil Ochs performing an October 16, 1970, benefit concert at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver.

Hep Alien, barnaby and mkolesa like this.
  8. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I wisely purchased the Amchitka disc when it came out.
    Shoulda bought a couple, it kind of went up in price ... way up.

DmitriKaramazov and rob68 like this.
  9. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    Aphoristical likes this.
  10. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

11. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

That's true. I never thought of that.

12. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Forgot about this : "remastered and expanded" 2 CD deluxe editions of Joni's Court and spark, The hissing of summer lawns and Hejira were supposed to be released in 2007. Needless to say they weren't, but there was much talk of unreleased bonus material on them back then, although there wasn't any clue at all as to what that material would be (live tracks, unreleased songs, demos or whatever). Could have been anything really as there was no detailed tracklist anywhere, although the releases were already properly listed on online shops websites.
    Damned, once again!

Hep Alien, bartels76 and BlueGangsta like this.
  13. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

Joni said in an interview with CBC that she felt her vocal performances in the early sessions were better than what were use and said 'I should probably put them out at some point'.

HenryFly and somnar like this.
  14. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

My first experience of her sonically and visually was on my Dad's copy of this live album, very happy memories. Has anyone else ever sung with the emotional depth she attained on 'A case of you' on MoA? (Apart from her good self in later concerts, of course, with her 'matured ad smoky' vocal chords!). I know she enjoyed working with the LA Express a great deal, they're not the best thing about these concerts for me (if I can be overcritical looking back on music that moved me as a kid)

rstamberg likes this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I would be especially interested in any alternate takes recorded with Jaco, whom I suspect would play quite a different part each time.

wrat, Tuco and Comet01 like this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I would be especially interested in any alternate takes recorded with Jaco, whom I suspect would play quite a different part each time.

17. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I'd love to see all of it released. I suspect it will be at some point.

18. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

She may not be putting a smokescreen up, when she says there is very little unused studio stuff left over. She has never had the strongest of physical constitutions and I suspect the writing process drains her emotionally too.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe Joni said about Wayne Shorter too that he would do completely different multiple takes leaving her to pick or comp together her preferred one.

Rfreeman likes this.
  20. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Not entirely off-topic, but.....I'm loving that new Joni Mitchell `Ultimate Music Guide'
    from the folks at Uncut.

21. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

You're probably right - there aren't whole vaults like Prince, but I could see the Summer Lawns demos being re-released as well as the Mingus alternate takes. And if any other stand alone songs (like the ones listed upthread - standalone as in not on any other album) have been recorded, that may be released as well. (Most are live cuts from TV - not impossible to press to a recording but obv. sound quality would be quite diminished/compromised.)

I wish her every bit of health and it would be wonderful if she creates and records again, but if that doesn't happen, I expect at some point her advisers will suggest that she release some of these things.

22. BlueGangsta

Does anyone on this forum actually have a copy of "Alternate Blue"?

23. polk

polk Forum Resident

I don't have the source in front of me but I believe it was in the book Shakey, that Neil Young said Joni came by during the 1973 recording sessions for Tonight's the Night. She sang, backing vocals on several songs. They also recorded a "funky" version of Raised on Robbery that Neil likes better than the released version. But he said Joni wouldn't let him release it. The next volume of the Neil Young Archive will cover this very period...

BlueGangsta and zebop like this.
  24. BlueGangsta

That's interesting! Especially given that Raise on Robbery is already pretty damn funky.

25. bols59

bols59 Forum Resident

I once owned a cassette from the 1974 tour. I gave it away in 1983. I haven't located any record of this show online. To the best of my memory it contained the solo part of the show. Here's what I remember:

For the Roses had an incredibly long intro about the artubus trees in Vancouver. "They hit each other in the wind. It sounds like applause. They're really rebels..."

All I Want "Speaking of knit you a sweater... Stu?"

Blue she played

Peoples Parties "I went to this party and was very nervous. Everything was transparent. White wine, consomme, white walls. There was a guy there, a funny man. He zeroed in on me. He said, "Joni... what do you think is humour?" I told him I'd get back to him..."

There was one other rap about love. She talked about how you're in love and everything's great. Then you start to read Nietzsche and it all falls apart.

Does anybody have a clue as to wh. show this is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.