Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I was talking about the Alan Forbes artwork referred to in the post above yours. I actually have only heard the first album.

2. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Steve Gorman (sgsfox) and Chris’ wife (allisonbridgesrobinson) are also amongst the comments!

Rockin' Robby and Hep Alien like this.
  3. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I wonder if that is one of Steve's kids?

I am listening to the Lost Crowes cds right now.

highway chile and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

5. Analogmoon

Oh I meant the Rosemary Gorman person.

6. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

that was rough...

7. Man, he's so, so burned out. Walking advertisement for just what a toll drugs can take. I can still see bits of his charisma there, though. That was such a huge part of the Black Crowes.

art likes this.
  8. I'll so far as to say that the first disc of that (Tall) is my favorite Black Crowes recording. Some truly transcendent material there. That version of Wiser Time might be the best thing they ever did.

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Not weird at all. I like the CRB, but it's like they put out a new record before I've even had a chance to really process the last one. It's great for diehards, but it makes it tougher to keep up as a casual fan.

highway chile and jazz_case like this.
  10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

There could be some respite in 2018, as Circles Around The Sun are cutting a 2nd album.
    https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/circles-around-the-sun-new-album-tour-2018/

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Analogmoon

That's my favorite period of the band also - along with Before The Frost. . .Until The Freeze era.

Notes: Amorica/Tall Sessions/Demos, B-Sides, Covers, Unreleased Songs
    Set/Track list: Disc 1

1. The Pretty Gurl Song
    2. Exit
    3. Dirty Haired Halo
    4. Bitter Bitter You
    5. Thunderstorm 6:54pm
    6. Title Song
    7. Bewildered
    8. The Fear Years
    9. One Cop Story

Notes: Amorica/Tall Sessions/Demos, B-Sides, Covers, Unreleased Songs
    Set/Track list: Disc 2

1. Pastoral (?)
    2. Unknown Tall/Amorica Song #1
    3. Feathers
    4. Tornado
    5. Rainy Day Woman #12 x 35
    6. Darling Of The Underground Press
    7. She Gave Good Sunflower
    8. Chevrolet

Notes: Complete Tall Sessions

1. Exit
    2. The Fear Years
    3. Bewildered
    4. She Gave Good Sunflower
    5. Title Song
    6. Bitter Bitter You
    7. Tied Up & Swallowed
    8. Cursed Diamond instrumental (acoustic)
    9. Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz
    10. Jam (Dirty Haired Halo)
    11. Cursed Diamond instrumental (electric)
    12. One Cop Story
    13. Wind and Wood Heart
    14. Tornado

Notes: Complete Tall Sessions

1. Dirty Haired Halo
    2. Tied Up & Swallowed
    3. P.25 London
    4. Cursed Diamond
    5. Nonfiction
    6. Wiser Time
    7. Feathers
    8. A Conspiracy
    9. Song of the Flesh
    10. High Head Blues
    11. Thunderstorm 6:54 P.M.
    12. Evil Eye
    13. Descending
    14. Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz
    15. Low Down

Notes: Tall As Can Be (1990-1999)

1. Kick The Devil Outta Me (1990)
    2. You’re Such A Pity (1990)
    3. You’re Wrong (1990)
    4. You’re Wrong (Acoustic) (1991)
    5. Miserable (1990)
    6. Bruises And Pills (1991)
    7. On That Hollow Day (1992)
    8. Bewildered (1992)
    9. The Fear Years (1992)
    10. The Nowhere Stairs (1993)
    11. Bitter Bitter You (1993)
    12. Grinnin’ (1995)

Notes: Tall As Can Be (1990-1999)

1. Exit (1995)
    2. Pastoral (1995)
    3. Title Song (1996)
    4. Name Like Music (1996)
    5. Thunderstorm 6:54 PM (1996)
    6. Nothing Love Everything (1996)
    7. Spider In The Sugar Bowl (1997)
    8. Spider In The Sugar Bowl (Acoustic) (1997)
    9. If It Ever Stops Raining (1997)
    10. Another Roadside Tragedy (1997)
    11. My Heart’s Killing Me (1997)
    12. Paint An 8 (1997)
    13. Bled To Death (1999)

Hep Alien, painted8 and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

13. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

Such an incredible run. They were so creative and motivated during this period. Such a shame that most people only know them for Shake Your Money Maker. Just an incredible band that could blow the roof off an old theater, and melt your heart and soul with incredible singing, beautiful twin guitar weaving, and a heavy and steady rhythmic groove. Best live band in the world when they were at their peak. The Black Crowes are SO underappreciated.

My all-time favorite band. My "That's my band" band. All the fighting and ego exercises are disappointing. They really bum me out as a die-hard fan. I don't begrudge the break up. I understand. Creative people need to transform. I just wish these guys would care about their legacy a little more. Chris is the primary offender, and it pains me to say that because he was always my favorite Crowe. I saw many shows that were almost spiritual affairs for me. I felt like he was singing for me.

I wish all the dirty laundry didn't get aired. People are imperfect. But you don't have to air it in public. Keep things respectful, be a little forgiving, and maybe get together once in a while as the Black Crowes or Brothers of a Feather, and otherwise do your own thing. Why wasn't that good enough? Why turn the knives? They only stand to lose doing that.

14. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

man this live stream show is meandering ...

15. Because you don't run off and try to take everyone's money. Especially when you are not the "solo artist" or sole creator of the music. You just don't do that. Wasn't just a slap in the face to Rich and (to some extent) Steve. It was two knives in the back. Unforgivable unless and apology is made and the conditions are withdrawn.

16. Desolation Row

Yes. I was referring to Chris. It is Chris who turned the knife. But I still wouldn't have aired it.

Because, to gesture to your point, it makes it harder now for Chris to apologize and withdraw the selfish and offensive terms. But I'm being selfish here, too, because, frankly, I just want the Black Crowes or at least Chris and Rich to play again.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  17. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

They closed last month's Chicago show with Watching the Wheels - it was probably the low point of a great show. It wasn't a bad performance - just a bit of a let down.

18. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

It was so sluggish and dirgy. I'm not sure why you'd end the night that way, not to mention Neal doesn't really know his parts for that song.

And I'll admit that I've departed Team Chris (was never really on with the CRB thing; did enjoy NEM, however) and joined on with the Magpie Salute 100%. I play guitar so you have to understand that Marc and Rich playing guitars on the same stage is going to make me happy in my man-zone. Chris has a habit of bumming me out every time he opens his mouth to do anything other than sing.

I'd give it to him if this was a good version of this song, but it's just very blah.

telepicker97 and painted8 like this.
  19. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I thought The Pretty Gurl was from Lions?

20. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Probably there as one of the 'unreleased songs'.

Likewise Pastoral is a 3 Snakes outtake, and not from Amorica or Tall. Probably the same for Bewildered and a few others.

21. Desolation Row

Bewildered is definitely a Tall outtake. They played Bewildered and Exit when I saw them in Davenport, Iowa, on the "High as the Moon Tour" in support of The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion in 1993. An incredible show.

22. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

"Bewildered", "Exit" and "The Fear Years" were recorded at Kingsway Studios in New Orleans on October 11, 1992, but never released. They were abandoned before they started recording Tall.

23. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Agreed. When a friend and I bought tickets for the August TMS Nashville & Chattanooga shows we were really stoked, but there were discussions along the lines of "how will this be live...will we be able to really get into it or will we just be distracted by having someone besides Chris doing vocals?" But once they hit the stage, that never crossed our minds. And by the time they got to Columbia and KC, MO in October they were really on fire. It was definitely "Chris who?" by that point. And as I said earlier, I have seen CRB a dozen times live. But they aren't the same type of band and don't try be. CRB does rock 'n' roll, but they don't approach the heaviness of the Crowes or TMS.

24. Further

Further Forum Resident

I loved a lot of what the CRB did originally and continued to follow what they were doing right up to about the time George Sluppick left....then they lost me for a couple of albums. I decided to take a gamble on their latest, Barefoot In The Head and I’m really glad I did. It’s a really great record - one of their best, in fact.

I jumped on board with the Crowes right from the first album and continued to grow with them through the years right through to the end. Some incredible music that has marked a lot of the milestones of my life - and Chris was a huge part of that. I’ll always hold him in high regard as a singer for one of the best bands ever and for that he gets a certain degree of respect from me and always will.

Unfortunately for me, I’m one of these people where the off-stage person needs to be as genuine as the on-stage persona. The credibility of someone off the stage and the kind of person they are plays a huge part for me in how I connect with the music and how the songs comes across and how I relate to that. I need to believe that they are deep into what they are delivering, that they believe it, too ~ the real deal, so to speak. It may not be that way for every single band that I listen to but it is definitely that way for this one, for me.

I can still listen to everything up to this point with good feelings but knowing who Chris has become these days and how he doesn’t even think twice about the people he threatens and screws over (family, friends and band members) or puts a knife in the back of (Alan Forbes of all people!), I think it might be too much for me to move forward with him and the image he projects, which seems to be a total fraud.

I know Chris has always had that brazen bad attitude, mouthiness and swagger about him (especially in the early days) but he’s really been burning way too many bridges these days and for what reason, I have no idea. Why shoot yourself in the foot? It’s really too bad that he’s digging a deep hole he may never get out of with a lot of people that he once supposedly cared about and may decide at some point that he still does.

25. Desolation Row

Yes, you're right. The Kingsway sessions are great. In my mind I just sort of roll all those sessions into Tall. They were turning out so much great music, so quickly, then. The muse was right in their sights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.