New Mobile Fidelity titles in latest Music Direct catalog*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lovealego, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I have the AF of Heart, so not sure if this will be a huge upgrade..

Myke likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

I notice the banner on that one is not "Original Master Recording"

[​IMG]

Joti Cover likes this.
  3. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Yeah, on top of everything else were hearing about MFSL's Ronstadt catalog, this doesn't bode well.

4. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Maybe Audio Fidelity should contact him and let Steve do them?

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I didn't look at my covers, but if any MFSL "deserves" the lower level Silver label, it's the Ronstadt stuff, but I do think the one's I have say "Original Master Recording" which makes zero sense. They sound like anything but. Prisoner In Disguise (especially the cut Heatwave) should be smoking hot with energy and it's not even close.

Joti Cover likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, unless Steve and Rick are good buddies since the issue is acquiring the masters from what I ready, I doubt that would help, but it would be a thrill to see Steve do the Supertramp albums! But, there are very good examples out there and I'm good with what I have (I have both Crime and Breakfast MFSL on vinyl and they are outstanding...not even sure they can be improved on). I have a 70's comp CD (and I usually hate CD's) and those songs just pop off the disc. He does phenomenal work, as we all know!

Mr Wensleydale likes this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not going to happen. I have no idea how the current SH/MFSL relationship is, but MFSL use their own in-house engineers and hiring someone from outside would probably cost them considerably more.

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I don't get the "UD1S'ed" meaning but they both were issued on Gold CD by Mofi and each sounds very nice IMO. They are both worthy additions to a fan's collection.

9. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Heart Like A Wheel SACD Mastered by Rob Loverde

10. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member Thread Starter

It’s been stated before that MOFI had issues with their mastering chain during the period the Linda Ronstadts were released. Fremer has said it several times. It was a short period. Glad it was short lived and only a few titles.

Mr. Explorer and Joti Cover like this.
  11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Have the silver label releases been vetoed?

12. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'd actually use Heatwave as a prime example of how bad the MFSL CD is. It sounds like she has a towel wrapped around her face. I didn't her the letter 's' pronounced once.:)

13. David P. Hill

JRR and J.A.W. here's the email, my reply back from Marshal, Audio Fidelity on the Supertramp catalogue that I took from your threads:
    He answered very fast, justr emailed this afternoon.

Hey David, thanks for taking time to clue me in on the Supertramp catalog. I will look into that. It’s controlled by Universal. I am assuming that Rick is their manager.

I will try to find out and get to him as well. I would love to have this catalog on vinyl and SACD.

Unfortunately that Spirit title is licensed by another company and not available to us. (This was Dr. Sardonicus SACD I asked about its release.

Thanks again for reaching out David…Much appreciated.

Marshall Blonstein - President

Audio Fidelity-Morada Music

Jrr said:

I heard Rick won't release the master to MFSL. Not sure why it was announced. He is sick and rumor has it he doesn't want any of his stuff rereleased from back in the day, even when he passes on at some point. I was lucky and got a copy two years ago from ebay and it's awesome but you rarely see them and it was around $100 so not cheap.

David P. Hill - Maybe Audio Fidelity should contact him and let Steve do them?

David P. Hill said:

Well, unless Steve and Rick are good buddies since the issue is acquiring the masters from what I ready, I doubt that would help, but it would be a thrill to see Steve do the Supertramp albums! But, there are very good examples out there and I'm good with what I have (I have both Crime and Breakfast MFSL on vinyl and they are outstanding...not even sure they can be improved on). I have a 70's comp CD (and I usually hate CD's) and those songs just pop off the disc. He does phenomenal work, as we all know!

David P. Hill said:

Not going to happen. I have no idea how the current SH/MFSL relationship is, but MFSL use their own in-house engineers and hiring someone from outside would probably cost them considerably more.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

:confused: I don't recall asking anything about the Supertramp catalogue. It's not a group I am even remotely interested in. My previous post was a reaction to an earlier post about the SH/MFSL relationship and MFSL asking SH to do masterings for them, nothing else.

Jrr likes this.
  15. David P. Hill

Ok sorry about that, I was just replying back to your reply.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No need to apologize, apparently just a misunderstanding.

17. Interesting. I don't have Hasten but Simple Dreams sounds fine to me. I also like Steve's master for Don't Cry Now (don't feel inspired to pick up the SACD from MF). I will have to check out Hasten and
    hey there were many cool people on Seasme Street! Don't dis the street!

18. Or Blur...

sennj and JerryTurcotte like this.
  19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I love Sesame Street! My point is that Train was popular enough to get on the show.

wayneklein likes this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I hadn't heard about that here or on Mark's site....good to hear they owned up to it. But, I wonder why they put them out at all? Really, they sound bad...at least the vinyl. Why knowingly put out something like that and put your brand at risk? I feel better knowing they admit there was an issue. Everyone seems to really like the digital versions, however.

George P and wayneklein like this.
  21. Thanks for the clarification. I was asking about the digital was under the impression that was impacted as well. Since Smple Dreams sounds fine, I was a little mystified.

22. I think this rumor is curious about the Supertramp release. WHY would Rick or his wife (who manages Supertramp or Rick's Supertramp) object to this being reissued? It's been reissued multiple times both in the U.S. And Japan (and as recently as SHM and SACD from Japan). Universal would own the rights to the masters and Roger would also, I'm sure, have a say in what happened as well.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

From what I understand he doesn't want anything to do with the "old" Supertramp, ie, with Roger Hodgson. It's really a shame Roger left the group and gave up his rights to the name...he must really regret that in hindsite. It's really silly...why punish the fans? A real fight was put up when the dvd of the concert was discovered and then put out a few years ago. Just seems like anything related to the old band is a real challenge. I don't know if Rick doesn't want Roger getting any royalties from new releases of old material, or what the thought is, but I think many people would love to see that material reissued.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I mentioned this in the One-Step thread, but in case folks here didn't see it, MOFI is currently accepting pre-orders for the pictured One-Step titles on the rear cover of the catalog, and one that is not pictured: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Couldn't Stand the Weather. You can preorder by calling their 1-800 number. They don't charge until they ship.

dkurtis and MikeJedi like this.
  25. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Then why don't they send a formal email announcing these One-Step titles??:realmad:
    My God, they send me an email every day announcing their latest demo sale, 10 % off vinyl, etc.. I'm a bit annoyed that they are taking phone orders on these prior to official release, just shady imo. Rant over..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.