YES "Fly From Here" with re-recorded vocals in 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So is the new release going to called vocals will fly in from here.

Pete Puma and marc with a c like this.
  2. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

It's a great record. Mostly because of Trevor Horn.

walrus likes this.
  3. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I agree. :)

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  4. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I actually prefer the second half of the album to the Fly From Here suite.

5. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I think that on the Fly From Here suite Benoit sounds very much like Horn. I guess it would be cool to hear the songs with Horn singing but I don't think there will be a huge difference. Still I know some of the band members say it will come out but I just don't see it coming out. Maybe a download only thing but I can't see any record label wanting to release it just because Horn is singing on it since he produced the first one already.

zen, altaeria and bruce2 like this.
  6. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Yes announce weekend of London events to celebrate 50th anniversary

Really? Will it be only available in limited quantities at an event in London...?!

oneway23 and ShardEnder like this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Next up? A Heaven & Earth re-release with new bass and drum tracks by Arthur Barrow and Chad Wackerman.

8. magister345

magister345 Forum Resident

The wording is indeed bizarre. In the end, everything is limited somehow.

9. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

10. Limited or not, I'm just pleased to see this alternate version of Fly From Here from the full Drama era Yes line-up finally getting a release. Let's see if Trevor Horn will now give us that long-promised new Buggles album as well...

uzn007 likes this.
  11. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

12. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

And if he changes the song- and album titles. Maybe the artwork too...

Rfreeman likes this.
  13. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Black Sabbath did the same thing with an EP of leftovers from their last album. It was fortunately online for download within days. Granted, Sabbath sold it at every tour stop of a months-long worldwide tour, so the percentage of fans who would upload such a thing to torrent sites is significantly smaller, but, it'll get out there, one way or another.

The fans who want to hear it will hear it.

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

15. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

This is how YesWorld puts it:

To me, this could mean that the new edition will eventually be available elsewhere, but it's coming out first at the UK fan convention, where they will have only "limited numbers" rather than crates and crates of the things.

If they make it exclusive to the one event and never sell it anywhere afterwards, they're painting a target on their own backs for bootleggers.

I like "We Can Fly From Here" (as the song was called when first performed in 1980), but the title seems a little prosaic when you listen to the lyrics and realize it's a song about an airport. It's like writing a song called "Take Me Higher," which turns out to be about an elevator.

tedhead, Sandinista and LivingForever like this.
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm in. Sold my 2011 vinyl for a decent $$ after it went out of print...it was a crappy pressing with major IGD issues right out of the box, so I'm in for this, big time, assuming it comes out on vinyl.

Lownote30 likes this.
  17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

18. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I finally got around to picking up Fly From Here a few days ago.

sound chaser and altaeria like this.
  19. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

This is great news. I'd gotten the impression that the project might not be released after all. Though Benoit David's vocals are quite nicely done on the original release, I have a special place in my musical heart for the Drama line-up, and look forward to hearing the "proper" follow-up to Drama. Having Trevor re0mix it is also intriguing. Like the rest of you, though, I wish it were being given a more broadly accessible release.

PhoffiFozz and Musician95616 like this.
  20. For a while, this song was going to form the core of what became the second Buggles album, Adventures In Modern Recording, along with Sad Night At The Airfield, Life On A Film Set (then still known by its working title of Riding A Tide - even though Riding A Tiger was always the actual lyric) and Vermillion Sands. If my understanding is correct, much of this material was recorded as demos for a potential follow-up to Drama yet recorded before the sessions for that LP, as it should be noted that "We Can Fly From Here" was the first song Trevor offered to Yes upon joining the group with Geoff in early 1980. Of course, all this changed when they both left, with Geoff then quitting Buggles on the first day of recordings for their reclaimed material to instead reunite with Steve Howe in Asia. Despite the liner notes of the 2010 expanded reissue for Adventures In Modern Recording claiming otherwise, Trevor's demos of the songs eventually revisited by Yes on Fly From Here three decades later weren't from the end of 1980, but can be dated back to winter earlier the same year, with many unofficial compilations of the Drama outtakes sourcing these from a cassette once belonging to Eddie Offord, who only produced that album's preliminary instrumental tracks, confirming they existed by April.

21. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

my guess is a general release not too long after this fan event in London. "by popular demand" I would imagine the press release will say :)
    good album though, so if there's a vinyl edition I'll be picking it up. Take note, YES productions :)

Musician95616 likes this.
  22. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Count me in. I also thought this project was abandoned. I am sure this will be released to the general public at some point. It better be!

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  23. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Bring on a Drama/FFH tour! :D

24voltsdc and sound chaser like this.
  24. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

While Chris Squire was alive, after FFH was released, I kept telling my buddy who works for Yes when they tour that this was the most viable option!

24voltsdc, Say It Right and Pim like this.
  25. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Hopefully not too limited, or it just means a few available there and then a general release to follow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.