Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Yeah. However, have you ever wondered what's on Dave's tapes from that era and why none of them have surfaced, other than demos for his first album?

Dave is prone to exaggeration, yet when he speaks about these songs he's probably talking about early permutations of familiar numbers before NLTL. These might include different riffs, arrangements, etc., some of which are Dave's.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Got my box today - hooray! BUT... The info-sheet is missing - boo!
    Sending it back. So annoying, man!
    Been listening to nothing but the first two boxes the last couple of days, then comes the day when I finally get the new one... And I can't even open it or anything! Total downer.

3. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Oh, and it wasn't in a black box with foam on the sides like the previous ones. Just a normal brown box. It did have the barcode/cat. nr. stickered on like the first two black ones, though...
    This is silly, I realize that, but I really want the new packing box to match Kill/Ride! Haha.

4. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Thank you for the well wishes. No, wasn't hurt. Can't say the same for the deer or my car tho.

Due to some various issues people have been posting about I finally cracked open the box set an hour ago. I did the download, thumbed through the book, checked out to see if the vinyl "appeared" flat (it did), ripped a few of the live discs and sampled some of the Jason's Audition and Reseda Live CD.

Overall, very impressed by everything in the box set. I read that someone said that the CDs were jammed into the slipcases and was worried about that. I'm relieved that they are actually in sleeves (which are a tad tight but nothing bad) and then in the slipcase. Seeing the cassette brought back nostalgia but I will probably never play the physical cassette. Thank Thor for the download.

A minor complaint is that the pins were put in with the back side facing down towards the LP jacket which caused pressure marks all over the MOP jacket.

I really like for the 3 CD set that the cover is embossed. I feel that's a really nice touch (no pun intended). Hopefully they do that for AJFA as well.

I am really enjoying the remaster. I want to compare it to the downloaded version (which I believe is supposed to be the Bellman mix, correct?) and hear what the differences are. A side by side will also need to be done to the original CD.

Metallica really knows how to do these the right way. I don't know how anyone could really ask for more from this set. I also like how they "surprised" fans with the Japan show cassette, I just wish there was a download card for that. Couple that in with the MOP book that was released earlier this year and it almost appears this year was more about Master of Puppets than Hardwired.

It also brings me back to when I "discovered" Metallica in 1985. At the time I was already into Ozzy and Motley Crue and was discovering Iron Maiden & Judas Priest. The first thrash band/album I had gotten into was Anthrax's Spreading The Disease and I wanted more. I got to borrow the cassette version of MOP from a friend and dubbed a copy for myself. That fall was all about Metallica and MOP for me and my friends. Everyone had either a Metallica t-shirt, jacket patch, poster or tapestry...or all of the above. We were getting all the previous albums and the Garage Days EP. It felt like a musical revolution to us. This was "our" band; our metal. They were unapologetically changing the music landscape and metal in general. These weren't guys in frilly shirts, stage makeup or spandex (although Lars did wear spandex). And Justice For All would, for me, surpass this album because it was angrier and even more complex, but it was a great time to be discovering new metal and all the new bands that would gain popularity as a result.

5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Whoa, is it me or did Metallica get super tight as a band when Jason joined? The live shows with Jason are stunning. I’m listening to the West German 1987 show and it will take your face off! That might contain my favourite live version of The Four Horsemen I’ve heard.

You can hear James get into the vocal style he’d carry forth onto the Justice album and tour.

Fantastic playing by the guys here. What a show!

6. Yeah, that vocal style from Justice onward is really not my bag. I mean it's not bad, I can listen to it; it's good, but I think it's a step down from his style on Ride and Master. Different strokes. It just so happens that I have been ruminating on his vocal style lately, and remembering the $5.98 EP.

When they announced on the radio a "new Metallica song" I had no idea at the time that "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" was a cover song. It blew my mind! A three minute Metallica song! And so damn good!

With that number he still had that youthful vibrato in his vocals, as well as Last Caress/Green Hell. There was feeling, without so much grunting.

I forgot, when was it that he started taking vocal lessons because he was tearing his throat up? After Justice, yes? If so, that would figure.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Your post made me listen to this on the YouTube. It is a pretty amazing show, wish MOP wasn't cut. The Four Horsemen is really good and Whiplash is another face-melter!

Deuce66 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  8. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I hear you on this one but hey people get older and stuff starts to drop :laugh:

I fall into the category of liking early screaming James as well as what he became after the vocal lessons. When I saw them on this years tour James definitely still had it.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Awesome, glad you enjoyed that. I've heard a lot of shows, but when I played the CD last night I really took notice, in fact I played it twice in a row. Too bad that MOP was cut as well as Battery...man would I have loved to had heard that from the set. Just a brilliant set, smoking.

izombie73 likes this.
  10. Vinyl Fan 1973

I agree. Just listen to the full demo of MOP from 85, and the vocal style is complete Ride The Lightning era, and it's so cool to hear that track sung in that style.

11. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Question for whoever wishes to answer. Was the outer box with all the swag in damaged when you received it? I’ve had three from Amazon UK, all in the record company box with the foam protection. One was crushed on a corner, the other two scuffed across the front face of the box leaving off white marks across the surface. All of these have the additional wrapping with the European video classification and different barcode as well as the US wrapping. All of this suggests a handling issue before despatch.
    This has irked me enough to raise it with Amazon who have been very helpful. I have ended up paying a little over £92 for the set. The one I am keeping, unless the vinyl is buggered up, has a scuff on the front face which I can just about tolerate. Clearly this is me being anal about things but there it is.

Sci-Fi Kid likes this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yes, my box, although purchased in the big black outer box with packing foam, was scuffed up. Along the spine and one corner on the back. Seems weird since I know this did not happen in transit.

It seems they changed the material of the box this time around. The material and colour of the M logo does not really match the first two boxes. In fact the first two boxes were flawless. The black is not even the same tint as the first two boxes.

Perhaps they didn’t use the same company as the first time around.

SecondHandNews and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I lucked out,mine arrived from Soundstage Direct okay.I bought a set for my brother`s 51st birthday(tommorow)It`s also good.He`s going to love it I`m sure.
    It`s great when you know you can surprise somebody with something they will REALLY like instead of a mindless gift card.It`s just not possible most years.

I just absolutely LOVE all of this great music! Hoping for No Life and Justice boxes soon!

ODShowtime likes this.
  14. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I had the weird shavings on the 2nd Live at Aragon Ballroom vinyl. Someone else mentioned having this also. The LP played perfectly though, so no complaints.

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Got 3 CD Edition $18.95 CAN on Boxing Day at Sunrise.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. steveharris

Anybody catch that WI`86 soundboard the band broadcasted a few times?I heard it on youtube but it`s probably on livemetallica.

17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

What show is that?

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I didn't see if this was posted here, but somebody uploaded that Osaka'86-tape to youtube:

Setlist:

0:00 The Ectasy of Gold
    1:46 Battery
    6:28 Master of Puppets
    14:42 For Whom the Bell Tolls
    18:53 Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    25:01 Ride the Lightning
    31:12 Bass Solo
    33:45 Whiplash
    38:00 The Thing That Should Not Be
    44:27 Fade to Black
    51:40 Seek & Destroy
    58:10 Creeping Death
    1:05:41 The Four Horsemen
    1:10:15 Guitar Solo
    1:15:17 Am I Evil?
    1:19:00 Damage, Inc.
    1:24:09 Figh Fire with Fire

izombie73, johnny q and superstar19 like this.
  19. steveharris

Wisconson 1986 with Cliff opening for Ozzy officially mixed soundboard.Lars commentary and such.
    I`m not sure.I think I may have read it was first on Sirus Dec 6th and then rebroadcasted a few times.It sounds great!Personally I still favor the Japan DVD soundboard as my favorite show from the boxset.
    Ferocious performance ending with Fight Fire With Fire!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    SammyJoe likes this.
  20. Turboholic

Turboholic Forum Resident

21. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Well opened my box yesterday to finally enjoy it today. I originally was listening to either bootleg compilations with MoP tracks or HDtracks version and finally I clearly heard every element of sound and really felt that the drums had just the right amount of body and bass. To my ears and on my system (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB DC->Pioneer SA9900->Technics SB501) LP sounds brilliant. And what a treasure chest is the boxset itself! Very informative, interesting and great quality.

johnny q and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

I really wanna see this NLTL set get released but I guess we'll have to wait until Lars grows up... won't hold my breath

23. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Listening to this cd right now.

Yes, it’s a mind blowing performance.

Ranks with their best...and puts it in the conversation of rocks all time best officially released “live” rock recordings.

As perfect as this box is - this W German show on vinyl + Sweden vinyl on separate RSD releases or just Met Store releases would be perfect.

24. steveharris

Most of these would be a great Met Store vinyl limited edition!

Matthew Tate and Clanceman like this.
  25. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Hi guys great read here! MOP in my top 5 albums ever but never heard on record. Have a decent system Rega RP3 Nagaoka mp110, Marantz PM66 KI, Monitor Audio speakers. Should I get this remaster or risk a original press. Not a fan like others of the original production, I just want a copy that sounds huge! Not bothered with extras yet although love to hear how the dvds are as well. Tell me what to do people, thank you!