Does Anybody Remember NY DJ Tom Clay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by QuestionMark?, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL Thread Starter

I came across an acetate of Peek-A-Boo by The Cadillacs not too long ago and his name was written on the label so I searched it. Quite an interesting guy! Got to interview the Beatles. Any stories?

Tom Clay - Wikipedia

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. QuestionMark?

I guess I should have referred to him as Detroit DJ Tom Clay.

3. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

I had the 45 in 1971.

[​IMG]

Suncola and QuestionMark? like this.
  4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

What The World Needs Now was played on the radio in Melbourne. The song gets a bit sentimental in parts.
    At one stage I had a copy of the single, but it disappeared mysteriously, I can't see anyone who shared my house at the time being interested in it.

QuestionMark? likes this.
  5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have the promo 45 of "What The World Needs Now" and his full album on MoWest, but I never took the time to search out who he was. Of course, I also never researched any of the "other" DJ voices who were featured on I don't know how many of those goofy "break-in" records, that I used to listen to around that same time of my youthful life, as Tom Clay's record.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think my aunt had that MoWest 45. I don't like the piece much but it's a great label.

7. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Here in Germany the album was a bargain bin staple - I think I bought my copy for less than 1 Deutschmark - I still have the album and quite like it , but for some reason I didn't keep the cover and made one of my own (with a cutout of a kneeling Tom , probably from the back cover)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yes this is the picture I cut out and pasted on a brown cardboard sleeve (either the front cover was damaged or I didn't like the children's drawing back then, can't remember )

hi_watt and QuestionMark? like this.
  8. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Received some NYC airplay too

9. QuestionMark?

Does anyone remember Guy King, Tom Clay's on air personality in Detroit, Buffalo, NYC & L A??

10. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I seem to remember it getting pretty substantial airplay, albeit for a very brief period.

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Reached #8 Billboard in 1971.

12. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Played at the beginning of every hour on the UK offshore Radio Caroline for a while in the 70s.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Trivia/party question:
    Q What was the longest 45rpm single released on Motown before the Temptations classic Papa Was A Rolling Stone in 1972 ?
    A Tom Clay's What the World.../Abraham Martin and John (post#3).

14. QuestionMark?

I remember the song, but does anyone remember the man, Tom Clay (Guy King), as a radio personality?

15. Chris C

After a little digging, it appears that WWOL in Buffalo had at least two different radio personalities use the on-air name of "Guy King". The first was Tom Clay, circa 1955 and then later by Dick Purtan, who ended up in Detroit and who I'm familiar with, thanks to a friend of mine telling me about him years ago. (Note: Tom has passed and Dick Purtan is now retired). I can't find a radio air-check for either of them as "Guy King" online, but I did find this interesting little tidbit about Tom Clay's version of Guy King ...

Buffalo in the 50’s: WWOL’s Guy King arrested hanging out on a billboard – Buffalo Stories Archives & Blog

16. Chris C

By the way, to add to my post above, if you spin ahead to around the :49 second mark of the following video, you'll hear the radio call "bit" that my friend told me about, which instantly made me a fan of Dick Purtan, on Detroit Radio ...

17. QuestionMark?

funny, thanks!:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.