Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

Kramer said a while back that "Black Gold" isn't the holy grail everyone thinks it is.
    "Suddenly November Morning/Drifting" was pretty good. I'm not sure if it's actually from Black Gold though. I think Janie Hendrix said it was a studio recording. "Black Gold" is made up of home recordings.

2. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

Hendrix is the only one with an endless vault though. And he recorded enough quality material in 4 years to cover over 40 years of posthumous albums. It's amazing.

3. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I like the track to. Just don't think it should be on a mainstream release.
    Of course I'm going to buy this and on SACD to boot.
    Call it a weakness.

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It is a great track with great guitar from Jimi but it has Lonnie Youngblood on vocals - good vocals but a little out of place here. It's more like anthology rarity material (or blues compilation material!).
    From the same session "Blue Window" (also on the Scorcese comp) featured a Hendrix vocal and is a great jazzy jam. It was a long jam though (edited down to 13 mins on the album), so maybe that will reappear later.

Also on SSD was an October 67 take titled "Little Wing" (that was written on the tape log) but it was in fact a rudimentary run-through of a proto "Angel". I suspect that this new version is a return to those tapes with vibes added in January 68. Hope I'm wrong.

Yes, a shame about the naughty ad-libbed lyrics because the guitar playing is terrific.

A pity "12 Bar With Horns" wasn't included instead of the version of "Power Of Soul" which is too similar to the one on South Saturn Delta (and still features that muddled intro which I can't believe was a final approved mix).

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Target bonus track on PPH was 20 minutes.

EH recycled a Dagger track on the illustrated experience book bonus CD and advertised it as "commercially unreleased".

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Target (etc) exclusives annoy me. We're not all able to access them.

Hep Alien, Colocally and hodgo like this.
  7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I couldn't agree with you more, this is a pet peeve of mine, either release them for all to buy or don't bother.

8. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

We could apply that to a lot of releases.
    Licencing is the issue or put another way, business and who gets what from a deal! The customer always comes last in these things.
    Limited issues, for whatever reason
    Barnes and Noble
    Newbury Comics
    Acoustic Sounds
    Dagger
    FYI
    FNAC
    Target
    Yes, scratching the surface I know and I also know its not just Jimi .................................. it's BUSINESS!
    And I hate the way shipping fees are used to screw a customer even further! Such is life

Hey man, it's snowing outside! Merry Christmas and happy shopping folks.

Hep Alien, The Beave, Sean and 4 others like this.
  9. Gordon Johnson

Then if it's not that good or of commercial value then they can let fans hear it for free then!

Always easy to say about the "worth" of a piece when you have access of course.

What makes you doubt SNM is not from BG?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

Always loved this illustration. Had a picture on my wall at one point and even drew my own version for a college art project!

JeffMo and 905 like this.
  11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The colour choice reminds me of the "Nine to the Universe" cover, no such thing as an app in 1980 never mind an i-phone. Putting music on a phone is completely alien to me, would not have a clue how I would do that, I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and I probably don't use 90% of it's features..

hodgo and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Gordon Johnson

simply drag and drop the folder from the desktop onto the sd card off your phone, make sure its a playable format [MP3 .... Noooooooooo] like WAV.

hodgo and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I would need another way, my phone does not have an SD card, it only has non expandable memory, I'm not sure of it's capacity, I'll ask my son, he will know..

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

+1

Roberto899, Hamhead and Remurmur like this.
  15. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I'd hardly consider an extra track exclusive to one specific retailer to be indicative of what they'll release as a non bonus track on the available everywhere normal edition of this upcoming disc, especially in the middle of the tracklist as opposed to at the end like the Target bonus track was.

They aren't describing Jungle as "commercially unreleased" (from anything I've yet read anyway) The detail on it I've seen has said "previously unreleased". In contrast the track included in part on Lifelines is described as being "previously unreleased in full" since the Lifelines version was only a short excerpt.

I choose not to be cynical about the contents until there's actual reason/evidence to be, and so far there isn't, well except for 'Linda' which it seems likely will be another protools job combining vocals from one take onto a separate instrumental band track, since (I think) only two versions are known to exist from bootlegs/books/etc - a very rough unfinished demo with vocal (on Lifelines) and an unreleased instrumental band track.)

16. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

But since the retailer "exclusives" included on (I think) 2 previous releases weren't actually "exclusive", but rather just taken from previous Dagger releases I don't really consider them a big deal, since if you order the Daggers that those songs come from you get the Target (or wherever) so-called "exclusive" track along with a whole lot more. OTOH if you already have the Daggers then the Target (or wherever) bonus tracks are redundant/not worth tracking down.

What annoys me are the singles they've been releasing that include one exclusive track on them.

17. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Say what? What exactly did Kramer say about Black Gold a while back?

Suddenly November Morning is a home demo. It's from the Black Gold tape. It's all we have so far. And the tape certainly does deserve holy grail status among JH recordings, IMHO. There are a number of unheard songs on there, it was likely among one the last things he recorded solo, and rather than just being a collection of tunes it had some sort of concept to it.

Hep Alien, Chris M and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Who is that ?

Fred68 and Cokelike- like this.
  19. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

well, Kramer never lacks enthusiasm for Jimi's material and he obviously heard it...

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Shuggie Otis ??

[​IMG] ... ;)

Dodoz, Hep Alien, Fred68 and 3 others like this.
  21. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I think PacOBlue had the best idea awhile back.
    Create a box set around each of the albums that would include session work and demos for those songs, perhaps b-sides, live material to flesh it out.

Just a guess, but that might be the hook (along w hi-real releases) for the next deal they seek out.
    It appears Jimi will be with us for quite awhile yet, and personally, I think it's a good thing.

Imagine70 and Timothy Fiacco like this.
  22. Travelled everywhere with two Revox reel to reels was my understanding, and if you wanted to jam, you understood you were being recorded: John McLaughlin, Larry Young, Johnny Winter, Ted Nugent, etc.,

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Smokin Chains and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Could be possible....So let's run with that and everyone pile on.

What I do know that actually did happen, was somebody stepped up, got financial backing, the rights, set up a company, revitalized the catalog and memory of the artist, making product available that's fairly inexpensive in various formats, put money in the pockets of the musicians who played the music, as well as the man behind the board when it was created.

Imo there's a lot of good there, could it be improved? Maybe a little more selective in their branding? Sure. But I guess if your focused on diapers and other nonsense like that or other possible predjudices, then it's an easy thing not to see.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    The Beave, Fred68 and Brett44 like this.
  24. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

God, I love "12 Bar With Horns". It has such a cool vibe to it and just seems to go on and on and on and on...in a good way.

I've thought about looping it at points to make a super extended version that reaches 30 minutes or more.

Crazy good track.

For those aware of this track, it's available below on the "Love or Confusion" CD single:

Jimi Hendrix - Love Or Confusion

25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Kramer also said there wasn't enough material to put out another commercial release, but here we are.

While I won't put too much into Black Gold, I'll throw this out there.
    It's Jimi strumming and putting a few ideas to tape, but POSSIBLY could Jimi have been heading toward a more quieter, acoustic thing?
    That seemed to be where music was at in 1970, singer-songwriters gaining popularity.
    What was released didn't seem to be in the tone of the crazy stuff he did, but quieter material like Drifting.

Hep Alien, hodgo and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.