The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Kenny Wheeler - Deer Wan (24/192 High Rez)
    1978, ECM

[​IMG]

Voltaire, Marzz, DrJ and 6 others like this.
  2. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Listened to samples of this on iTunes and enjoyed them, so ordered the CD and now waiting for it to arrive.

[​IMG]

3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Sonny RollinsWhat's New [CDs 1b/2a on The Complete RCA Victor Recordings box] (RCA Victor)
    — With Jim Hall (guitar), Bob Cranshaw (bass), Ben Riley (drums) plus Candido or Dennis Charles, Frank Charles & Willie Rodrguez (percussion) & background singers; "Don't Stop The Carnival" originally issued only on the French release.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sneaky Pete, Marzz, DrJ and 12 others like this.
  4. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Wasn't on my radar at all until I got that Resonance comp Jazz Haunts & Magic Vaults (comp with a Bill Evans pre-order). Same with the live Hubbard. Those tunes they included on that sold me big time.

5. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Can anyone who has experience with the set comment on it please? Fred Kaplan's rview in Stereophile when it was originally release is very positive and states that the sound, recorded direct to 2-track, is "stunning". This was recorded 3 years after those great VV live sides and I don;t belive I've herad any of this material. Last copies seem to be around, and Pure Pleasure has it for 150# or about $200 USD, Elusive has it for $250. Seems reasonable considering that individual PP titles are $35.

Features:
    • Limited Edition
    • Pressed at Pallas in Germany
    • Audiophile Re-Mastering
    • 7 180 Gram Vinyl Box Set
    • 16 Page Booklet with new notes by Alun Morgan and four interviews with Art Pepper by Les Tomkins from 1979, 1980 & 1981.
    • 17 Performances Previously Unavailable
    • Includes all the tracks released on the two Mole Jazz LPs: Blues For The Fisherman and True Blues

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Even those who do not have this particular set, how was the music being played by this band at the time?

Soulpope and DrJ like this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

That comp sounds cool. Let me know on the sound of that Hub, the samples sound a bit didgy but the setlist looks tasty.

7. AxiomAcoustics

Yeah man, he's been pretty active on the music scene here in Orygun and Greg Goebel plays locally quite often, nice to see him pop up here :thumbsup:

GeoffC likes this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Oh it's dodgy sound-wise that's for sure - at least the track on that comp is and I have to think the rest is the same...but the groove is there. I've certainly heard worse, but it's not bad enough that I wouldn't give it repeated listens (Coltrane's Inner Man is one like this, great music and playing but SQ effects how many time I return to it).

9. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

10. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

From The Complete Vee Jay Lee Morgan-Wayne Shorter Sessions Mosaic box set...

[​IMG]

Marzz, DrJ, Henry Please and 5 others like this.
  11. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

First off, you need to really like Art Pepper since this set is a lot of Art Pepper! And it's pretty expensive although not for an 'audiophile' reissue.

I've not listened thoroughly to the entire set but generally it is good and enjoyable if you like late Pepper. In terms of comparison, though, I prefer the later (1981) live performances at Maiden Voyage with a different band (issued as several albums on Galaxy). I also prefer the earlier (1977) live sets at the Village Vanguard with the great band of George Cables, George Mraz and Elvin Jones. These were released as several albums on Contemporary and also in a complete CD box set. To me, these other performances seem to have greater emotional urgency than the Ronnie Scott ones, good as they are.

Sonic-wise, I think they are about par with the Maiden Voyage sets. On vinyl, anyway, the VV ones are superior IMO.

The Mole Jazz vinyl records sound very good, possibly better than this box although I've not done a side-by-side comparison. (Bear in mind, though, I generally do not like the sound of most audiophile reissues). These used to be very rare but may be more easily available now that this Pure Pleasure box has been released. They are a good alternative if you don't need/want to spend so much or have so much Art Pepper. Or, just acquire the CD version of the box which is much cheaper (I've no idea what it sounds like).

BTW my Ronnie Scott box had one record that was badly damaged thru' poor manufacturing. Pure Pleasure very kindly mailed me a replacement at no charge. It's a pleasure to deal with them.

AxiomAcoustics and Marzz like this.
  12. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Joe McPhee / Pascal Niggenkemper / Ståle Liavik Solberg - Imaginary Numbers

[​IMG]

AxiomAcoustics, Marzz, DrJ and 3 others like this.
  13. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Such a great album. So jealous of those new to this music and having great sounding options to discover it for the first time.

Bobby Buckshot and Morbius like this.
  14. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Now playing: Wes Montgomery

[​IMG]

Have been in a major Wes mood since the recent and outstanding RSD Paris 65 vinyl release came out. My OJC vinyl of Full House is going nicely with a Deschutes Jubleale

15. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

16. Bobby Buckshot

Is that a lute?

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  17. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

Turkish oud!

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  18. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Masabumi Kikuchi Sextet - Matrix

[​IMG]

Marzz, DrJ, jay.dee and 1 other person like this.
  19. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Erroll Garner- The Complete Concert By The Sea
    [​IMG]
    Joyous music!

20. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

21. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

More joyous music! Keeping "both" themes going.

Henry Please likes this.
  22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

that'd be me. I'm just barely getting through my Miles phase thru KOB, plus Silent Way. I've played most of it through once, but not enough to have absorbed it by any stretch. So I'm kind of saving the second quintet for a while. Its like Dylan. He moved so fast, its taking my whole life to be ready for this phase or that phase.

WorldB3 likes this.
  23. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Don't have the vinyl but have the 4 CD release on Laurie Pepper's Widow's Taste label, and it sounds great, and the music is fabulous (cover art, well that's another story...)
    [​IMG]
    Can be had for less than $40 - though I would love to hear that all-analog vinyl pressing and you're right $200-250 isn't too shabby a price.

24. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Well, I get to cross seeing Mahavishnu John live off of my list of things to do...

Very good show; final night of the tour...

[​IMG]

Erik B., AxiomAcoustics and DrJ like this.
  25. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

PRS Doubleneck!?

Only seen a couple of those.

Fender Relic likes this.