New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Are they releasing this title?

mick_sh likes this.
  2. Sam

Sam Senior Member

How do you know????? You haven't heard them yet. You can't be disappointed in a product that no one has yet.

mick_sh likes this.
  3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

You're funny! You want them to publicly justify their prices? Let's see, did all the One Steps sell out so far? Yep. Does that mean that the public is willing to pay $100 per title? Yep. Are they selling for 2 to 4 times that price on ebay? YEP. There's your proof as to what the public is willing to pay. Doesn't matter if it cost Chad or Mofi $1 per pressing, it's always about what the public is willing to pay. When something is priced too high, it won't sell. Simple as that.

Lucca90 and rollo5 like this.
  4. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

There must be a good reason why these Hendrix are 33 1/3. Licensing perhaps? Anyway, 33, 45 or 78 Chad can’t put a lower price tag in his flagship editions. Otherwise people will think about UHQR as an inferior product compared to the UD1S of the direct competitor. Marketing basics.

5. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Sure I can be disappointed. Read my post again. It has nothing to do with hearing it. It was a commentary on my disappointment in the pricing and value received. I didn't mention the sound at all. I have the 200g BG Classic Mono. I listened to it earlier today and it sounds great. I can't imagine this being a substantial improvement over that pressing, but I have little doubt that it will sound great. That said, I paid less than $25 shipped for that pressing and this one will have to be more than just a slight upgrade to justify more than 4 times the price. With the specs provided by AP the only seeming difference, beyond packaging, is clear vinyl. I just don't see it being worth the asking price. Thus my comment on the value and judging that it should have been priced closer to $35-50. I'm not the only one disappointed in this product no one has yet.

jgrillo likes this.
  6. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Not that I'm aware of. I'm mainly steering clear of this expensive single LP because I've bought it so many times already.
    I have 4 different copies of this LP in stereo, and mono, including the Classic Records issue in Mono. I do think the MoFi
    one step process is the better value, if were talking about the same LP title.

markmck79 likes this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Could be part of the license agreement. AFAIK, there isn't a 2xLP 45rpm studio Hendrix album out. Perhaps Experience Hendrix wishes to keep these albums the way they were originally released (1xLP @ 33rpm).

mick_sh likes this.
  8. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Chad has banged his fist on the table releasing Hendrix as the first new UHQR, that’s for sure. No matter what RPM, Hendrix is more powerful than Santana. I don’t like aggressive marketing strategies (no discounts, no free shipping) but to each his own.

Pythonman likes this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Please reread my post. I think you missed my point.

markmck79 likes this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I plan to buy as many as I can afford. These will only increase in value.

jonnyeric, rollo5 and zphage like this.
  11. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I hear you on not wanting to buy another copy. But I must ask, why so many copies? Is it to collect different label or cover versions, or are you seeking the best sounding copy? If it's the latter, than you "may" be missing out on the best sounding copy to ever be offered. I say may, as no one yet knows.

12. AnalogJ

I'm not sure what you mean by Hendrix being more "powerful" than Santana. Can you expound?

Hendrix was certainly FAR more curious and experimental as a musician than Santana. Santana has largely played it in the pocket, but "power"??

Guss2 likes this.
  13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I'm sure there's more to the upcoming sound of this release than just the clarity vinyl. Many screamed at the price of the first One Step from mofi as well, but now, it sells for 5 times that price and is considered to be heads and tails sonically above ANY version of Abraxas ever released. I too have the Classic mono, and it is fantastic. However, I never owned the stereo version. The way I see it, unless it's a complete flop sound wise, I can always sell it for equal to, or more than likely, higher than what I paid for it. As far as the shipping is concerned, that indeed is a sore point with me as well. Mofi and music direct offer free shipping on those things, and they should for the price. Chad did get a little greedy there, and I hope people call him out on it. C'mon, he could mail it out with economy shipping under media mail.

markmck79 likes this.
  14. AnalogJ

I, too, have the Classic Mono. Fremer loved it when he came out, but he also prefers the stereo mix. There was a BG mastering of the stereo version somewhat recently, was there not?

If this were absolutely one of my favorite all-time albums, I'd be buying these new ones. The question is what new can be opened up with the new mastering? Given that the stereo version was previously done by the same person, I'm more skeptical that the new one will be a significant improvement (a 45rpm would automatically render an improvement) . To contrast, with the recent Bill Evans Village Vanguard, KW brought a different set of ears and tastes to the album than SH/KG. I think that contributed to the difference in sound than anything.

markmck79 and rollo5 like this.
  15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

All valid points really but after watching the promotional video there are more reasons for the higher price than packaging and clear vinyl. The production process is claimed to more hands on and the quality control much more rigorous in strictly limited quantities. If they deliver on all that these will be well worthy of the special release designation. If they priced them at $35-50 they'd be awfully close to the price of their regular releases. So, from that point of view maybe all their vinyl is too pricey. I have a lot of it though and for the most part I find it well worth it.

16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Yeah, I was taking about power from a marketing standpoint. Maybe "power" was not the right word. Let's say you open a movie theater, promising the best image and sound quality because you have used special techniques to achieve that. I open another movie theater, different techniques but promising the same thing. In the opening day, your theater is screening "Dog Day Afternoon". Ok, a very good movie with astonishing sound and image quality in your theater. Everybody is happy: best they have seen that movie ever.

When I open my theater, I have secured the rights to screen "The Godfather I & II". It doesn't matter if you like "Dog Day Afternoon" best, it's that I'm screening the bl**dy Godfather.

rollo5 likes this.
  17. John D.

John D. Senior Member

To answer your question, I have been buying vinyl since the 60's and I'm a sucker for Hendrix vinyl.
    Occasionally I would buy an LP not even knowing I already it (now with discogs I no longer buy duplicates)
    Also looking for the best sound like most people on this forum. It's possible that I will cave in and buy
    this issue too before it's all over with. At this point I'm putting up a fight not to.

18. AnalogJ

I think I got it.

For me, I could watch all three of them all day long. :-popcorn:

mick_sh likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

$100 for 2lp at 45 rpm and 'one step' is one thing but $100 for single 33 rpm Lp using standard plating process on fancy clear vinyl is another. From experience of Classic Records it's the mastering and 45 rpm speed that count most towards better sound. Anyway most of the 'clarity' Classic Records issues were 45 rpm single sided discs.

markmck79, FashionBoy and AnalogJ like this.
  20. AnalogJ

But are you telling me that at $40 for a single disc, they can't bring stringent quality control to the process?

21. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

The guy in the promo video seems to do a visual check of every single pressed vinyl. For $100, I expect no less than a Larry David level visual check before they say hmm, OK.

[​IMG]

22. AnalogJ

For $100, their QC ought to be better than pret-ty, pret-ty good.

23. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Could the licensing fees be really high considering it's a limited release & Hendrix?

24. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Yes, you're right it should be on another level from the norm if not down right perfect. If so, maybe they've justified why these cost over twice the price, at least to enough people to sell them out.

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't have a problem with this release being a 33 rpm release. I own two MFSL UHQR releases and they're 33.

mick_sh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.