Neil Young Harvest Moon 2XLP Reissue for Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. witchcult

witchcult Well-Known Member

picked this up this past Saturday. the record store still had copies for $22. sounds really great. very happy with this pressing.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  3. Any release date for the new Harvest Moon? I don't see a date listed on SoundStage.

4. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

April fortieth, nineteen ninety never.

jjm905 and Jack like this.
  5. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Well, I am happy for everybody who got good copies of this one. I had to order mine from a dealer on discogs who is based in the Netherlands. It arrived this afternoon really well packaged. When I saw Record 1, I could not believe my eyes! My copy is riddled with what looks like small bubbles or ‘pimples’ on the surface and surface marks due to a really awful inner sleeve. My first thought was a catastrophically bad pressing but now I am thinking that the record had to have been exposed to a source of heat because effectively it has melted. How Record Industry could ship a record like this to the marketplace is beyond belief? The other record looks fine/normal which is even more surprising. I must take a photograph and post what I got for all to see. Even the worst plants don’t ship records as bad as this one! This RSD Release was not available in Ireland and I really regret ordering it now given this experience. It is the worst record I ever got in over 47 years of buying vinyl records.

6. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Sorry Gene for this debacle, will you post a picture?

7. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Yes, I will try and take one and post it, if I can figure out how to do it, that is! Never have seen anything like this before. Very strange coming from a manufacturer like Record Industry? If it was from a certain manufacturer in Eastern Europe I would be much less surprised.

8. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

Finally got my copy, and it sounds pretty great overall. If anything, the only thing I'm noticing is some hissy S's and overall thinness of sound on Natural Beauty. But for the most part, I'm happy to have this on vinyl. Feels nice to be able to drop a needle and hear Unknown Legend.

polchik likes this.
  9. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

They were contained to a few segments, pronounced but not jarring to my ears. I didn't feel that they were non-fill related as they were as harsh as and as high frequency as the ones on some of the other recent Neil reissues.

10. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Just got this and overall pretty pleased but I’ve got nothing to compare it too. It a nice album so worth it along with Sleeps With Angels my favourite two 90’s NY albums. It is indeed stad overly trebly in places.

I also got the Time Fades Away reissue but unfortunately up against my original Neil Young - Time Fades Away
    It is falls short. I am not 100% sure why I bought it, I suppose it was the sale that got me. It will not be hanging around.

hi_watt likes this.
  11. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Preorder is now up at MusicDirect as well. $24.99/2LP. What was the RSD MSRP?

Matt Starr likes this.
  12. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Same MSRP. Thanks for the heads up about pre-order. I have a couple of friends who missed out.

13. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I got a pretty rough copy, it plays, but with noise here and there. Yours sounds worse.

14. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I didn’t even play mine. If you saw it you would be appalled. It has what I would describe as vinyl ‘blisters’ all over Sides 1 and 2. I took some photos but these do not really show how bad it actually is. I am sending it back and am not sure if I will bother with the next release of this album. I have no luck whatsoever with Neil Young vinyl. Non-fill is bad enough but this is a new low. Record Industry must have no Quality Control whatsoever to let my copy through? I wish Warner/Rhino would stick with Optimal as I have mostly good luck with their vinyl, but with occasional ‘non fill’ discs.

15. dahoo

dahoo Forum Resident

It is not rare for me to see bubbles or bumps on the vinyl disc but not bad enough to skip, at first i may fear it could break my needle but the stylus will track fine without even hearing a pop or click.

16. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

This record is quite exceptional as it is strewn with bubbles or blisters all over the surface, on the lead in groove and even in the dead wax! I have a very early 1970s Tom Rush U.S. Columbia LP that is a little bit like this but not as bad and from memory it is a noise fest. I don’t play it. Experience tells me that my NY disc will sound horrible. I have seen discs with occasional bubbles, pits etc. that do not affect play but this one is another league altogether.

17. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Available in Dublin... Head Records EU pressing €38; Tower records US pressing €50 (but pressed in EU if you get my drift.

JG

swedgin likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Have to say this is brilliant sounding.
    This album I rate higher now it's in my top 4 NY records.

Tuck1977 and Sgt Pepper like this.
  19. alexpop

Wonder if Neil Young will do another Harvest titled album Harvest Trois.

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Couldn't the entire vault series just be called Harvesting?

canada_toque and chacha like this.
  21. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Wouldn’t be tempted at either of those price points. The quality of presentation of this release does not suggest €38 or €50. The records are in really lousy semi card inner sleeves that cause hairline scratches. I think they’re having a laugh at us?

22. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I notice it doesn't have the typical NYA (Neil Young Archives) Logo on the back of the sleeve like all his other titles! That could be telling! Would love to see a photo of said damage!

JG

23. alexpop

Use other inner sleeve problem solved.

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don’t think I’ve ever had an inner sleeve cause damage to a record that I know of.

violetvinyl likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... there are several albums from the 90's/ 00's that came in super sturdy inners and buying them 2nd hand you sometimes can see hairlines caused by former owners who didn't bother to put them into poly liners.

Satrus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.