New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Perhaps no one but Arnie (who I believe still shares a fascination with Billboard #1s) will share interest in this, but ...

Anyone surprised the new U2 will move roughly 170k (US) to hit #1 this week? That's wayyy higher than I would've expected.

I only bring it up here because I don't want it be perceived as "U2 bashing" in one of their threads (nor do I really wish that to happen here), and because we also frequently debate sales potential/marketing strategies here, and how to optimize first-week sales for Paul. That's just about double what I would've expected those guys to move in this day and age. Anyone venture a guess as to what the next McCartney album will move week one? I don't think I could guess above about 50k at this point...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. C_Jepson

C_Jepson Forum Resident

[​IMG] At work on the upcoming album in Australia...?

Mr. Explorer, supermd, Tord and 4 others like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That is pretty good (170k) for U2. Any idea what the actual sales numbers for PHYSICAL product are for their new album? I presume that releasing an album for the Xmas market still provides benefits. I would be curious if U2 had released this album in say February, just to see if the sale totals fluctuated in a dramatic way.

As for Paul: My guess is that 50-70k is likely for the first week. NEW sold 67,000 in its first week in the USA.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Who cares about U 2
    My prediction is that McCartneys next album will sell I million the first week 2 millions the second week and 5 millions the third week. This analysis is based on the things I have heard from insiders(I am not allowed to tell this but do it anyway) that the first single will be a mash up of Bip Bop featuring both Adele, Kanye West, Rhianna, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. That one will set the wheels in motion and makes Pauls next album his biggest seller ever.
    ;)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Or just takin a nap like most people on their seventies sometimes do

6. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

1) It's his Hogg Hill Mill studios in Sussex
    2) This photo is from 2015

7. C_Jepson

C_Jepson Forum Resident

Ah yes then he must have been busy at work on High in the Clouds...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

9. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I see they photoshopped out the comically large spliff he's smoking. :laugh:

10. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

In front of a mixing desk in a studio with his hand on the faders*. I'm just kidding, he's obviously deep in thought/stoned.

*edit: the knobs. His hand's too far up for the faders.

11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

He's probably hitting the compression knob!

12. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Hm. Wouldn't that picture be upside-down if it were taken in Australia?
    [​IMG]

13. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

No, my brother is 70 and he is always going between hunting, renovating houses and maintaining his home he never stops, so there

14. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

AHHH so the album is called "????"!
    Great. Now we know the title. Anyone wanna take a ponder as to what the cover art will look like?

15. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

But Paul's 75:blah:;)o_O:-plnktn-:

16. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Off topic, but hey there's nothing else going on here ... I gave the NEW album (the old New album, not the new untitled album) a spin today for the first time in months, and damn it really holds up! Strong from beginning to end, including the various bonus tracks. Maybe it doesn't have the gravitas of C&C, or the mad genius of MAF, but it's just a joyful, enjoyable pop album -- one that Paul could be very proud of if it were to be his last. Hope it isn't, but until we know for sure we have something great to listen to.

Jayseph, Mr. Explorer, Zeki and 5 others like this.
  17. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

What concerns me is this. After recently hearing a new song called "In the blink of an eye" by McCartney. Is his voice simply shot ?

On this Blink tune, his voice has the weathered sound of Early Days on the New album. Problem is, "Blink" isin't that type of au naturel canvas. Blink is a McCartney pop song wrapped in lush production, yet his vocals grate like sandpaper...

Just making an observation. How does he sound live these days ?. It's sad, we knew this day was coming, the conversation about whether he's shot as a singer...

I'm hoping Blink, is an anomaly & all this work on a new album pays off. His late career albums have been so strong, I've been waiting, complaining about the wait, but after hearing Blink, I gotta ask, can he still sing well enough to sing his own songs, or adapt his writing, to fit his now lesser vocal range ?

18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

From what I have seen Paul's current voice is a far cry from the tremendous instrument it used to be. With that said he sure is able to carry a tune. Guess we have to deal with the fact that Paul is human like the rest of us. Personally I love his performance on Early days and if the material is right I don t worry at all about his voice. The problem might be bigger for those listeners who have problems accepting that age affects everyone. As long as Paul is able to carry a tune I refuse to say his voice is shot. If he let the new album reflects his age it can be a very rewarding listening.

Zeki and Sean Murdock like this.
  19. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

strange clothes for a summer in Australia

20. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Look closer, it's the same room the Beatles did Free As A Bird & Real Love...where he's sitting, close to where George & Paul hug near the end of the Real Love video....

efegarcia likes this.
  21. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  22. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

The most awkward thing ever caught on film.

j/k :D

johnny moondog 909 and FKA002 like this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its shot.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[​IMG] ;)

25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s not.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.