Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Dagger Clark Cd bonus interview has Noel saying he and Mitch had a 25/25/50 deal for the JHE stuff. Who knows what contracts say or if any contracts still exist(it's rumoured that no signed contracts exist). IIRC, Cox/Mitch/Noel were never given royalties willingly.

Noel got bad legal advice and implied that there he was "forced" to sign away recording royalties. Luckily the publishing for the 2 songs kept him solvent. Plus later in life he sold some acetates/clothing/8mm stuff. Mitch sold the Woostock guitar for $400k.

I was under the impression that Kramer/Cox/Mitch were on yearly salary for media work/mixing/in person appearances. Keeping up a PR front for EH that it was for Jimi's legacy. IIRC, pre-EH Noel did some interviews for $10,000 a shot where he could say whatever he wanted.

What annoys me most is fairly essential stuff was buried on those b-sides. Dance/Mississippi/12 bar/Jimi mix of Power of Soul. It's easier to ignore stuff like extra Purple Haze performances from the FIllmore. I wish they could use the b-sides/RSD/Target bonus tracks to really get into the alternate studio take jam stuff - much never booted/limitless supply/won't threaten future mainstream releases.

The biggest argument being made is they simply aren't releasing stuff fast enough. Yearly Daggers, mainstream release evry 3 years or so, 4 disc boxes plus a notable live release every 2 years. That leaves plenty of untapped stuff to dangle as a carrot whenever they need another $XX mil for every major label licencing deal they get every 10-12 years.

Sean, Hep Alien, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Straightened his nose and slightly slanted his eyes. Bonkers.

Sean, Hep Alien, E.Baba and 1 other person like this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Mike's version still looks like Jimi, the EH retouch is a joke.

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and E.Baba like this.
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well, the version of "Woodstock" with Jimi isn't great. It's a really rough demo, not even a guitar track on it. Certainly can understand if Stills didn't think it was "salvageable". "30 Dollar Fine" sounds quite promising though.

Hep Alien, ExHead and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

My Granddaughter is really excited about this new album;

Sean, Rooster_Ties, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  6. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

They have given him a nose job Oh My God, that is sick.

E.Baba and DTK like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Uh oh, EH could have a viral backlash brewing here. Stoopid.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

Unbelievable. The frankensteining has now gone far beyond Hendrix’s unreleased canon, but to his image. How incognisant and disgraceful can Experience Hendrix be? This is the epoch of social justice and outrage! Lightening one’s skin colour and editing facial features to appear more European or seemingly ‘attractive’ are not only disgraceful, but will, with certainty, not go down without a major media fight.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  9. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Not to mention I'm up to about half a dozen tracks I'm not thrilled about already. It makes buying the vinyl less likely since I'd be stuck with their sequencing. Already have that problem with the previous 'assortment ' release/s.
    Might not really be a problem since I liked the COL & RB CDs.

DTK likes this.
  10. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

So I pulled out the Ultimate Hendrix session book.

On November 24, 1969 there were 5 takes of "Jungle" recorded. Takes 1 and 4 are noted as being
    good. Take 1 was released on "Morning Symphony Ideas". We may be getting take 4 this time.

Sean, jhm, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  11. SoundAdvice

If they do SACD you get the high quality audio plus a "skip" button. And you can play the whole thing without getting up.

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

They're not the original single versions, but slightly different alternate mixes, the original single verions have never been reissued.

The thing is that the Dagger's were also released in the US only, so were not any easier to get for someone outside North America (the poster you replied to is in Australia and I'm in Europe). I didn't get the Dagger's initially because it was so expensive and just plain complicated to get them, and now many of them are out of print. The singles you mention are much easier to get a hold of over here.

O.T., but: If anyone has any suggetions on where to buy the Dagger releases in Europe, that would be appreciated.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Are you able to share a playlist or directory/track structure how you do this? Sounds very well organized, given the number of EH releases it's starting to make my head spin :eek:

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I could study those 2 pictures all day and not be able to tell much of a difference at all . . . but that's just me.
    Ultimately, the music inside is of far greater importance to me.

Jam757, Rooster_Ties and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Wayne Hubbard

Going through the Ultimate Hendrix book some more.

The 'Hear My Train A Comin' could come from one of three sessions.

April 2, 1969: Several takes. But, mostly jams.
    April 7, 1969: Several "terrific" takes.
    April 9, 1969: Several takes with Jimi adding a lead guitar overdub.

I don't believe a version of HMTAC has been officially released from any of those sessions.

The "Lover Man" could have been recorded on December 15, 1969. But with no vocal. Same
    session as "Born Under A Bad Sign" from the "Blues:" compilation

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Totally excited at the prospect of a new Hendrix album in 2018...I can't help it, even if we're probably familiar with most of the stuff on it already.

Hep Alien, 905, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you do that. we all know that there is no hendrix studio albums after 1970. these are compilations to me

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  18. SoundAdvice

Have you read some of their old press releases?

"Experience Hendrix LLC and Sony Commercial Music Group proudly announce the release of "People, Hell & Angels", an essential new album..."

19. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well I wouldn't have the time or patience to list the contents of all the playlists (several of which overlap tracks) but they're largely based/searchable/create-able by how I tag the individual tracks such as:

Message To Love (Mix Aug 22, 1970) West Coast Seattle Boy

...and...

My Friend (Mar 3, 1968) (Mix Dec 2, 1970) First Rays Of The New Rising Sun

...and in the My Friend example its quite easy to sort/search by recording and mix date separately and playlist it into both an "EL album outtakes" playlist and a "Kramer posthumous mixes originally included on COL/RB/WH" playlist.

For songs recorded in a single session I include the recording date, as opposed to tracks recorded and overdubbed over multiple sessions which I usually just use Mix date (especially if the mix date is from back in the day as opposed to a modern mix) so that I don't have to have a bunch of tags like (to name a crazy made up example):

(Nov 24/27, 1969 & Feb 2/9/17, & Apr 12, & May 5/7, 1970)

For tracks like that which were revisited with overdubs several times, its far easier (and less of a cluttered mess) to just tag by the Mix date of the track, rather than listing multiple recording dates.

However where the tracks were recorded in a single session I'll still include the mix date as well if known even if its modern - so you can search by for example "1997 mix" and get all of those drawn from SSD & the Purple box, and search by "1999 mix" and listen to all of those from the Purple box.

Anyway I hope that helps, and if anyone has come up with a better way of organizing the mess that is posthumous Hendrix, please share. This is the best way I've come up with, but I'm quite sure better/easier/clearer/less confused/confusing ways are possible.

Gauth, Hep Alien and hvbias like this.
  20. Matthew Tate

to me album just means a physical release of songs thats longer than an ep. some people seem to be taking the word album literally . i call them greatest hits albums. its not a single or an ep its a full length album

21. Wayne Hubbard

Simple definition.

An album is a collection of audio recordings issued as a single item on CD, record, audio tape or another medium.

22. Wayne Hubbard

Your system is similar to mine. Except mix dates are not always the "final" date. I default to the last date that a track had something "added to it". Thankfully with Jimi, on most occasions, he usually did some minor overdubs on the
    day the song was mixed. So it doesn't make a major difference.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

They do a good job of being semi-self-contained collections of tracks----some remakes of the 67 hits, some nice post-ELL studio material, maybe a live track here and there. It's a more accessible, appealing way of marketing them to the broadest group of potential fans than if they did it like Jimi Hendrix Anthology Volume 1, 2, etc.

24. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Left: Jimi Hendrix___Right: Jimmy Hendricks

25. Matthew Tate

exactly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.